Poor college student looking for my holy grail products!

imagabsterimagabster Posts: 71Registered Users
Hello! I just recently signed up on naturally curly, though I've often browsed the forums and different articles on the website. I was hoping somebody would be able to offer me some advice based on what works for them!

My hair is between 2c and 3a and I have a lot of it! I'm currently trying to grow it out (which I have never done before) and I'm noticing that a lot of the products I've been using are building up more than usual and I'm worried certain products will be too harsh and cause damage. I'm hoping to go silicone and sulfate free, but I don't know of any inexpensive products that I would be able to find at the local Walmart or Target (I am a poor college student after all). Any suggestions? I also have to watch out for certain ingredients, such as oats, coconut, cocoa, and wheat, just to name a few, because I'm allergic to a bunch of foods and I often get eczema on my hands and arms.

If anybody would be able to recommend shampoos, conditioners, and styling creams (gels and mousses tend to make my hair crunchy) or any other wavy/curly advice I would very much appreciate it! I am a self proclaimed hair product junkie and I dream of the day when I will find my holy grail products!
CG since September 2010
thick, medium-coarse, low-normal porosity (?), 2c/3a hair!
growing out my hair to BSL!

experimenting with...
low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture
rinse-out/ leave-in: GFTN, CJAO, CJRM, TJ nourish, GVP Conditioning Balm
styling: HESMU, CJCIAB, eco styler krystal, BRHG

"I'm as free as my hair." Mother Monster

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome! We're so glad to have you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • EmerwenEmerwen Posts: 138Registered Users
    Yay! Another product junkie! :D

There is a list on here somewhere (that I found once and have since then misplaced since I forgot to bookmark it. If I find it, I will post a link) that has some of the less expensive ($25 and under, I think) hair products that are CG friendly.

I'm new here, so I can't say for sure what will help and what won't. I went to walmart today and replaced my hair stuff with a cheap shampoo, conditioner, and a deep conditioner that are all silicone free for under 5 bucks. (Though the shampoo has sulfate in it, but I could not find one that did not...).

Best of luck growing out your hair? How long is it now? How long are you hoping to get it? I'm also trying to grow out my hair (have been for a while). :)

Best of luck finding your product! :)
    Hair type: 3a, med-low porosity, decent elasticity, thin, med-fine. (I think)

Hair Routine:
    Low-poo: Burt's Bee's Pomegranate and Soy
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey
    Leave In: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Biotera Curl Cream, Sweet Almond Oil
    Techniques: Icequeen method

Hair likes: GVP CB, Biotera Curl Cream, Almond Oil (when wet).
    Hair dislikes: gel, plopping.

Hair Goal: Healthy, soft, defined, waist length curls!

Hair Routine:
    Co-wash: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Condish: V05 Kiwi Clarifying Conditioner, Giovanni TTTT, honey

• imagabsterimagabster Posts: 71Registered Users
    Thank you guys for the warm welcome and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post a reply! My hair is currently about 1-2 inches below my collar bone, and I'm trying to grow it out to armpit length!

which products did you buy from Wal Mart? I recently purchased VO5 moisurizing conditioner, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, and AO Island Escape conditioner (from Whole Foods).
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...
    low-poo/ co-wash: Everyday Shea Moisturizing Lavender Shampoo & tressemme naturals moisture

Walmart:
    • V05 moisturizing conditioner (one of the smoothie ones)
    • Aussie's Three Minute Miracle
    • And today, a Giovanni conditioner I plan to try using as a leave in. It's not specified as a leave in, but our walmart did not have any of the leave in stuff. :(
    Sally's:
    • Biotera Curl Cream (Biotera is the generic Biolage. I really like it, and it's the same stuff my mom used when she was in college for half the price!)
    Health Food Store:
    • Almond Oil.
    From a friend:
    • Jojaba oil.
    I am also using the jojaba and almond for skin stuff.

Hair Routine:

• ruchipuchiruchipuchi Posts: 149Registered Users
    Welcome!!! I'm also a cheap-o college student and I've only been using drugstore products.

Pedaheh gave me some links when I was starting out about cheap products so I'll just copy and paste them:

CG on a budget
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...57#post1408457
    Affordable HG's
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=106987
    Alexjoujou's suggestions for newbies
    http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/200...picks-for.html
    CG products are listed on the left side of this blog.
    http://curlgirljourney.blogspot.com/

Of course double check ingredients because they change sometimes.

