Stress Related Hair Loss

*SweetThang**SweetThang* Posts: 13Registered Users
I have been natural ever since August of 2009. Since that time my hair has grown tremendously. My hair went from being shorter than shoulder length to arm pit length when stretched.

However, I was recently placed in a very stressful work environment. My current workplace is very understaffed, yet the boss still expects us to perform at the same level of a fully staffed office. Which has put a lot of stress on me.

I feel that my stressful situation may cause me to have stress related hair loss. I hate the thought of losing the length I have gained over these past months and then some.

Have any of you ever experienced hair loss related to stress? If so, what did you do to help your hair grow back? Also, what can I do to help prevent this type of hair loss?
"I Love My Hair"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enpFde5rgmw

"Sesame Street v. Willow Smith Remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AVd8El-QY

Last Relaxer: August 2009
Hair: 4a/3c
Pre Poo: Coconut Oil
Shampoo: Aubrey Organics Island Naturals or Honey Suckle Rose
Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Detangler: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Leave In: Jane Carter Revitalizing Leave In Conditioner
Styling Aid: Darcy Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla Styling Cream
Sealer: Jojoba Oil

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair loss is really common with physical stress (surgery, illness, pregnancy). If you're really stressed by your work and it's causing you lots of physical symptoms, then your hair goes into "stop growing" phase and starts shedding. Under severe stress, your body diverts its energy to things other than hair growth.

This sounds kind of lame, but a few practical things you can do are to make sure that the stress you feel does not stop you from eating properly and drinking enough water (stress usually changes our eating patterns). Sleep is extremely important - poor sleep or not enough sleep constitutes substantial physical stress.
    Make a priority to put stress-relieving activities in your day or week. Exercise, even just a good walk, physiologically reverses the effects of stress. Talk to people, vent your feelings on paper or to a friend.

Even just making sure that every 15 minutes or so you take about 8 deep breaths at work can make a big difference in how you feel and how your body responds to the pressure of work. And when you go home, leave work at work as best you can.

Make sure that you get credit for your work too. Being understaffed and expected to be as productive as 2 or more people is pretty unreasonable (and common). Being unrecognized for meeting the challenge means that the moment there are other jobs available, your boss will lose all the good employees.
  • *SweetThang**SweetThang* Posts: 13Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I suffer from a lack of sleep because I am so physically and emotionally drained from work that I often fall asleep when I get home from work and not wake up until the next day.

I will work on getting more exercise. I talked about this with my sister and she suggested that I walk and get more exercise as well.
    "I Love My Hair"

• anonymous_70323anonymous_70323 Posts: 94Registered Users
    delete account
  • IAgirlIAgirl Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I took a Saturday and told myself that I have no problems. I didn't think about my boyfriend, my job, my family, money or finances, I went and bought some healthy groceries, watched all my favorite movies, had an at home spa day for me, and if I wanted sleep no one was interrupting me.

This is seriously brilliant:!:
  • anonymous_70323anonymous_70323 Posts: 94Registered Users
    delete account
  • UindaUinda Posts: 9Registered Users
    I used to loose a lot of hair due to stress when my mum got cancer. My job at the time was not what I had wished it to be, I had trouble sleeping and in the end, my skin became a nightmare and my hair fell out ... at that time I put a stop to things, quit my job, began a psycho therapy and tried to not make my mums illness too much of my own problem.
    Now, one year later, my mum is sick again, but she's doing fine considering the circumstances. I have a new job - well two actually - that I really enjoy, I stopped caring about certain things too much and don't worry as much as I did before. And my hair loves me for that :) Also my skin got back to normal. I'm happy with my life, although it's a bit of a mess, but approaching stress with positive thoughts is what keeps me from despairing.
    I wish you all the best, relax and take some time for yourself. It really helps!
  • *SweetThang**SweetThang* Posts: 13Registered Users
    IAgirl wrote: »
    I took a Saturday and told myself that I have no problems. I didn't think about my boyfriend, my job, my family, money or finances, I went and bought some healthy groceries, watched all my favorite movies, had an at home spa day for me, and if I wanted sleep no one was interrupting me.

