I've had it with frizz!!

curlgoddesscurlgoddess Posts: 11Registered Users
I'm at my wit's end trying to find the right products for my fine, dehydrated curly hair. I have spent a fortune on hair products, and I'm still not getting the results I want. I'm hoping that I can find some great tips here so I don't have to go back to blow drying my hair (or "blow frying" as Lorraine Massey of Devacurl says).

My current regime is Devacurl No Poo every other day, L'Oreal Liss Ultime Conditioner daily, and Ouidad Climate Control Gel (scrunched in after blotting my hair with a thin flour sack towel). A couple of hours after my hair naturally dries, it turns frizzy and I just want to scream! I've found that a temporary fix is to spray on some Aphogee Leave in Conditioner, but the results are short lived. I live in New York City, which is quite humid right now.

I need a good daily conditioner - the Liss Ultime is soooo pricey and it's meant as a deep conditioner to be used once a week. I also may need something other than Climate Control to style my hair. I've read good reviews about Marc Anthony Curl Envy, but I don't know anyone who uses it.

For conditioners, I tend to like more natural products, or at least those that don't have a perfumey smell (most commercial products do). I've seen some good reviews on Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner, but I don't want to buy more products until I've gotten some advice here. Devacurl One Condition was too heavy for my hair, even though it was recommended at the Devachan salon where I originally went to get educated about curly hair.

I'm looking forward to some suggestions. I think I've come to the right place. Very few people understand the frustration of dealing with frizzy curly hair and wanting to transform it to a professional look.

I've attached a photo so you can see the frizz!
Low-poo: Deva NoPoo
Conditioner: Shi Kai Color Reflect or Body Shop Rainforest
Deep Conditioner: L'Oreal Liss Ultime
Leave-in: Dramatics Director's Choice
Stylers: Dramatics Idol Maker Mousse
Methods: dry with flour sack towel, apply leave in conditioner, wait 15 min and apply mousse, dry naturally or diffuse with Devafuser or sock diffuser

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Like most others on here, I started with the Deva products and originally thought they were fine for my hair. Once I got on nc.com and became a pj, I found they were nothing special, for me. My salon has them, so I'd let them use the NoPoo when I went in every six weeks for my haircut/highlight. When the ingredients changed about 18 months ago, I found that it made my hair really dry and "odd." It took it a while to recover.

When I searched the L'Oreal conditioner, I got a masque (you said it was a DT, so I assumed that was correct.) Here are the ingredients that I found:
    Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Centrimonium Chloride, Trideceth 12, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Magnesium Acetate, 2 Oleamido 1, 3 Octadecanediol, Aspartic Acid, Glycine, Arginine HCl, Glutamic Acid, Perfume (Fragrance)

My hair likes natural products and I wouldn't use something with those ingredients. It has Amodimedimethicone (Amodimethicone and other Amine-functionalized Silicones | NaturallyCurly.com) a non water soluble cone according to Curl Chemist, Lanolin (the "ingredient" that waterproofs sheep) and paraben. If you're only using NoPoo, the first two ingredients may be causing a lot of your problems. They both coat the hair shaft and aren't letting moisture in.

You need to clarify, remove these ingredients and start with a "clean slate."

To me, companies that have some of the more natural products are Curl Junkie, Spiral Solutions, Marie Dean, Donna Marie, Kinky Curly and Kozama. You may want to try products from those lines.

Since your hair is fine, you probably need to do regular PTs--and since your hair is dry, you'll have to follow up with DTs. CJ has two moisturizing PTs, Repair Me and Curl Fix. Spiral Solutions PT is also great.

Once you start using products without cones (so stay away form Marc Anthony), I think you'll be able to get some moisture into your hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlgoddesscurlgoddess Posts: 11Registered Users
    Thanks so much for enlightening me about why the moisture problem wasn't getting resolved. The Devachan people had me believing that their products were super hydrating.

I'd love to try some of the products you recommended, but I like to see/touch/smell products before buying them. I'm disappointed that I don't see any retail locations near me that sell the brands you recommended: Curl Junkie, Spiral Solutions, Marie Dean, Donna Marie, Kinky Curly and Kozama.

I'm wondering what is the best way to begin. I've spent so much money on hair products that do nothing for me. In fact, some have probably even damaged my hair as you pointed out. My budget is now stretched to the max! Any suggestions? Help!
    Methods: dry with flour sack towel, apply leave in conditioner, wait 15 min and apply mousse, dry naturally or diffuse with Devafuser or sock diffuser
  • imagabsterimagabster Posts: 71Registered Users
    There are a lot of budget friendly products out there that are sulfate and silicone free!

For co-washing, a lot of people like v05 and suave natural conditioners! Many people also use tressemmee naturals conditioner to wash their hair, and some even use it as a leave-in also!

Conditioners you could try are garnier fructis triple nutrition, I have used this both as a rinse out and a leave in! If you have a sallys by you, GVP conditioning balm is really popular on the boards (it's the generic of biolage)!

For styling products, I really like herbal essences set me up gel, and a lot of other people really like la Bella or la looks gel. I've also been reading good things about ecostyler gel at sallys on the boards!