The products I use are listed in my signature and they're all under $10 (most under $5).

My HGs (holy grails) are the two I got at Sally's: GVP Conditioning Balm and Bioterra Curl Creme. A lot of people use it with the Bioterra Gel with success, but I use Herbal Essences Set Me Up.

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner is really great - it's about $4 something for a huge bottle. It's really moisturizing and smells great, but some people say it can be too heavy/moisturizing (if I'm not wrong, Emerwen, I think I read that you don't like it much, right?)
    Fia: 2c/Coarse/ii, low-normal elasticity, low porosity.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    RO/LI: GFTN, GVPCB
    Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC
    DT/PT: GVPCB, AOHR, Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Yogurt PTs, ION Effective Care
    SOTC: JCN&S

:wav:
    cool, thank you! I'm thinking about picking up AVG conditioning balm (?) from Sally's if the Garnier and Aubrey Organics conditioners don't work out. how long have you been CG for?
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...

Emerwen wrote: »
    Walmart:
    • V05 moisturizing conditioner (one of the smoothie ones)
    • Aussie's Three Minute Miracle
    • And today, a Giovanni conditioner I plan to try using as a leave in. It's not specified as a leave in, but our walmart did not have any of the leave in stuff. :(

Which Aussie's Three Minute Miracle do you use? Pre-CG, I used to use the Moist one, but I noticed it has a 'cone near the top of the list. So I bought the Sydney Smooth one more recently, but I think also has a 'cone but towards the end of the list. Has that affected your hair at all? I've only used it once and it felt fine so I don't know if I'll have buildup issues.

Gosh, I really have to stop talking over other people's threads with you. Haha sorry!

Styling: Curls Defining Moments Curl Release Serum, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, DevaCurl Set It Free, KCCC

curly.g wrote: »

If anybody would be able to recommend shampoos, conditioners, and styling creams (gels and mousses tend to make my hair crunchy) or any other wavy/curly advice I would very much appreciate it! I am a self proclaimed hair product junkie and I dream of the day when I will find my holy grail products!

Oh by the way, I used to be terrified of using gels in my hair, but it really does a lot to reduce frizz and give me hold. For example, as much as I love the Bioterra Curl Creme, if I try to use it without a gel on top, the curls will just loosen and unravel. Don't worry too much about crunch, most people get crunch with gels, but with a lot CG gels, it's easy to SOTC (scrunch out the crunch). After your hair is completely (and I mean COMPLETELY or else you'll get frizz), you just scrunch your hair until it's no longer crunchy. But then again, some people's hair simply doesn't like gel (again, Emerwen, gel is a no-no for you right?). But you could try a cheap gel and SOTC to see how your hair feels about it. You might end up with great results, so don't rule out a gel completely yet. Most people say mousses are drying and find them hard to SOTC. :cyclopsani:

cool, thank you! I'm thinking about picking up AVG conditioning balm (?) from Sally's if the Garnier and Aubrey Organics conditioners don't work out. how long have you been CG for?

I've been CG for a little over a month. It took me a month to see results, but I can say my hair has been behaving pretty well lately. :afro:

The conditioning balm is actually called GVP (Generic Value Products, I think). It's the generic version of Biolage Conditioning Balm. I believe Walgreen's also has a version (not called GVP, but has conditioning balm in the name), but I don't have a Walgreen's near me, so I've never used it. I use it as a leave-in. It's deeply moisturizing, but surprisingly light-weight. If you do happen to buy it, you'll notice it is extremely thick- like incredibly difficult to get out of the bottle thick. And while I'm experimenting with things that don't work out for me (for example I did a protein-treatment that went horribly wrong and my hair was a stringy, not curly, straw-like mess) I leave some conditioning balm in my hair overnight and it seems to instantly repair any damage I did. I also noticed my hair is rarely crunchy from gels if I use it as a leave-in. I don't even have to SOTC!