This is seriously brilliant:!:

Yes, you have to do these things for yourself sometimes.
    "I Love My Hair"

• gmartegmarte Posts: 2Registered Users
    i'm also experiencing the same thing :( i excersise constantly and am taking extra supplements (hair, skin, nails vitamins) and my hair just keeps thinning more and more along the front of my hairline. it's almost like i'm going bald but there is hair there... i am under some severe stress however and i think that could be the only thing that is causing this. i've been to my reg doctor and my dermatologist and they both said i'm healthy. i also need for this to stop as it's starting to become embarrassing :( which in turn, causes even more stress!
    any suggestions would be so appreciated.
    thank you!!
  • gmartegmarte Posts: 2Registered Users
    i'm also experiencing the same thing :( i excersise constantly and am taking extra supplements (hair, skin, nails vitamins) and my hair just keeps thinning more and more along the front of my hairline. it's almost like i'm going bald but there is hair there... i am under some severe stress however and i think that could be the only thing that is causing this. i've been to my reg doctor and my dermatologist and they both said i'm healthy. i also need for this to stop as it's starting to become embarrassing :( which in turn, causes even more stress!
    any suggestions would be so appreciated.
    thank you!!
  • pharaohpharaoh Curl Neophyte Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair loss is so frustrating. Finding the reason for the loss with CAUSE the loss!!! :-?

You have to look at your ENTIRE lifestyle. you use supplements, are you taking soy products (soy is a phytoestrogen and WILL alter your hormones), drinking lots of protein shakes (it WILL alter your testosterone!), any other body building supplements, using retin a? tazorac or taking vitamin a or fish oil? changed birth control pills, have an iud (either kind), use pantene hair products, use a sulphate shampoo? have low iron (serium ferritin is what you want checked), thyroid problems (just because its "in range" doesn't mean it's right for you), surgery about three months ago....any of those things?

think think think! there IS a reason. i had hair loss from accutane YEARS ago and doctors said "no way". the internet was new and i couldn't find anything. now just google accutane and hair loss. AND FINALLY they are stating that topical vitamin a (differen, tazorac, retina) ALL can cause hair loss...too much vitamin a in the system. for YEARS everyone said no......

keep me posted!
  • leepalmerleepalmer Curl Novice Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Novice
    Vitamins and some bio supplements worked great for me, I also ordered some meds at Canadian Pharmacy Online and the result was really nice. I won't recommend any remedy because I think it is rather serious and requires professional consultation before taking. Coconut oil didn't work for me at all, meanwhile burdock oil is really fantastic, improved the growth and quality of the hair rather significantly.
  • itsmairaitsmaira Curl Neophyte Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I am facing the same issue. Due to some personal problem i took a lot of stress. Every time i was lost in my thoughts and this continuous stress gave me severe hair loss problem. I face hair loss due to stress and due to lack of good diet. Then after a month i handle my self and take start some supplements. Now my hair recover back to some extent not as earlier. 
  • NIKKI6669NIKKI6669 Curl Neophyte Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I USED TO HAVE A VERY DENSE HEAD OF HAIR, NO MATTER HOW MUCH HAIR I LOST & I HAVE LOST A LOT CUZ I'VE HAD THYROID DISEASE SINCE 1985... BUT THEN THE CHEMO, THEN MY DAUGHTERS STROKE, THEN MY HUBBIES KINDEY CANCER😵... WELL I HAVE HALF THE HEAD OF HAIR I USED TO BUT IT'S STILL THICK & HEAVY HAIR SO IT'S PRETTY FLAT MOST OF THE TIME☹️...  & AFTER ALL THIS MY HAIR STAYED HEALTHY CUZ I ADJUSTED MY PRODUCTS AS NEEDED SO IT'S ALL GOOD😋

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file