Interesting conversation with type 2's and type 3's

bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
So I know a girl who is half dominican half puerto rican with beautiful type 3 curls (pale skinned, green eyes, golden hair) and I also know a girl who is half irish and half jamaican with type 2 curls (pale skinned, dark hair, dark eyes). Recently I had a conversation with both of them that was quite interesting.

So girl #1 expressed that her fellow hispanic peers try to call her hair 'nappy' because it's curly. I thought to myself....if they think hers is nappy then what the hell is mine ha! She also stated that her own people claim she doesn't look like 'one of them' b/c of this. Then she went on to say that half of them have relaxers or blow outs, but she doesn't need that because she has 'good' hair.

Girl #2 also had a strange experience. She says at her last job they would be shocked when they found out she is half black saying things like "so why does your hair look like that? I thought black people had puffball hair." They also forced her to straighten b/c they claimed her type 2 hair wasn't acceptable. One day she went home on the train crying. Interesting.

My ignorant self was here thinking women with looser curls have it easier when in fact they have their own set of prejudices they have to deal with. In addition people are very ignorant towards curly hair PERIOD no matter what grade. Yes, particulary towards the kinkier end like us but all in all society just doesn't seem to like textured hair. Carry on.
Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Curl Novice Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    you would be surprised . Everyone on my mothers side are 2 and 3's.

my mother is a 2, my grandmother is a 2 , my aunts are 2, my cousins are loose 3's.. I am a 4 LOL.

the funny thing is when i used to use heat it only takes one pass to get my hair paper thin straight so my mothers family insisted my mom keep my hair straight, plus she didnt know how to do my hair. Growing up anything over a 2 was considered bad but if it was curly it was ok. T

I dont go to DR to visit much, the last time I went it was when my grandfather passed and the first conversation was about my hair, i made it 3 days before i left early

my father is jamaican, my mother dominican

it depends on if the curl is really curly or kinky curly.to some
  • curlykinkynfrizzy?curlykinkynfrizzy? Curl Neophyte Posts: 321Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's really unfortunate for both of your friends. The one that has "good hair"... I feel sorry for her. And for your friend that was told her hair was "not acceptable" ...how rude!! :pain10:

I too had been ignorant in my assumption that the looser curlies had it "easier". I remember once telling a coworker about how much I loved her hair (she's a 2 or 3....IDK lol) and how she must be "so lucky to just get up and go" b./c of her hair. She quickly corrected me and said that it's not easy at all and that it's quite time consuming to style her hair.

I have a friend that is half Mexican and half Filipino. I think she has type 3ish hair. I thought her hair was so pretty...imagine my shock when she revealed that she perms her hair b/c her natural curls are (her words) "ugly".

I think it is true that the curlier (tighter, kinkier esp) the hair the less love you get. But it seems that for some reason curly=frizzy=nappy=bad. I'm sure you all have seen that GF ad about the blow dry perfector or whatever it's called. The girl in the had a beautiful head full of curls which were transformed into "perfect" straight hair. WTF? As if her curly hair was sooooooo horrible. :pukeleft:
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Posts: 423Registered Users
    It's a shame really. But I am glad this showed me that everyone with curls has their own insecurities.

@shawny oh hell no, there are more important things to discuss like well....your family's death! I mean wtf?
    Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
    Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
    Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    Where you live and your ethnic/cultural background is a huge influence, for sure. My country of origin is known for its straight, fine, usually blonde hair, and my mom always felt like an outsider (and had her hair mistreated by stylists) with her thick, dark 3b curls. She had the same ethnic background as the majority group, so it wasn't about race, just having an "undesirable" hair texture.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    undesirable hair texture seems to seem from race .........some dont you think?

Belle, it took me a long time to realize you cant choose your family lol , only your friends and SO's. Thank god I dont have to see those people on a regular.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A lot of the time...curls are curls. One time my mom called my hair nappy and I got PISSED, so I went and told my dad, and he was like, "Well honey, you have to understand, if it's not straight, it's nappy." And I asked him if he even meant loose curls and waves, and he was said yes. I will note though - he wasn't saying nappy in a derogatory manner though - he was just saying that my mom wasn't insulting my hair.

