How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?

lldm2lldm2 Posts: 173Registered Users
  • What time do you wake up?
  • How long does it take to get ready?
  • What time do you go to sleep?
  • How do you save time getting ready?
I have to be out the door by 6:15... and it seems like waking up at 4:20 every day is just a distant dream. I'm not a morning person, and was late around 30 times last year, and my mother said if I'm late one more time this year [been late once.], I have to go to my town high school because she's not willing to drive me the twenty minutes to school. I do not want to leave this school, so I guess I need to step up on being responsible. Anyone want to offer some help for a slowpoke?
3c/4a

Wanting;
APL/MBL

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I can be ready and out the door in 35 minutes. If I have to get my 2 kids out the door with me then it takes me an hour.

Its a mystery to me why people need longer than that. But I am generally a morning person (as are my kids) - I hit the ground running. No need to ease into my day

I get up, straight into the shower (10 minutes), dress and put product in my hair (5 minutes), eat a quick breakfast (10 minutes), then head back upstairs to put on my makeup and check my hair (10 minutes). I have a 1 hour commute in the car, so I let my hair air dry in the car. As I arrive at work, I quickly pop in the washroom and check my makeup and hair.

If I have to get my kids ready - I wake them up and bring them and their clothes into my room so the older one can dress himself while I'm in the shower. Then I quickly get the younger one dressed. We all have breakfast and I let them finish up while I do my makeup. Then out the door....

I would see what you can do to streamline your morning. Shower and wash your hair the night before. Have your clothes laid out already.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    10-20 minutes

Shower: about 5 min
    Hair: less than 1 minute and let air dry
    Dressing: about 2 minutes
    Make-up: less than 5 minutes

gathering stuff up to go is usually my downfall. I am such a scatterbrain I probably spend more time looking for stuff than actually getting myself ready.

:
  • NessyNessy Posts: 788Registered Users
    It usually takes me 45 mins to get ready in the morning. This includes a shower (but not washing my hair :)).

Try to do as much as you can the night before, such as:

Showering before bed
    Packing your lunch
    Picking your clothes out
    Packing your school bag

Not sure how late you go to bed, but try going to bed a bit earlier so you are well rested and don't feel so lazy/tired when you wake up.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    About 90 minutes. Literally.

First, I have to feed the cat. Then shower-which can take 10-30 minutes depending on if I wash my hair that day or not (I usually only wash my hair once during the week). Then find clothes to wear, do my hair, eat and pack my lunch. I am so not a morning person either and honestly, I don't get how people can get ready in less than an half hour.

Yes, I know I can pack my lunch and lay out my clothes the night before but I usually forget or am too tired to do so. Taking a shower the night before is out for me these days, because I sweat in my sleep. I'd only end up needing another shower in the morning anyway.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    What time do you wake up?
    Depends on the day. Mondays-Thursdays @ 10:45AM, Fridays @ 9AM. and on the weekend usually 10-11AM
    How long does it take to get ready?
    About 45minutes to an hour.
    What time do you go to sleep?
    11PM on weekdays and 1AM on Fridays and Saturdays.
    How do you save time getting ready?
    Sometimes I wake up earlier so that I have time to eat!
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    • What time do you wake up? 6:40 if I need to take a shower; 7:00 if I've showered the night before
    • How long does it take to get ready? An hour if I washed my hair or shaved my legs that morning; 40 minutes if I don't have to shower
    • What time do you go to sleep? I'm out of the shower by 10:15, then read for 30-45 minutes (an hour if I'm really involved in my novel OR am reading the new Vanity Fair)
    • How do you save time getting ready? Shower the night before. Everything else is pretty much set in stone, from the makeup to scooping the kitty litter to getting my lunch ready. Oh, and figuring out what I'm going to wear from the skin out before I go to bed the night before
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    Actual "getting ready" (i.e., dressing, makeup, shower and hair, not in that order!) takes me about 30 minutes.

Somehow, letting the dogs out, feeding them, eating my own breakfast, cleaning up the dishes (mine and the dogs'), etc., eats up about another 40 minutes.

I can cut all of this down if I rush, but I don't like to rush in the a.m. And I am not a morning person, so actually getting out of bed and putting feet on the floor after the alarm rings probably adds about 5 minutes to my routine!