AVG is the naturallycurly.com abbreviation for aloe vera gel. Most people use Fruit of the Earth (FOTE AVG) brand. A lot of people love it. I don't. I need to take it out of my siggy. :disgust:

Most people LOVE the Aubrey Organics condishes. In fact, I don't think I've ever read anything but rave reviews for them. The product junkie in me is dying to go out and buy some, but I have a ton of condishes at home that I need to use up first. Tell me how you like it!

ruchipuchi wrote: »
    Welcome!!! I'm also a cheap-o college student and I've only been using drugstore products.

Pedaheh gave me some links when I was starting out about cheap products so I'll just copy and paste them:

CG on a budget
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...57#post1408457
    Affordable HG's
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...d.php?t=106987
    Alexjoujou's suggestions for newbies
    http://thewavytales.blogspot.com/200...picks-for.html
    CG products are listed on the left side of this blog.
    http://curlgirljourney.blogspot.com/

Of course double check ingredients because they change sometimes.

The products I use are listed in my signature and they're all under $10 (most under $5).

My HGs (holy grails) are the two I got at Sally's: GVP Conditioning Balm and Bioterra Curl Creme. A lot of people use it with the Bioterra Gel with success, but I use Herbal Essences Set Me Up.

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner is really great - it's about $4 something for a huge bottle. It's really moisturizing and smells great, but some people say it can be too heavy/moisturizing (if I'm not wrong, Emerwen, I think I read that you don't like it much, right?)
    Those first couple links aren't working for some reason, just so you know :)

And you're right, that stuff dried my hair out and left it really brassy. I would venture to guess that it has something to do with protein, only I use the V05 smoothie one with milk protein, and my hair likes that, so I don't know.
    Which Aussie's Three Minute Miracle do you use? Pre-CG, I used to use the Moist one, but I noticed it has a 'cone near the top of the list. So I bought the Sydney Smooth one more recently, but I think also has a 'cone but towards the end of the list. Has that affected your hair at all? I've only used it once and it felt fine so I don't know if I'll have buildup issues.

Gosh, I really have to stop talking over other people's threads with you. Haha sorry!
    I think I use the original one *goes to check* Nope, it's the moist one. And yes, it does have dimethicone, but that is water soluble. Down at the very bottom of the list are two other small ones, but I am finding them in most conditioners. I am not too worried about buildup at this moment, but if I start to notice it, then I'll stop. (ETA: Nevermind, Dimethicone is not water soluble. Darn. I guess I will have to get rid of it at the end after all. :( )
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=28711 This is a good thread if you are looking for cheap conditioners.

And yes, we really do. Though it is rather fun... for us. Not so sure they agree.
    But then again, some people's hair simply doesn't like gel (again, Emerwen, gel is a no-no for you right?). But you could try a cheap gel and SOTC to see how your hair feels about it. You might end up with great results, so don't rule out a gel completely yet. Most people say mousses are drying and find them hard to SOTC.
    Correct again. My hair prefers no gel. I think it may be an ingredient in the gels or that it is just really heavy/thick, but I am finding that almond oil and biotera curl cream work well together and help eliminate my frizziness. Granted, this is day two, but still. I got stuck in a downpour which totally drenched my hair and I today, and the frizziest part is the top where I did not put the almond oil. The bottom isn't as nice, but it is no where near as bad as I have gotten before. If this trend continues, I may have found my HG products. :D
    Most people LOVE the Aubrey Organics condishes. In fact, I don't think I've ever read anything but rave reviews for them. The product junkie in me is dying to go out and buy some, but I have a ton of condishes at home that I need to use up first. Tell me how you like it!
    Yes! I really, really want to try the honeysuckle and rose one! The Product Junkie in me is begging me to buy it, but the me looking at my pocket book and all my current stuff in my room is saying "NO MORE!"

I think I have only heard one or two people say anything negative about them at all.

Hair Routine:

I think I use the original one *goes to check* Nope, it's the moist one. And yes, it does have dimethicone, but that is water soluble. Down at the very bottom of the list are two other small ones, but I am finding them in most conditioners. I am not too worried about buildup at this moment, but if I start to notice it, then I'll stop. (ETA: Nevermind, Dimethicone is not water soluble. Darn. I guess I will have to get rid of it at the end after all. )

Aww this is sad news. I've always loved Aussie products, especially the 3MM. I really don't want to throw mine out. Maybe I'll just do the lemonaid rinse after I use it.
    I am finding that almond oil and biotera curl cream work well together and help eliminate my frizziness. Granted, this is day two, but still. I got stuck in a downpour which totally drenched my hair and I today, and the frizziest part is the top where I did not put the almond oil. The bottom isn't as nice, but it is no where near as bad as I have gotten before. If this trend continues, I may have found my HG products.