ETA: I mean, look at the thread on the Millionaire Matchmaker - she's described curls and tangled birds' nests, and tells her ladies to straighten their hair if they want to get a man. Seems like often the only curls people like are the ones you make with a curling iron. Meh.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LiyahLiyah Posts: 118Registered Users
    So I know a girl who is half dominican half puerto rican with beautiful type 3 curls (pale skinned, green eyes, golden hair) and I also know a girl who is half irish and half jamaican with type 2 curls (pale skinned, dark hair, dark eyes). Recently I had a conversation with both of them that was quite interesting.

So girl #1 expressed that her fellow hispanic peers try to call her hair 'nappy' because it's curly. I thought to myself....if they think hers is nappy then what the hell is mine ha! She also stated that her own people claim she doesn't look like 'one of them' b/c of this. Then she went on to say that half of them have relaxers or blow outs, but she doesn't need that because she has 'good' hair.

Girl #2 also had a strange experience. She says at her last job they would be shocked when they found out she is half black saying things like "so why does your hair look like that? I thought black people had puffball hair." They also forced her to straighten b/c they claimed her type 2 hair wasn't acceptable. One day she went home on the train crying. Interesting.

My ignorant self was here thinking women with looser curls have it easier when in fact they have their own set of prejudices they have to deal with. In addition people are very ignorant towards curly hair PERIOD no matter what grade. Yes, particulary towards the kinkier end like us but all in all society just doesn't seem to like textured hair. Carry on.

I think this applies to a lot of things in life. We (black people) often think we are the only ones with "such and such" problem but, each race, ethnicity has it's own set of issues they have to face.

You would be surprised at how some cultures ostracize some people....
  • OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    all women have time consuming hair.lol even my mom whose hair is straight.
    those two girls experiences aren't surprising, just sad.
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I too used to think the people with "pure" 3 type hair and below (without a 4 in sight; unlike my 4a/3c hair) had it soooo easy. I can easily comb my 3c hair, but the 4a is a huge PITA. I used to be envious of the 3s - not because I think their hair is prettier because frankly, I love 4b hair, but because I thought they had it easier.

I learned so much after coming to NC and realizing that everyone struggles to some degree with their hair.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    undesirable hair texture seems to seem from race .........some dont you think

In the United States, absolutely, but where my family is from the predominant "minorities" are Eastern European and Middle Eastern (there are some black immigrants, but they are mostly Somalian Muslims and the women wear headscarves). So I don't think curly hair has the same racial associations there; it's more about deviance from the norm generally speaking.

I actually think hair color is more racialized there than texture, if the prevalence of bleached hair is any indication.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I always say the grass is always greener...
    no matter where you sit.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    no matter where you sit.

i agree.

i've had people with looser curl types who were of a different ethnicity than myself whine and complain about their hair, straighten and relax their curls, straight up call their's nappy/ugly/frizzy/ looks like a bird's nest, etc. but they always compliment me on my curls and sometimes they even say they wish they had curls like mine. i'm always like wtf?? bish if you hate your type 2 waves, there is no way in hell you really want some 3c black people curls.

sometimes i wonder if its more about your ethnicity/race than it actually is about the curl. like do they assume that all black people have 4z carpet like dry hard supa crunchy naps, so since my hair isn't like that then i'm lucky? and since they're white/latina/any form of biracial that they should have hair like movie stars and since they don't its an abomination? i don't know. people are crazy.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »
    no matter where you sit.

i agree.

i've had people with looser curl types who were of a different ethnicity than myself whine and complain about their hair, straighten and relax their curls, straight up call their's nappy/ugly/frizzy/ looks like a bird's nest, etc. but they always compliment me on my curls and sometimes they even say they wish they had curls like mine. i'm always like wtf?? bish if you hate your type 2 waves, there is no way in hell you really want some 3c black people curls.