The best way to ensure you are on time is to accurately figure out how long each step takes you, add five minutes to the whole, and calculate backward from there. In other words, if you have to leave the house at 7:30, and you know it takes you 45 minutes to get ready and out of the house, add on 5 minutes to that (in case of snags) -- you get 50 minutes. Subtract from 7:30, and you know you need to get up at 6:40 a.m.

Also a good suggestion to prepare as many things as possible the night before -- but I do prefer a morning shower to wake me up. PLUS, my hair doesn't keep well overnight!
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    I get up at 6, and I have to leave by 6:40 at the latest, but I prefer 6:30.

I shower and straighten my hair the night before. I just touch it up in the morning, so that takes 10 minutes.

I also try to lay out my outfit the night before (Jeans/skirt, cami, tee, cardi/jacket) so getting dressed takes around 5 minutes.

General hygiene (brushing teeth, applying deodorant, a quick spritz of perfume, flossing teeth) takes around 5 minutes.

Makeup (concealer, powder, eyeliner, mascara, eye highlight, and lipgloss) takes about 5 minutes.

And it takes around 5 minutes to get my backpack together and to get on my shoes. Then I fill up my camelbak, graba granola bar and head out the door.

That's around half an hour, so I'm usually out the door by 6:30-6:35. Just figure out how long it takes you to get ready, add 10 minutes, and subtract that from the time you have to leave. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!

Oh! And when I go to bed varies--the joys of being a HS student....
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    What time do you wake up? None of my classes start until 11, so I usually wake up around 9:30.
    How long does it take to get ready? I'm usually ready and out of the door by 10:30. [/B]
    What time do you go to sleep? It depends on how much work I have. Usually somewhere around 12.

How do you save time getting ready? Setting out clothes the night before, or at least having an idea of what I want to wear. Also, not trying to get my hair "perfect", because it usually turns out best when I don't fuss with it for too long anyway!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    omg. forever, and i'm not even good at it.

it takes about 8 minutes to make my breakfast. eating/taking meds takes about 15. then i have to wait until i have to go to the bathroom (dont like to go after a shower, and dont like to go to work unless i have gone) while i iron or something. then i actually go to the bathroom and brush my teeth...brushing and flossing and picking at my fixed retainer and looking for tonsil stones takes about 8 minutes. i shower for about 20 minutes. then i dry off and put on lotion/scrape off any blackheads that have come up from the hot water with a cloth. then i clean my ears and wash my makeup brushes and dry them. then i put on my acne/rosacea medicine. all that takes about 10 minutes. then i gel/comb my hair for 10 minutes. then i put on makeup for like 15-20 (i have ruddy skin...takes me a long time). then i dry my hair for like 10 minutes. then i get dresses for like 5, and then i fix my hair again for like 5.

how many hours is that?

i'm just a mess. :sad3:
    ;)
  • NorthCoastLadyNorthCoastLady Posts: 230Registered Users
    I need at least an hour to drink a few cups of coffee before I get ready. After that, about 30 minutes. Less if I showered the night before. Most of that time is spent searching for something suitable to wear. I don't usually wear makeup during the day.
    2a in the front/sides, 2b in the back.
    Highly porous, dry, fine, low elasticity
    Currently experimenting- I'm on a mission to eventually use all homemade products for my hair!
    CG since July '10.
    co-wash with White Rain Energizing Citrus
    Using coconut oil on ends nightly
    styling with aloe vera gel
    DT once a week with mayo, egg, olive oil.
    Focusing on scalp and hair health first, then length.
  • teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I work out, that adds another hour to my routine, which means I need to get up an hour earlier. It also depends if I bathe the night before, or, in the morning, which adds another 15 minutes to my routine. Whether I work out or not drives the time I go to bed. If I work out, I like to be in bed by 10pm at the latest, and 9pm if I can. If I don't, by 11 pm, at the latest. I work out three days per week, btw.

That said, in order for me to be ready to leave @ 7:30 am, I need to be up by 5:30 at the latest if I don't work out, and by 4:30 if I do work out. Fixing my hair and applying my makeup take about 30 minutes. Cleaning up bathroom, making bed, and tending to plants - 20 minutes. Eating breakfast, and dressing - 30 minutes. Gathering up my belongings and taking out the trash - 5 minutes. Checking around and under my car for flat tires and other obstacles - 1 minute - something my dad trained me to do. :)

I don't like to be rushed in the morning. My day turns out busted when I am.
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It usually takes about 20 minutes. But I can make myself basically presentable and be out the door in 5 minutes.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    I hate being rushed. If I have to be somewhere I usually give myself an hour, but prefer 2!