Today, I tried to not use the Bioterra Curl Creme to see if my hair was doing well becaues it's finally adjusting to the CG or as a direct result of the Bioterra... It's the Bioterra. It's officially a HG for me.
    Curly.g, I can not stress how amazing this product is! I absolutely recommend it. It's only $5-6 and it's so amazing.
    Yes! I really, really want to try the honeysuckle and rose one! The Product Junkie in me is begging me to buy it, but the me looking at my pocket book and all my current stuff in my room is saying "NO MORE!"

Oh my gosh, that's the one I want to get too!! I've heard some protein sensitive curlies don't like the GPB or BGP or GPS (whatever, it's some combination of letters after Aubrey Organics) but apparently all the others are protein-free! Yipeee! :blob8:

After I finish my gel and atleast one more bottle of condish, I am running to Sally's to get the Bioterra Gel and to Vitamin Shoppe for some Aubrey Organics! Yay! :laughing8:

wow, I'm definitely going to have to try the Bioterra Curl Creme, it sounds awesome! out of curiosity, which gel do you use over it? do you mix the two? or do you just apply the gel over the creme?

I've ready really really good reviews about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Aubrey-Organics-Honeysuckle-Rose-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-1015.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=aubrey-organics-honeysuckle-rose-conditioner]Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose conditioner[/buylink], but I bought the Island Naturals conditioner because I read on a blog that they really liked that one too and I thought I would like the all spice smell better! So far I like it, the texture is different than most other conditioners I've tried. It's hard to tell how well it has been conditioning my hair so far because I use the Giovanni leave-in afterwards, and I'm still in my first week of being CG so I'm not quite sure what's normal and what's not (though I have noticed my hair is getting curlier)!

After I've used up this one and my GTN, I think I'm going to try the GVP conditioning balm (thanks for correcting me!) unless I cave and buy it beforehand!
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...

I have yet to find anywhere around here that sells Aubrey Organics :( So, if I get it, it will likely be online, which is annoying because then you also have to pay for shipping. Bleah.

I see in your sig that you are using a V05 conditioner; which one?

Hair Routine:

wow, I'm definitely going to have to try the Bioterra Curl Creme, it sounds awesome! out of curiosity, which gel do you use over it? do you mix the two? or do you just apply the gel over the creme?

I layer it.. Leave-in first, then curl creme, then comb both of those through, then I scrunch in gel (if I rake, it makes my curls stringy). Funnyyy story! I bought Herbal Essences Set Me Up, but hadn't really used it yet because I had a big ol' bottle of LA Looks Curl gel still lying around. I didn't really test whether they would play nice with each other so I just scrunched huge globs into the right side of my head. Warning: LA Looks and Bioterra DO NOT play nice. It turned into a white flaky mess. I used Set Me Up on the other side. I had a fantastic hair day, but half my head was white. I think you said that you thought Set Me Up might be too much for your hair.. but it's really not that heavy or crunchy I promise.
    Both of you are making it so hard for me to resist the urge to get some Aubrey Organics right now!!! What's the consistency like?
    I have yet to find anywhere around here that sells Aubrey Organics

My Walmart has a lot of organic stuff (more than Target), but I'm not sure if I saw the Aubrey Organics there. BUT I did see it at the Vitamin Shoppe, so maybe check there or a similar store? I have a feeling if you cave and buy it, I'm going to be running to the Vitamin Shoppe to get myself some! *Resist*

Walmart (At least the one I went to yesterday) did not have it that I saw. Drug Emporium did not have it. I did not check Jack's. I don't know what other stores we have around here that may have it. I shall look into it..... but not right now! :sad5:

Hair Routine:

I'm using the VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie right now for my co-wash!

I found my Aubrey Organics Shampoo at a whole foods where I'm originally from because I went home last week for fall break, but there's nothing like whole foods where I go to school, just a good old Sally's, Target and Wal Mart!