sometimes i wonder if its more about your ethnicity/race than it actually is about the curl. like do they assume that all black people have 4z carpet like dry hard supa crunchy naps, so since my hair isn't like that then i'm lucky? and since they're white/latina/any form of biracial that they should have hair like movie stars and since they don't its an abomination? i don't know. people are crazy.

subbrock, I think this is a really good point. I agree - if you are black with 3c hair it is often seen as "good hair" because it isn't "totally nappy," but a latina/white woman may feel her 3c hair is a nappy/frizzy mess.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Exactly Elle, im so tired of my cousin calling her hair nappy. I mean literally, I stare at her like what crack are you smoking.

I used to think she did it on purpose but she really does believe her type 3 hair is nappy , One day I asked her , if your hair is nappy what is mine?? She was like Oh yours is nappy too but mine is just shiny and nappy . LOL I laughed for like 10 minutes
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    A lot of the time...curls are curls. One time my mom called my hair nappy and I got PISSED, so I went and told my dad, and he was like, "Well honey, you have to understand, if it's not straight, it's nappy." And I asked him if he even meant loose curls and waves, and he was said yes. I will note though - he wasn't saying nappy in a derogatory manner though - he was just saying that my mom wasn't insulting my hair.

ETA: I mean, look at the thread on the Millionaire Matchmaker - she's described curls and tangled birds' nests, and tells her ladies to straighten their hair if they want to get a man. Seems like often the only curls people like are the ones you make with a curling iron. Meh.

Elle! I love the BOLDED part! "I'm going to tell Daddy on you Mommy!" Too funny! I use to do this all of the time! I was such a daddy's girl :toothy1: and he so affirmed who, what and how I was/am. He passed away in '94 but his influence lives on even today. I can see that your dad's will live on as well!!
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • kinkycurlyDTkinkycurlyDT Posts: 380Registered Users
    I have come into contact with caucasians and people of other races with type 2 hair and type 3 hair, and they always say how they would love to have "black hair", because our hair is thick, it can be styled easily, and doesnt have to be washed often. They often compain about how limp there hair is, and how quickly it gets dirty. So its a 2 way street!
    On the other hand my Father is 1/2 mexican and part irish and He has beautiful 2c/3a hair, with waves. My youngest brother also has this same hair type. But I, on the other hand inherited my mothers hair which is prodominatly 4a/4b with some 3c mixed in..lol

Elle! I love the BOLDED part! "I'm going to tell Daddy on you Mommy!" Too funny! I use to do this all of the time! I was such a daddy's girl :toothy1: and he so affirmed who, what and how I was/am. He passed away in '94 but his influence lives on even today. I can see that your dad's will live on as well!!

Awww, yes! I am a total daddy's girl and won't even try to deny it.
    I have come into contact with caucasians and people of other races with type 2 hair and type 3 hair, and they always say how they would love to have "black hair", because our hair is thick, it can be styled easily, and doesnt have to be washed often. They often compain about how limp there hair is, and how quickly it gets dirty. So its a 2 way street!
    On the other hand my Father is 1/2 mexican and part irish and He has beautiful 2c/3a hair, with waves. My youngest brother also has this same hair type. But I, on the other hand inherited my mothers hair which is prodominatly 4a/4b with some 3c mixed in..lol

The bolded is what baffles me as to why "afro textured" hair is seen as the stigma...because I'm like uhhhh straight hair is limp, greasy, and dirty often. Like...when I can see your thin pieces of hair sticking together so I can see your scalp when you pull your hair back in a ponytail...ummm...WASH IT. I doubt someone would ever get approached at work regarding their appearance for that...
    YouTube
  • *Marah**Marah* Curl Neophyte Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's all across the board for people with curly hair that have issues no matter the race or ethnicity. While I do think the issues are DIFFERENT concerning race and ethnicity, I think all of them have stigmas and curly and kinky hair insecurities.

