Eye make-up remover recs and quick question

DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
I just bought St. Ives oil-free facial moisturizer. I've noticed my forehead and chin have been looking a little flaky when I put my make-up on. Should I apply it both before I put on my make-up and after and after I take it off? Also I need a rec on a gentle, water based eye make-up remover. I wear waterproof mascara and have contacts. Any tips or helpful hints would be great! Thanks a bunch!
2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:

Comments

• kinkihairkinkihair Posts: 54Registered Users
    I actually don't do really fancy things for my skin care regime. I wash with either neutrogena face wash or tea tree face wash by The Body Shop. For stubborn makeup I use vaseline. Slather it on, wipe it off and wash as usaul. For moisterizer I use Palmer's coco butter.
    I find as long as my skin is kept clean and moisterized I don't have problems with flakiness.
    Doodles wrote:
    I just bought St. Ives oil-free facial moisturizer. I've noticed my forehead and chin have been looking a little flaky when I put my make-up on. Should I apply it both before I put on my make-up and after and after I take it off? Also I need a rec on a gentle, water based eye make-up remover. I wear waterproof mascara. Any tips or helpful hints would be great! Thanks a bunch!
    nappy haired girls unite!

afro-american 4a/3b
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Curl Novice Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I like the Lancome Dual Action makeup remover. It's gentle and works fast.

Do you exfoliate regularly to keep flakes away? Or maybe your moisturizer isn't moisturizing enough. If your skin is so dry that it's flaky, you might need one made for dry or combination skin. Or it could be that you have anther skin condition going on. Flaky skin is usually stressed, not just a little dry. I don't think putting the same moisturizer on at night would help.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote:
    I like the Lancome Dual Action makeup remover. It's gentle and works fast.

Do you exfoliate regularly to keep flakes away? Or maybe your moisturizer isn't moisturizing enough. If your skin is so dry that it's flaky, you might need one made for dry or combination skin. Or it could be that you have anther skin condition going on. Flaky skin is usually stressed, not just a little dry. I don't think putting the same moisturizer on at night would help.

I haven't exfoliated in awhile. :oops: Do you have to rec.? The weather has been changing to fall where I live so it's been cooling down. The dry/flaky/white patches don't become visible until I put my make-up on though. This is the first moisturizer that I've used. I guess it's just getting to be that time of year where I need one and I'm starting to become aware of good skin care.

ETA: The moisturizer definitely seems to be helping

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Curl Novice Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    To be honest with you, I don't use an exfoliating product. My dermatologist says that the most gentle way is with a wash cloth so that's what I do--scrub with my regular cleanser and a wash cloth two or three times a week.

If the flakes continue, try a heavier moisterizer and see if that helps. I usually use a heavier one in the winter because my skin gets so dry. Or look at the ingredients on the moisturizer--it could have drying agents that are making your skin dry.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • rouquinnerouquinne Curl Connoisseur Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    my September column is all about this very topic!

click on CURLucopia above and go to Rouquinne's Makeup Missive!

:D
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • chrisnj0614chrisnj0614 Posts: 30Registered Users
    For eye makeup removal, I LOVE Clinique Take the Day Off. I wear contacts and waterproof mascara. It is very gentle and you don't have to wash it off. It is water based, so it comes right off. I can't imagine living without it.
    For scrubs...i use Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream (rinse off formula). It is very gentle. I use it once or twice a week (depending on how my face feels). It is the only scrub cream i would ever use. All other scrubs are too harsh for my VERY sensitive skin.
    Type 2C/3A, Medium texture and I have a ton of it, long hair, brunette, flat crown.
    Modified CG'er since August 2004
  • GinGin2GinGin2 Posts: 26Registered Users
    I've tried many eye makeup removers (Clarins, Origins, Kiehls), and I think a great, low-cost version is the Almay non-oily. It works without irritating.
    3AB/2A/fine/medium. Recently had hair cut to more layered, tapered, and so far so good. Light brown hair, reddish highlights.
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Posts: 850Registered Users
    I LOVE the Nivea oil-free cream remover. It's really gentle and works well. Plus, it's cheap compared to dept. store brands, and you can get it at the drugstore.
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • CGNYCCGNYC Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Doodles wrote:
    I just bought St. Ives oil-free facial moisturizer. I've noticed my forehead and chin have been looking a little flaky when I put my make-up on. Should I apply it both before I put on my make-up and after and after I take it off? Also I need a rec on a gentle, water based eye make-up remover. I wear waterproof mascara and have contacts. Any tips or helpful hints would be great! Thanks a bunch!

If your skin is flaky, do exfoliate gently with a washcloth to get the flakes off (you can try something more aggressive if this doesn't work or if you have gunky pores or whatever), then use a moisturizer, THEN put your foundation on. Foundation over dry skin just makes a big flaky mess.

Also, I like Clinique's Take The Day Off eyemakeup remover. It doesn't burn or dry out my eyelids or irritate any of my various allergies/sensitivties. And it gets off waterproof.
  • DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    If your skin is flaky, do exfoliate gently with a washcloth to get the flakes off (you can try something more aggressive if this doesn't work or if you have gunky pores or whatever), then use a moisturizer, THEN put your foundation on. Foundation over dry skin just makes a big flaky mess.

Thanks for that tip! Its helping! :wink:

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    mrspoppers-
    thank you so much for the rec to scrub your face with a washcloth to exfoliate. i've had such dry flaky skin lately and nothing helped, then i tried this using dove beauty bar, followed up with oil of olay moisturizer, and am almost flake-free! thanks again :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file