I can and have gotten ready in about 30/40 mins before but it gets me all flustered and rushing about ruins the rest of the day for me. No doubt I will be wearing something uncomfortable, will have forgotten something, my hair will be soaking wet down my back and I will look, and feel, a mess.

Also it takes me a while to work up to being hungry enough for breakfast, just eating for sake of it makes me feel sick first thing in the morning, but as I loath lunch foods, its best I eat something before I leave- usually there's is no time later when I am hungry to eat, or the food on offer makes me gag.

Yeah- I have big problems with lunch foods. And eating out at a lot of places. And carrying soggy, squashed, warm food in my bag. Off topic slightly, but yeah, I do need time in the morning to eat breakfast at a leisurely pace.
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have to wake up at 7:00am and I'm out by 7:15.

Wake up, go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, put on clothes I laid out the night before.

Out to other room, get bag(s) I packed the night before.

Downstairs, get breakfast and lunch I packed the night before.

Out the door.

I live by the "do it the night before" philosophy. If I don't do that, it can take 30-45 minutes and I usually forget something, which ruins my day entirely.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • AsLckyGrlAsLckyGrl Posts: 188Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^ I agree with her (above me)
    3B ; BSL; Low Porosity; Med Texture; CG since July '10.
    Clean: Ever Sleek
    Treat: EVCO, Neutrogena 3xMoisture
    Tools: Boar Brush, wide tooth comb
    Styler: Garnier Sleek&Shine
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Now that school's are back on I'm usually up by 5:15 (I'm up later in the summer because my commute is so much shorter) and out the door at 6:45. I get up, brush my teeth, shower and wash my hair, get my first skincare product on my face, hairstyling products, body lotion. Then I start the coffee, and start boiling a couple of eggs. Then I slather on the next skin care product. Pick out clothes, iron if necessary, get dresses. Drink my coffee, eat breakfast. More skin stuff. Diffuse hair for a few minutes. Prepare my lunch if I didn't do so the night before. Final skin stuff. Diffuse hair some more. Make-up. Out the door. Blast the heat in the car to dry my hair the rest of the way.

My skin and hair suck. I'd kill for hair that looks decent pulled back into a ponytail.

I actually can and have gotten out the door a lot sooner, but I'd rather take my time first thing in the morning.
    Eres o te haces?
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If I don't take my time, 45 minutes.

15 minutes to shower: bathing, shampoo & rinse hair, condition, comb through, wash face, shave legs, rinse conditioner.

The rest of the routine:
    Brush teeth
    Lotion on face
    Comb out hair
    Apply Gel
    Diffuse dry
    Apply a tiny bit of make-up

Annnnnnnd, I'm ready to go. Still takes way longer than I would like, but I've cut it down as much as I possibly can and 45 minutes is what I'm left with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    About an hour. I get up at 6:30 or so and usually end up walking out the door at about 7:30, plus or minus. I generally go to bed around ten, but that varies by an hour or more depending on how my day was or what I did with my evening.

As far as saving time-- I really don't. It takes me about an hour, and that's just what it is. Now, I don't have kids, I don't live super far from work (30 minutes), so I have no real motivation to save time getting ready. Getting ready is how I prepare for my day. I think about what I've got going on and what I need to accomplish, I boost myself up for the day ahead, I think about the things that I don't want to be thinking about at work so that I don't end up thinking about them at work. I need that time. If I rush to get ready in the morning or skip steps or whatever, it can really negatively impact my day.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I take a bath the night before and that saves a lot of time on getting ready. I rewash my underarms, feet, and certain other areas and then put on some deodorant. That takes all of 1 minute.

I get up at 6:30 and from then until about 7:15 I get breakfast ready, make lunches, wash dishes, start a load of laundry, vacuum and other various things to make sure I come home to a clean house.

My husband gets our son up and feeds the cats.

7:15-7:30 is spent doing hair, makeup, and getting dress. I try to put my clothes out the night before. My hair takes no time at all because I only shampoo every 7-10 days and mostly keep it in a braid 24/7.