White women often tell me my hair is pretty regularly...blah blah. BUT I'm not stupid enough to believe they would like to have my hair. I think they find it acceptable FOR ME because I am a person of color and (with all due respect to all curlies and kinkies) my hair is not considered "kinky", it's considered curly. So I get a pass but they don't want it. LOL! It's like them enjoying tan skin or when they say they think a certain black woman has beautiful skin um they AIN'T saying they wanna be black and no one should be fooled into thinking so.

With black women though I find they like my hair wish they had it but believe it's just to much trouble because relaxed hair is much easier in their perspective. I think with them I get a pass as well because they claim I have "good hair". So I get it.

It's a mixture with Hispanics I notice depending on what type of hispanic they are (did I say that right ?) I mean no offense to anyone that is Dominican but I notice many Dominicans have some strong reactions to curly or kinky hair because of it's association with looking more of African descent. In my experience, a lot of Puerto Rican women love my hair and seem to like curly hair on themselves as well and don't seem to apply the stigma to it that Dominican women do. But again, even with Hispanic women in general they seem to like my hair ON ME but they don't neccessarily want it for themselves! :)
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    The bolded is what baffles me as to why "afro textured" hair is seen as the stigma...because I'm like uhhhh straight hair is limp, greasy, and dirty often. Like...when I can see your thin pieces of hair sticking together so I can see your scalp when you pull your hair back in a ponytail...ummm...WASH IT. I doubt someone would ever get approached at work regarding their appearance for that...

Frankly, I think white people are full of sht when they say they wish they had "black people hair" just like they are full of sht when they say they wish they had skin the color of some brown skinned person. I think most white folks would loose their damn mind if they woke up one day with brown skin and naturally kinky or very tightly curled hair. All they are really are expressing when they say things like that is that they wish IN THE MOMENT they wish they had it easier. They don't really want hair like black people or their skin. So I feel like.. "Can these white folk cut the crap". I don't get all thrilled cause some white woman tells me "Oh I wish I had your hair it's so nice". I think "Lady, yeah right you'd loose your damn mind if you had my hair and to most black people I got good hair!"

Afro-textured hair has a stigma with it because white people have always set the most influential standard of what's considered acceptable to consider physically beautiful. And reguardless of if straight hair is limp and whatever else it still not considered on the same low level as afro-textured hair which is seen as not as attractive and desired. And I do think it has something to do with the fact that afro-textured hair doesn't always "flow"..it sort of sits. If that makes sense.

Frankly, I think white people are full of sht when they say they wish they had "black people hair" just like they are full of sht when they say they wish they had skin the color of some brown skinned person. I think most white folks would loose their damn mind if they woke up one day with brown skin and naturally kinky or very tightly curled hair. All they are really are expressing when they say things like that is that they wish IN THE MOMENT they wish they had it easier. They don't really want hair like black people or their skin. So I feel like.. "Can these white folk cut the crap". I don't get all thrilled cause some white woman tells me "Oh I wish I had your hair it's so nice". I think "Lady, yeah right you'd loose your damn mind if you had my hair and to most black people I got good hair!"

Afro-textured hair has a stigma with it because white people have always set the most influential standard of what's considered acceptable to consider physically beautiful. And reguardless of if straight hair is limp and whatever else it still not considered on the same low level as afro-textured hair which is seen as not as attractive and desired. And I do think it has something to do with the fact that afro-textured hair doesn't always "flow"..it sort of sits. If that makes sense.

I agree with you 100%. That's why I sometimes give a side eye when a white woman is telling me how gorgeous my hair is...they might as well add in the "on you" part, because I know damn well they don't want my hair.