I'm not quite sure how to describe the consistency-it's thicker and it was kind of hard to spread evenly through out my hair which is between BSL and armpit length. I think on a message board someone said it has granules in it, but I haven't noticed any.

I have a question- after you guys first started transitioning, did your hair seem a little oilier or like it's harder to get clean? Is that normal?
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...

I'm using the VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie right now for my co-wash!

I found my Aubrey Organics Shampoo at a whole foods where I'm originally from because I went home last week for fall break, but there's nothing like whole foods where I go to school, just a good old Sally's, Target and Wal Mart!

I'm not quite sure how to describe the consistency-it's thicker and it was kind of hard to spread evenly through out my hair which is between BSL and armpit length. I think on a message board someone said it has granules in it, but I haven't noticed any.

I have a question- after you guys first started transitioning, did your hair seem a little oilier or like it's harder to get clean? Is that normal?

Yes it's completely normal for your hair to feel oilier. It takes a few weeks or even a few months for your hair to get used to your new routine.Sometimes your hair may even look worse, but wait it out and it gets better (usually). Make sure you are scrubbing your scalp really well. Scrub till your arms hurt. Ok, maybe not that much, but a lot. Also double check your products for hidden 'cones. Some of my products had some ninja 'cones that I didn't notice till I read them a second or third time more thoroughly. Some people still shampoo (or low-poo) their hair occasionally, once a week/month/2-3 months. I do it once every two weeks. Look for a less harsh shampoo without ingredients like sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate or ammonium lauryl sulfate. Coco-betaine, cocamide betaine, decyl glucoside, sodium coco betaine are ok... Those are still cleansers but they don't strip the oils as much from your hair. Also be careful about some "sulfate free" shampoos like L'oreal Everpure.. They may be sulfate free but they have 'cones.

ETA: As I was doing my morning curly reading, I found this link, http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/06/ingredients-natural-hair-shopping-list.html, in this thread, http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=114576... Verryy helpful. Also, if you have free time, read the blog. I read a whole bunch of articles, they're very short and informative.

Emerwen, I was going to try to do my hair your way - just curl creme and almond oil, but I completely forgot to put the almond oil in!

How much do you use? How much of your hair do you put it in? Do you use it to seal or after your hair is dry to tame frizz?

I've been considering using less gel because even though my hair doesn't get crunchy, after I sleep on it, it's pretty matted and heavy and producty. Unfortunately, less/no gel means my hair won't really stay as curly, just sorta wavy and if I'm lucky, a few spirals. My hair is still drying, but it feels nice and light and soft. But I can already see it starting to frizz so I will be putting some almond oil in it after it dries. I don't even actually know what kind of hair you have? What's your curl pattern like? Porosity? Texture? Mine is coarse and pretty low porous so conditioner/product just sort of "sits" on my hair and it always feels coarse/rough (until I use almond oil, of course!).

I'm using the VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie right now for my co-wa
    That's what I'm using. I like it so far. Will probably switch around for a bit, but yeah. :)
    Emerwen, I was going to try to do my hair your way - just curl creme and almond oil, but I completely forgot to put the almond oil in!

How much do you use? How much of your hair do you put it in? Do you use it to seal or after your hair is dry to tame frizz?

I've been considering using less gel because even though my hair doesn't get crunchy, after I sleep on it, it's pretty matted and heavy and producty. Unfortunately, less/no gel means my hair won't really stay as curly, just sorta wavy and if I'm lucky, a few spirals. My hair is still drying, but it feels nice and light and soft. But I can already see it starting to frizz so I will be putting some almond oil in it after it dries. I don't even actually know what kind of hair you have? What's your curl pattern like? Porosity? Texture? Mine is coarse and pretty low porous so conditioner/product just sort of "sits" on my hair and it always feels coarse/rough (until I use almond oil, of course!).

LOL. Yeah... that would likely be bad for my hair. I've been putting one squirt of Curl Cream with a few drops of almond oil, mix them in my hands, and apply by scrunching.

Yeah, gel makes my hair look producty too. Almond oil does if you put too much - as I found out Sunday.