Sometimes my husband will let me sleep 'til 7am if I am exhausted and have a hardtime getting up. I always make a large pot of rice and have potatoes ready if I don't have time to cook. I keep bags of frozen vegetables in the freezer at work. So sometimes all I have to do is cook a meat and put it in a tupperware bowl. We keep soy sauce, ketchup, mustard and other condiments in the fridge at work. Lunch isn't an issue.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,772Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What time do you wake up? 5:30
    How long does it take to get ready? 30 minutes
    What time do you go to sleep? 10:00pm
    How do you save time getting ready? I bathe and do my hair at night.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    I don't have a set time I wake up. I have to leave by 7:20, but sometimes I wake up at 5, sometimes it's 6:45.

I just always make sure that my hair is straightened and I shower the night before - that saves a lot of time in the morning. All my stuff is also packed the night before and by the door so I don't forget anything. Have at least an idea of what you want to wear before you sleep. You can eat breakfast in the car if it takes twenty minutes to get to school. Just find out what takes the longest time in your routine and cut it down, or cut it out.

But it's probably easier just to get up earlier.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Geez, some of you are up and out early!

Alarm goes off at 6.30am, I get up about 6.45am

I leave the house 7.30 - 7.40.

In that 45-50 minutes, I have breakfast, feed the cat, shower (I wash my hair at night) moisturise, get dressed, put on a small amount of makeup, pack my gym bag if I didn't do it the night before, make lunch, tidy my hair and brush my teeth.

I have on occasion overslept and got up at 7 and still did everything of the above except shower and pack my gym bag and I was still out the door by 7.40.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • lldm2lldm2 Posts: 173Registered Users
    Thanks for all the input everyone :)
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    I don't have a set time I wake up. I have to leave by 7:20, but sometimes I wake up at 5, sometimes it's 6:45.

I just always make sure that my hair is straightened and I shower the night before - that saves a lot of time in the morning. All my stuff is also packed the night before and by the door so I don't forget anything. Have at least an idea of what you want to wear before you sleep. You can eat breakfast in the car if it takes twenty minutes to get to school. Just find out what takes the longest time in your routine and cut it down, or cut it out.

No, that's my problem. I have nobody willing to drive me to school; I have to take the bus. If I miss it again, I'm out of the school.

& it's definitely not easier for me to wake up earlier... haha ;p
    3c/4a

Wanting;
    APL/MBL
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    lldm2 wrote: »

No, that's my problem. I have nobody willing to drive me to school; I have to take the bus. If I miss it again, I'm out of the school.

If you're constantly that late then suck it up and get out of bed earlier!

Its really not hard! Yes it sucks- but if you have to catch a bus you have to catch a bus. I like lying in and being slow in the mornings but if I have to be somewhere like uni or work, I made sure I got up in time- like everyone else.

Use the tips here, work out how long it takes you and get up accordingly! No more excuses!

Here endeth the lesson :)
    kat180 wrote: »
    lldm2 wrote: »

If you're constantly that late then suck it up and get out of bed earlier!

Its really not hard! Yes it sucks- but if you have to catch a bus you have to catch a bus. I like lying in and being slow in the mornings but if I have to be somewhere like uni or work, I made sure I got up in time- like everyone else.

Use the tips here, work out how long it takes you and get up accordingly! No more excuses!

Here endeth the lesson :)

I totally agree. It's called the real world and this is how it works.
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    :dontknow:

we can give you all the tips in the world, but you have to be willing to use them. I don't like getting up early either, but you have to do what you have to do. Sleep earlier and set lots of alarms to help you wake up.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
    Put your alarm at the other side of the room so you have to get up to stop it.
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Get up at 7:15, Eat Breakfast (10 mins), Relax (10 mins), Use Bathroom and Shower (20 mins), Dress (5 mins), Apply Make-up (Not much) and Do hair (5 mins), Brush Teeth and Fuss around (10 mins) Leave at 8:15 to meet friends at 8:25 then get to school for 8:45. So an Hour :!::!::!::!:

How do I save time: I don't. I'm always rushing.
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • lldm2lldm2 Posts: 173Registered Users
    Yes, I understand; I do need to suck it up :P. Ugh, the real world's not pretty, haha. Don't worry, I am willing to use all you guy's tips. There's no point in asking if you're just going to waste everyone's time and not listen to what they have to say. I appreciate it :sunny:
    3c/4a

Wanting;
    APL/MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file