All I'm saying is that some people have some nerve to talk about "afro textured" hair (I keep putting it in quotes b/c I hate that term...I guess I could say tightly curled/coiled) when they are walking around looking like rats have sucked on their ends for a number of days and they have more flakes than DC last winter.
    YouTube
    I agree with you 100%. That's why I sometimes give a side eye when a white woman is telling me how gorgeous my hair is...they might as well add in the "on you" part, because I know damn well they don't want my hair.

I'm with you on this Elle. I know exactly what you mean. I mean I do think curly hair fits me and my personality. I'm told that all the time by various people reguardless of race. But let's be real ain't no white woman that is considered the MOST wanted woman suddenly wants to take my place as a person of color and have looks and characteristics usually associated with people of color. I get a slight pass cause I have curls..that's all. I'm not stupid. All that's left unsaid is the "on you" part just like the heck you said, Elle.
    All I'm saying is that some people have some nerve to talk about "afro textured" hair (I keep putting it in quotes b/c I hate that term...I guess I could say tightly curled/coiled) when they are walking around looking like rats have sucked on their ends for a number of days and they have more flakes than DC last winter.

Oh I see where you are coming from. LOL! The term "afro-textured" doesn't bother me. I know what you mean. :)

But yeah, cause sometimes when I hear white folks ragging on black folks hair.. I think.. "I know damn well you ain't talking walking around here with that stringy, slick as horsesht, wet dog looking hair!" I know that's jacked up but it's like come on.. some of yall got a hell of a nerve to rag on someone that is of color natural hair with your hair looking like greasy straw! It's like :disgust: (side eye). ROFL!

I'm with you on this Elle. I know exactly what you mean. I mean I do think curly hair fits me and my personality. I'm told that all the time by various people reguardless of race. But let's be real ain't no white woman that is considered the MOST wanted woman suddenly wants to take my place as a person of color and have looks and characteristics usually associated with people of color. I get a slight pass cause I have curls..that's all. I'm not stupid. All that's left unsaid is the "on you" part just like the heck you said, Elle.

Oh I see where you are coming from. LOL! The term "afro-textured" doesn't bother me. I know what you mean. :)

But yeah, cause sometimes when I hear white folks ragging on black folks hair.. I think.. "I know damn well you ain't talking walking around here with that stringy, slick as horsesht, wet dog looking hair!" I know that's jacked up but it's like come on.. some of yall got a hell of a nerve to rag on someone that is of color natural hair with your hair looking like greasy straw! It's like :disgust: (side eye). ROFL!

BAWHAHAH! Yea...those people I want to give a hearty African Export, "B**ch, f**k you!!!"

One more thing and I then I'll stop guanoing the thread (sorry, BB). The other day when my hair was blown out into my huuuge fro I was in the elevator with a white woman with straight hair - she asked me if that was my hair or a wig, and when I told her it was mine she was like, "Oh it's so beautiful, you don't see a lot of people wearing their hair like that anymore." I know she was being sweet, so it took EEEERRRYTHANG in my power not to give her a lecture on afros being socially unacceptable and black people having to conform in order to fit into white society, how afros are seen as militant, etc etc...I just smiled and said thank you.
    YouTube

ugh i totally agree with this. whenever a white curly tells me they wish they had my hair i really want to say, *side eye* "GTFOHWTBS..." *more side eye* :disgust:
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    everybody is taught that their hair or somethin else aint sh*t. If we all thought we were amazingly great the way we were, we wouldn't be consumers of sh*t to make us better.

It's just how it goes, regardless of hair texture or anything else.

*Goes off to buy more hair products for her kinky hair*
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

BAWHAHAH! Yea...those people I want to give a hearty African Export, "B**ch, f**k you!!!"

One more thing and I then I'll stop guanoing the thread (sorry, BB). The other day when my hair was blown out into my huuuge fro I was in the elevator with a white woman with straight hair - she asked me if that was my hair or a wig, and when I told her it was mine she was like, "Oh it's so beautiful, you don't see a lot of people wearing their hair like that anymore." I know she was being sweet, so it took EEEERRRYTHANG in my power not to give her a lecture on afros being socially unacceptable and black people having to conform in order to fit into white society, how afros are seen as militant, etc etc...I just smiled and said thank you.

