Nail polish - bubbles

prettypollyprettypolly Curl NeophytePosts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Don't really know if this is the right place to post this :? Anyway, when I apply nail polish, I always end up with these little bubbles on my nails. They don't seem to be there when I'm actually applying, but they are when it's all dry. Why do they appear, and is there a way to stop them?!
2c/3a thick hair, attempting CG again!

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    First, shake your nail polish really well before you start painting!

Always apply a basecoat. Wait 'til it's dry before you apply your first coat of color. Wait about 30 minutes, then apply the 2nd coat of color. Wait another 20-30 minutes, then apply the topcoat.

It usually takes me about an hour to actually get all four coats on (basecoat, 2 coats of color, topcoat) then I let them dry for about 2 hours before I do anything. My husband knows if it's nail polishing night he has to answer the phone and tell whomever wants to talk to me that my nails are wet. :D

I do think, seriously, that the bubbles appear when you rush the polishing process.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • prettypollyprettypolly Curl Neophyte Posts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for replying :D I've been reading actually and I read that shaking causes bubbles?! That's odd because it even says to shake it on the actual bottle!! I think though that I have been rushing it, hurrying to get the next coat on. Next time I'll try going slooooowly! Not sure about the shaking though, since I'm suspicious of it now.

Thanks for your help!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Roll the bottle between your palms. Shaking does cause bubbles. Wait a LONG time between coats. Make sure coats are not thick and gloopy. And don't sit under a fan while they dry. Took me years to figure that one out.
  • prettypollyprettypolly Curl Neophyte Posts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Eek, why not use a fan? I do that!
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Roll it in your palms, don't shake it. I have also found some polishes have a better consistency when applying than others. Anything with a frost to it usually doesn't go as smooth as a matte finish. I also bought one of those UV lights (a smaller version of the ones the nail salons use). Does wonders for drying time and I can even use it on my toes which cuts that time in half. I don't use a basecoat but I do love Out the Door Topcoat. You can get it at Sally's. It dries your nails quickly and has a nice shine plus adding in the UV light really speeds up the process (although you can use a fan too).
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • CGNYCCGNYC Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Eek, why not use a fan?

Because it makes bubbles. Something to do with the top of the polish drying to fast or something, all I know is it makes bubbles so stop using a fan ;)
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Roll it in your palms, don't shake it. I have also found some polishes have a better consistency when applying than others.

This is true, and this is why I stick with OPI. I find it has the perfect consistency for polishing.

I've read that you should roll the bottle between your palms, too, but I always forget and just shake the thing. :D I never get bubbles, despite that.

I need to do my nails tonight - they polish is chipping like mad, but then I've gotten a week out of this polish, which is all I can hope for.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • BlkFaerieBlkFaerie Posts: 3Registered Users
    This has only happened a few times but I have found that bubbles usually appear when a particular polish is "old." This happened occasionally when I purchased polish that's been sitting on a shelf at a store for a while. I know, who thought a polish would have a shelf life?

Here's a link click.

ITA about different polishes having a different consistency. I never found a bottle of Revlon's old Taffy [a pretty kinda beigey] that didn't bubble. Grrrr!!
    3b/3c
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:
    Roll it in your palms, don't shake it. I have also found some polishes have a better consistency when applying than others.

This is true, and this is why I stick with OPI. I find it has the perfect consistency for polishing.

I've read that you should roll the bottle between your palms, too, but I always forget and just shake the thing. :D I never get bubbles, despite that.

I need to do my nails tonight - they polish is chipping like mad, but then I've gotten a week out of this polish, which is all I can hope for.

I have a feeling it doesn't give you bubbles because it's GOOD polish!

Most polishes, shaking will give you bubbles, though. If your polish starts to separate, shake really well at least 24-48 hours prior to polishing, but only roll between your hands when actually applying it. (Unless you have the good stuff like PartyHair!)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file