My curl pattern is erratic. Mostly, I'm around a 3a level, but right next to my temple on one (not both) sides, I have 2 really tight spirals and an almost straight strand. -_- That is the part of my head that gives me no end of grief no matter how I try to do my hair, especially since I have a cowlick right behind them. I'll try to find a picture where my hair is semi-behaving. Most of them are from a year or two ago, so that's not overly helpful. Hmm... I'm not a huge fan of these pics, but they give you an idea of my hair, I guess. I recently got it trimmed (the ends were totally dead), so it's only about BSL now. :(
    60104_140459912665717_100001051284941_211507_2137903_n.jpg 62123_140459802665728_100001051284941_211503_7462797_n.jpg n572079274_427973_3370.jpg This last picture is of me is from about 2 or so years ago. It shows how my curl pattern (and frizz) used to be. This is actually not totally dry, I don't think. It was right after I dyed it, hence the picture. Forgive the bad quality.

As for texture and what not, I'm not 100% sure. I'd always thought my hair was really course, but it is softening up a lot. While I wouldn't call it fine, I am thinking it is likely somewhere in the middle. (It probably also has to do with whether or not I've dyed my hair recently).

I think I have mediumish porosity, but again, I'm not sure. I always thought my hair took forever to dry, and I still think it does, but it does not (usually) take 8 or so hours like some of the people here are saying. However, I also have really thin hair. So, while I have a bunch of body, it is REALLY thin, so that could have something to do with it. But my hair does not absorb products overly well - at least not all products. It also doesn't seem to like jojaba oil a whole lot for some reason. Jojaba left my hair feeling rather oily. But Almond oil does not leave it that way.

ETA: I don't know if they actually resized the pictures or not. sorry if they are really large.

Hair Routine:

LOL. Yeah... that would likely be bad for my hair. I've been putting one squirt of Curl Cream with a few drops of almond oil, mix them in my hands, and apply by scrunching.

Yeah, gel makes my hair look producty too. Almond oil does if you put too much - as I found out Sunday.

My curl pattern is erratic. Mostly, I'm around a 3a level, but right next to my temple on one (not both) sides, I have 2 really tight spirals and an almost straight strand. -_- That is the part of my head that gives me no end of grief no matter how I try to do my hair, especially since I have a cowlick right behind them. I'll try to find a picture where my hair is semi-behaving. Most of them are from a year or two ago, so that's not overly helpful. Hmm... I'm not a huge fan of these pics, but they give you an idea of my hair, I guess. I recently got it trimmed (the ends were totally dead), so it's only about BSL now. :(

This last picture is of me is from about 2 or so years ago. It shows how my curl pattern (and frizz) used to be. This is actually not totally dry, I don't think. It was right after I dyed it, hence the picture. Forgive the bad quality.

As for texture and what not, I'm not 100% sure. I'd always thought my hair was really course, but it is softening up a lot. While I wouldn't call it fine, I am thinking it is likely somewhere in the middle. (It probably also has to do with whether or not I've dyed my hair recently).

I think I have mediumish porosity, but again, I'm not sure. I always thought my hair took forever to dry, and I still think it does, but it does not (usually) take 8 or so hours like some of the people here are saying. However, I also have really thin hair. So, while I have a bunch of body, it is REALLY thin, so that could have something to do with it. But my hair does not absorb products overly well - at least not all products. It also doesn't seem to like jojaba oil a whole lot for some reason. Jojaba left my hair feeling rather oily. But Almond oil does not leave it that way.

ETA: I don't know if they actually resized the pictures or not. sorry if they are really large.

Oh my gosh, your hair is so beautiful. It's shiinnyyyy. Your hair in the last picture doesn't look bad at all. I love the color and the frizz isn't even that noticeable! I love how you say, "it's only BSL now"... Hahaha, that's my GOAL length. I'm only at shoulder length right now and it'll probably take me over 6 months to even get to APL. :crybaby:

I totally understand erratic hair. I have layers and the bottom layers barely curl so the top layers are curly (and therefore even shorter than when they are straight) and then I have random straight pieces at the bottom. Also, I inevitably have random pieces on top that stay straight and a couple pieces in front that are curly. My bangs are pretty short - so short that my hair can't quite finish the last curl at the bottom, it just stops at the point where it's sticking out at a right angle to my head. I always have to pin them back.