All of these things can be found at any walmart or target (except for the few things from sallys) and are generally under $5! Its a good starting point at least, Im a college student so I try to find as many budget-friendly drugstore products as possible! I hope this helps!
    CG since September 2010
    thick, medium-coarse, low-normal porosity (?), 2c/3a hair!
    growing out my hair to BSL!

experimenting with...
    low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture
    rinse-out/ leave-in: GFTN, CJAO, CJRM, TJ nourish, GVP Conditioning Balm
    styling: HESMU, CJCIAB, eco styler krystal, BRHG

"I'm as free as my hair." Mother Monster

Hi - I'm happy to hear about the budget-friendly alternatives! I’d like to hear about your experience with the Alba Botanicals Styling Cream (I love that brand). Also, I've looked for the Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner in my area but have only been able to find the Suave Naturals Coconut Shampoo. Has anyone tried any of the other Suave Naturals Conditioners? Thanks!
  • bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    I sometimes use the Suave Coconut (as a rinse out and leave-in), but at a glance, it looks like they all have similar ingredients until you get pretty far down on the list. These are the ingredients for the coconut:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 3, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acid, Honey/Mel, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Extract

I don't think all of the Suaves have protein, so if your hair doesn't like it you might want to try a different one, anyway. If you are interested in the coconut, you can order it online (Walgreens has the 22 oz for $1.79 or 2/$3). If you don't like it, you can still use it as a base for DTs or Pre-poos so you haven't wasted your money.

I also use Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture. It's thicker than the Suave, has good slip, and seems to do a pretty good job. I'm not in love with it, but I'll use up the bottle.

Personally, the Devacurl products didn't work well for me. I wanted to love them, and tried the entire line. I even repurchased One Condition, No Poo and Lo Poo more than once before I finally admitted that I hated some, and was unimpressed with others. Unfortunately, nothing works for everyone.

I like Bioterra Leave-in. You can get it at Sally for about $6, and you don't need a lot so it's a pretty good deal. And I adore Eco Styler! It gives me good hold without crunch, and pretty decent frizz control. I know some people like to use another gel over it. I am lazy (and usually short on time), however, and my goal each day is to use as few products as possible. I get the best results with ES when I put in my leave-in, scrunch out the excess water with a flour sack towel, then glop on the ES - and I do mean glop. I know I've applied enough when my hair feels slimy and disgusting and makes a squishing noise when I scrunch it. :D It feels like it will be crunchy when it dries (which I hate!), but once I diffuse it or let it air dry, it's all soft and bouncy! I finish by scrunching in about a pea size glob of coconut oil, and smoothing a tiny bit more over the canopy if I'm having any frizz or it's especially humid (Chicago is built on swamp land, and in the summer it's like living in the rainforest, minus the attractive foliage and interesting animals). Best of all, you can get a tub of Eco Styler you could take a bath in for $4 ($3 when it's on sale at Sally's).

There's a recipe for Eco Custard (using Eco Styler), which many ladies find to be an acceptable (or superior) substitute for KCCC. I haven't tried KCCC (I'm on a budget!) so I can't compare it. The standard recipe is:

1 cup eco styler gel
    1 tablespoon EVOO
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 tablespoon aloe vera gel

I use FOTE AVG, but you can use whatever brand you like/have available. I'm still experimenting with the recipe, since my hair hates EVOO (go figure).

I sometimes doctor up budget-friendly store-bought products (maybe adding a little something to my conditioner or styling products to suit them to my hair's needs). You can also make a lot of pre-poos, DTs and protein treatments yourself, either using a store-bought daily conditioner as a base, or from scratch, using stuff from your kitchen. There are some great recipes here, both in the Recipes forum, and scattered throughout the other boards.

I really prefer naturally-based products, but sometimes the price is prohibitive, especially for something I may end up disliking. Some lines do sell sample sizes, and CurlMart offers some starter kits and product samplers as well. If there's something you'd like to try without committing to a full size product, it's worth checking out the company's website. Oyin and Jessicurl, for instance, both offer individual trial sizes of many of their products. I'm sure other companies do as well.

Sorry for the long post - I hope at least some of it is helpful!
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
    Thank you for all the wonderful info. I'm going to check out the Bioterra Leave In and the Eco Styler Gel. I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner and love it as a co-wash and leave in. I'm also liking the Ouidad Climate control gel, but it's pretty pricey at $22 a bottle. Maybe the Eco Styler will be a more economical alternative. I'll post my comments as soon as I try it!
  • bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    Thank you for all the wonderful info. I'm going to check out the Bioterra Leave In and the Eco Styler Gel. I've been using Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner and love it as a co-wash and leave in. I'm also liking the Ouidad Climate control gel, but it's pretty pricey at $22 a bottle. Maybe the Eco Styler will be a more economical alternative. I'll post my comments as soon as I try it!

I hope it works for you! I'll be watching the thread to see how it turns out. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention Biotera gel (also at Sally for about $6). I find it has a stronger hold than ES, I use much less, and I get less clumping (which I don't mind). It seems to give me somewhat tighter curl formation, no frizz, and a lot of shine, but it's more prone to crunch. Still experimenting with product combos!
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • mhen76mhen76 Curl Neophyte Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm still pretty new to this myself and I'm slowly but surely learning for my hair and what doesn't. Major frizz was a huge problem for me and I was willing to try anything to tame it! I searched the boards for hints and tips and experimented with many products and methods. What finally worked for me was KY jelly. Yes, really, the personal lubricant.I slathered it on before gel and no more frizz! I read on the boards that it's the glycerin in KY that helps with frizz. I'm now making my own FSG and use glycerin as an additive. Still works for me.

Some people love glycerin and some hate it. I've loved some products that people have recommended and hated others. Nothing is going to work for everyone. Keep reading, experimenting and playing. You'll find the right combo of products!
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file