Is this a bad idea?

So I wanted to add some funky colored streaks to my hair but really don't want to go to a salon. DO you think its a bad idea to buy Naturtint in red and actually paint the streaks on myself?
Starting my curly resolution! 3a/3b with some waves thrown in. Haven't been CG in a while. Need product suggestions.

Comments

• ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    It depends. is your hair naturally light or dark? because if it's dark then you'd have to use bleach before you paint the red on, and you really should go to a salon for that! Also is the tint you want permenant or semi?
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• lcaste1lcaste1 Posts: 105Registered Users
    my hair is lighter.
    Starting my curly resolution! 3a/3b with some waves thrown in. Haven't been CG in a while. Need product suggestions.
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I vote for going to a professional. As someone who is recovering from color damage, I advise that you don't risk something you might seriously regret. My two centavos.
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

• romigjamromigjam Posts: 219Registered Users
    I have had my hair every color of the rainbow, and I've only gone to a professional once or twice, BUT I've had years of practice. I started coloring my own hair when I was 11 and I'm 20 now, so I can tell you I've had MANY mishaps along the way. If you are not experienced with color, go to a stylist the first few times, and ask as many questions as possible to get the hang of what they're using and the techniques. The stylist will be able to see if you need bleach, what base color you should use etc. Then, if you feel confident, you can do it on your own.
    2bc3a
    CG since December '09
    loo-poo: Kiss My Face Everywhere Shampoo
    cowash: Suave Naturals, CJ DF
    rinse out: TN
    leave-in: CJHBLI, CJSL, SMRC
    stylers: (rotating) CJAF, CCCC, SMCS, Ecostyler, KMFUM
    DT: CJCR
    PT:CJRM

love oils, avocado and castor oil are my favorite

Iherb discount code TSW857
  • lcaste1lcaste1 Posts: 105Registered Users
    Thanks for the tips. My bday is coming up and I am trying to go to Devachan or Mario Diab to see Carlos (I used to go to him when he was at Devachan) so maybe I'll see if they can put in some fun color. I know it will be pricey but it has a better chance of coming out well with him doing it.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If your hair is lighter and you want to go red streaks it should be relatively easy. Google peekaboo highlights and research it. Probably the way you want to go...
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file