Hehehe, wanna see my crazy hair pictures? This was about 2 months ago... (You can't see the awkward pieces in the front because it's all so crazy and poofy and not quite as curly)
    1646251801-vi.jpg
    :laughing1:

A few years ago when my hair was super short (like less than chin length), I had 3a curls.. Think Shirley Temple. I looked like I was 5. I'm hoping with some TLC my 2c will go back to being 3a, but that may have been due to the length.

• aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Hey guys! Welcome!

I just wanted to say I am one that actually can't stand the AO honeysuckle rose conditioner... Maybe the stuff is good, I don't know, but it smelled so strong I couldn't stand it. And I love strongly scented stuff! But it just smells like incense and old grandmas to me lol. I have nearly a full bottle and only used it twice and now it's laying around because I haven't figured out what I can use it for lol.

But Bioterra curl cream rocks! I use the bioterra gel on top, and it's really nice, BUT the gel dries with no crunch and I like to SOTC for hold so I haven't used it in awhile. So if you like a little more hold, but don't like the crunch, try using a decent leave in under the curl cream, then the gel. I've never had much crunch with that gel using other curling stylers underneath it either, but always use a leave in.

Just wanted to say you guys have gorgeous hair! AND OMG I would love your length in those pics Emerwen! Gorgeous! :)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

This last picture is of me is from about 2 or so years ago. It shows how my curl pattern (and frizz) used to be. This is actually not totally dry, I don't think. It was right after I dyed it, hence the picture. Forgive the bad quality.

Oh my gosh, your hair is so beautiful. It's shiinnyyyy. Your hair in the last picture doesn't look bad at all. I love the color and the frizz isn't even that noticeable! I love how you say, "it's only BSL now"... Hahaha, that's my GOAL length. I'm only at shoulder length right now and it'll probably take me over 6 months to even get to APL. :crybaby:

I totally understand erratic hair. I have layers and the bottom layers barely curl so the top layers are curly (and therefore even shorter than when they are straight) and then I have random straight pieces at the bottom. Also, I inevitably have random pieces on top that stay straight and a couple pieces in front that are curly. My bangs are pretty short - so short that my hair can't quite finish the last curl at the bottom, it just stops at the point where it's sticking out at a right angle to my head. I always have to pin them back.

Hehehe, wanna see my crazy hair pictures? This was about 2 months ago... (You can't see the awkward pieces in the front because it's all so crazy and poofy and not quite as curly)
    :laughing1:

A few years ago when my hair was super short (like less than chin length), I had 3a curls.. Think Shirley Temple. I looked like I was 5. I'm hoping with some TLC my 2c will go back to being 3a, but that may have been due to the length.
    Your hair looks like it is fun! :D I wish mine could be a "mess" and actually look cute! it looks almost intentionally tousled like that. I like it a lot :D And I really envy your eyes. They are gorgeous! (even in the bad lighting) :D

When my hair was short it was a MESS! Oh goodness, I was so glad when it grew out to shoulder length and beyond. My hair actually gets curlier the longer it gets, so I am never again cutting my hair short. It is too unmanageable. I cut mine to about earlobe length (when wet), and it was horrid until it grew out. I actually had to perm it to give it shape. (I was young though and had no intention of spending time on my hair).

Thanks :) I actually miss that color from the last pic. I am naturally a blonde, but I've been dying it for a while now (part of why, I think, it is so hard for me to pinpoint porosity and what not). I want my blonde hair back, but after my.... uh, hair fiasco last March, I am going to VERY slowly go back.

And yes, I say "just BSL" because I want to have Waist Length hair wen CURLY! I would love to have hip length, but I don't even know if my hair will grow that long.

Aislin: Yeah, I miss that length. But, I got most of my dead ends trimmed off by cuttong off a couple inches. I have about half a cm left that needs to be trimmed, but I'm doing that on my own, not letting anyone else do it for me, I think. Unless I can get my friend here on campus to do it just because she's used to doing it.

Hmmm.... the inscence sounds not so bad. Old grandma... not so much.
    aislin wrote:
    But Bioterra curl cream rocks! I use the bioterra gel on top, and it's really nice, BUT the gel dries with no crunch and I like to SOTC for hold so I haven't used it in awhile. So if you like a little more hold, but don't like the crunch, try using a decent leave in under the curl cream, then the gel. I've never had much crunch with that gel using other curling stylers underneath it either, but always use a leave in.
    Hmmm.... it is tempting to try the bioteria gel, but I don't want to buy it and find out I don't like it then have it sitting around. It's not all that cheap. Does Sally's do returns do you know?

