Ray-Ban Wayfarer style sunglasses -- is this style too "young" for 45 yo?

SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am asking because I wore Wayfarers in college. I found my original black pair that I wore back then, showed them to 16yo DS and he loved them. They were "vintage", since the style has changed slightly since the good old days. I am using past tense because he lost them. Oh well, I wasn't wearing that pair anymore anyway. :(

So I just got a good deal on another pair of black ones. And now I am wondering if they will look silly on a greying 45 year old with "fine lines".

Thoughts? Do you own a pair and still love them? Or notsomuch?
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Spiralli wrote: »
    I am asking because I wore Wayfarers in college. I found my original black pair that I wore back then, showed them to 16yo DS and he loved them. They were "vintage", since the style has changed slightly since the good old days. I am using past tense because he lost them. Oh well, I wasn't wearing that pair anymore anyway. :(

So I just got a good deal on another pair of black ones. And now I am wondering if they will look silly on a greying 45 year old with "fine lines".

Thoughts? Do you own a pair and still love them? Or notsomuch?

So sad your kid lost them. If you still like that style, go ahead and wear some. Don't let him borrow your new ones.
    Gray haired people wore them "in the day", why would things be different now?
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG, now we have to worry about our sunglasses? They're just sunglasses, nothing really unusual or "young looking" about them. Why could you not wear them?

I just went to the RayBan site to be sure I wasn't mistaken about what they look like, and I just don't see how they could be deemed young, old, or any particular style, etc. :dontknow: They're pretty basic except for the brand name. I'm too cheap to pay RayBan prices. Foster Grants are pricey to me since I usually manage to lose them or break them in short order.

I'm probably older than you, but I have lots more trendy-looking glasses - sun and otherwise - than those. I like them. If others don't, too bad, so sad :glasses7: Don't worry about being too old!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • lisa45lisa45 Posts: 31Registered Users
    hello, ive got a pair of ray-bans that i wear every time i leave the house. ive had them for about 15 to 20 years. i believe their old school. tortoise shell color to match my brown hair. back then they cost me a good 80.00. they are in great condition. As long as i have them i will be wearing them every chance i get! i say wear em and wear em proud!
    lisa45
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My good deal on these was short-lived. I forgot that now there is a "new" wayfarer style and an "original" wayfarer style. The new style does not fit my face well; IME they have a larger lense area and they slid down my nose when I looked down. Returned. I will try to hunt down the "original" style to see if those will fit me any better at this point. I am bummed.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    I hope you get a hot pair of shades that fit your face! And I hope they draw attention to your beautiful colored locks.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No one is ever too old for a cool pair of sunglasses. I just bought an Rx pair of Raybans, very sleek, wraparound style, and they are smokin'.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    No one is ever too old for a cool pair of sunglasses.

ditto
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    No one is ever too old for a cool pair of sunglasses. I just bought an Rx pair of Raybans, very sleek, wraparound style, and they are smokin'.
    I totally agree! I need to get some prescription sunglasses, so I'm hoping I can find some Ray-Bans (that my insurance will pay for!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    auntnett wrote: »
    OMG, now we have to worry about our sunglasses? They're just sunglasses, nothing really unusual or "young looking" about them. Why could you not wear them?

I just went to the RayBan site to be sure I wasn't mistaken about what they look like, and I just don't see how they could be deemed young, old, or any particular style, etc. :dontknow: They're pretty basic except for the brand name. I'm too cheap to pay RayBan prices. Foster Grants are pricey to me since I usually manage to lose them or break them in short order.

I'm probably older than you, but I have lots more trendy-looking glasses - sun and otherwise - than those. I like them. If others don't, too bad, so sad :glasses7: Don't worry about being too old!
    lisa45 wrote: »
    hello, ive got a pair of ray-bans that i wear every time i leave the house. ive had them for about 15 to 20 years. i believe their old school. tortoise shell color to match my brown hair. back then they cost me a good 80.00. they are in great condition. As long as i have them i will be wearing them every chance i get! i say wear em and wear em proud!
    lisa45
    gecko wrote: »
    I hope you get a hot pair of shades that fit your face! And I hope they draw attention to your beautiful colored locks.

+1 to all the above. Buy whatever looks best on you and enjoy!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file