ROFL! Child..when African Export said that.. I.was.rolling! (I know that's shameful).

You know I notice a lot of older white people (particularly the women) seem to appreciate when a younger black woman rocks her hair naturally. Not sure why that is..

What kills me though is when black people have that silky stuff and rock their hair curly and try to front like their hair is in an afro just cause they combed it out a bit. And I'm like.. "Please cut the "im down" bs.. your hair ain't no damn fro..it's curls and you know it is!"
    ugh i totally agree with this. whenever a white curly tells me they wish they had my hair i really want to say, *side eye* "GTFOHWTBS..." *more side eye* :disgust:

*Sucking my teeth* Subrock stop frontin' you know you got good hur! LOL!

Let me stop..I'm just playing! :D I know what you are saying..but you do have some nice damn hair..for real. When I used to stalk your fotki when I first came to NC.com..your hair made me think of Rachel True. You and she have EXACTLY the same hair (well the look of it) when her is actually in it's natural state..and that lady's hair is fierce! Member that pic I showed you of her holding the book ? You can't tell me she's not your hair twin.
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    I had to chime in on this one. I'm married to a Dominican whose female family members are all 2c-3b. When I first BC and we went to visit his parents in TX they about died. Prior to that they had only seen me with weaves/braids. During a conversation about when we were going to pop out some grandbabies for her his mother says "well I hope they take from our side and come out with nice hair"

Needless to say I wasn't shocked by this response as his mother uses a relaxer and so does his sister but the fact that she said it to my face lol I was like woah. A lot of Dominicans have an aversion to anything African. Which includes darker skin and kinky hair. I can't tell you the amount of crap we got from his family when he first started dating me because I was black lol. You would think that ppl have progressed in 2010 but sadly no. The unfortunate thing is that my sister in law carries the same baggage and she will probably pass it down to her kids *sigh*
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

*Sucking my teeth* Subrock stop frontin' you know you got good hur! LOL!

Let me stop..I'm just playing! :D I know what you are saying..but you do have some nice damn hair..for real. When I used to stalk your fotki when I first came to NC.com..your hair made me think of Rachel True. You and she have EXACTLY the same hair (well the look of it) when her is actually in it's natural state..and that lady's hair is fierce! Member that pic I showed you of her holding the book ? You can't tell me she's not your hair twin.

oh i know. i think if you could do a paternity test on hair, rachel true and gloria reuben would definitely need to call me to catch up on some child support. :D
    LolaKinkz wrote: »
    I had to chime in on this one. I'm married to a Dominican whose female family members are all 2c-3b. When I first BC and we went to visit his parents in TX they about died. Prior to that they had only seen me with weaves/braids. During a conversation about when we were going to pop out some grandbabies for her his mother says "well I hope they take from our side and come out with nice hair"

Needless to say I wasn't shocked by this response as his mother uses a relaxer and so does his sister but the fact that she said it to my face lol I was like woah. A lot of Dominicans have an aversion to anything African. Which includes darker skin and kinky hair. I can't tell you the amount of crap we got from his family when he first started dating me because I was black lol. You would think that ppl have progressed in 2010 but sadly no. The unfortunate thing is that my sister in law carries the same baggage and she will probably pass it down to her kids *sigh*

oh Lord!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users

ROFL! Child..when African Export said that.. I.was.rolling! (I know that's shameful).

You know I notice a lot of older white people (particularly the women) seem to appreciate when a younger black woman rocks her hair naturally. Not sure why that is..

What kills me though is when black people have that silky stuff and rock their hair curly and try to front like their hair is in an afro just cause they combed it out a bit. And I'm like.. "Please cut the "im down" bs.. your hair ain't no damn fro..it's curls and you know it is!"

Silky stuff?:eek::rolleyes: :afro:
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file