Hair Routine:

:laughing3:
    Hahahahahahahaha FUN?! I actually took that picture to show my friend what natural hair looks like and he said I looked like a crack addict. :hippy2: It always reminds me of the cartoon person on these bottles:
    FRIZZserum.jpg

I've had one phenomenal hair day and a couple of pretty good ones and the rest are all... "not bad, Ruch, you don't look homeless today!"

My phenomenal hair day:
    Snapshot_20101008_11-vi.jpg
    Snapshot_20101008_14-vi.jpg
    It was just so perfect and curly and even and there was no frizz. Why can't it do that everday?!

"Not bad, Ruch, you don't look homeless today!" (Today actually):
    Snapshot_20101013_2-vi.jpg

Unfortunately while the front looks tolerable, the back looks scraggly and stringy and slight matted. Honestly, I think it looks pretty good from the front even though I had a couple of those half curls sticking out the side of my head that I tucked under longer hair for the picture but they found an escape route in a few minutes and stayed sticking out the rest of the day.

Snapshot_20101013_1-vi.jpg

I want long hair so so badly. My mom is the least girly person in the universe and until I was about 17, she kept it as a boycut and would not allow me to grow it out. 5 years later, I'm only at shoulder length (ok, I've cut it from almost APL to slightly shorter than shoulder length twice and got a bob once. But still, my hair takes FOREVER to grow... Do you do anything special to help with the growth process?

Aislin.. YAY another member of the Biotera curl creme fan club.:blob4: I'm really itching to go out and get the gel, but I juts checked out the Sally website and they have 3 different things.. A styling gel, a gel spray, and a styling glaze.. Which do you use?

Curly.g, here we go hijacking your thread again. Tell us if you want us to start a separate thread!

:-o LOVELY!!!!! Your hair is beautiful (as are you)! Oh, I am envious! You have so much body and your curls look so soft! :D

Do you use bobby pins in your hair?

Hair Routine:

You guys both have such pretty hair!
    Ruchipuchi- I'm hoping that's what my hair looks like once I'm mostly done transitioning (it's already starting to get a little curlier!)
    Emerwen- I know you said that that is an old picture, but I'm envious of your length! I can't wait until my hair is that long!

Also, Ruchipuchi I tried your method of how you apply product once you're out of the shower, and it made my hair so much curlier and softer without nearly as much frizz!

both of you guys have been such a big help. =)
    CG since September 2010

experimenting with...

:-o LOVELY!!!!! Your hair is beautiful (as are you)! Oh, I am envious! You have so much body and your curls look so soft! :D

Do you use bobby pins in your hair?

Thank you! I hope my hair looks that nice more often, it's a work in progress. But I'm getting there! :tongue5:

I sometimes pin back my bangs with bobby pins. They're a little short and don't always curl right (if at all). Also I'm so envious of those girls with long side swept bangs that hang a little over their eyes and it's completely normal to them. That is so not me. I get annoyed with things in my eyes or even a little bit over my forehead so even if I try to leave my bangs down, I get annoyed and start pinning them away by the end of the day. I've started trying to make it a little girlier by putting one of those fabric flower clips on top of the bobby pins so it looks more intentional and "stylish". Ha!

You guys both have such pretty hair!
    Ruchipuchi- I'm hoping that's what my hair looks like once I'm mostly done transitioning (it's already starting to get a little curlier!)
    Emerwen- I know you said that that is an old picture, but I'm envious of your length! I can't wait until my hair is that long!

Also, Ruchipuchi I tried your method of how you apply product once you're out of the shower, and it made my hair so much curlier and softer without nearly as much frizz!

both of you guys have been such a big help. =)

I'm glad the products are working for you!

Lol, yeah, stuff in my eyes gets annoying. But I have a couple strands that always fall in my eyes regardless of how I do my hair. I've shied away from bobby pins just because I am inept with them. :-?

So, I'm not putting in curl cream today, just almond oil and my conditioner (stuff I use in the shower and as leave in.... which needs to change soon. My hair is too dry). I want to see what my hair will do since it's back in a braid today since I have lab and unbound hair is not allowed.

Hair Routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file