Retin-A questions

SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
Reeeeally basic questions. Do you get a prescription for Retin-A from a dermatologist, or can your regular doc give you one if you request it? Do you have to have bad acne to get a prescription?

My skin has been responding so well to retinol over the past 2 months...much to my amazement since my skin freaks out so easily...I'm ready to go crazy & bump it up! I'd be using it primarily for anti-aging & rejuvenation of sun-damaged skin although I do get hormone-triggered acne. Think my doc will cough up a script? Or should I just stick to OTC?

gosh, I feel vain even posting this....my skin is just SO much better since I started using retinol! :D
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Any doc can write a script for it. Whether your insurance company will pay for it is another story. Some will just pay, no questions asked, some want special certification from your doc that you suffer from acne...which shouldn't be difficult, since you said you do have acne.

I buy my Retin-A from Mexico, without an Rx. It's authentic Retin-A, and it's cheaper than a co-pay for me. It's $14-$24 per large 40 gram tube, plus $12 shipping with no limit on how many you can ship for that price, so I usually buy 6 at a time. I've never been disappointed in them.

http://medsmex.com/store3/customer/home.php?cat=42&page=2
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    <cackling> SWEET!
    formerly Castella
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    RCW - I'm not sure if I should get the Retin-A or Renova. Is the Renova just Retin-A in a moisturizer? I think that is what I've read. I'm going to google to find out more, but would be interested in your thoughts.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RCW - I'm not sure if I should get the Retin-A or Renova. Is the Renova just Retin-A in a moisturizer? I think that is what I've read. I'm going to google to find out more, but would be interested in your thoughts.

Yes, Renova is 0.1% Retin-A in a moisturizer. I think what you choose depends on your skin. If you're dry, choose Renova. If you're normal/combo, choose Retin-A cream. If you're oily, choose Retin-A gel.

I currently use the gel 0.01%, which is a VERY low dose. I have asked Medsmex.com to carry a higher dosage, and they said they are considering it, but they aren't doing it yet. I want to move up, so I'm probably going to get 0.025% or 0.05% cream next time I order. I think the 0.1% is too strong a dose for most people...and that's the dosage of Renova. But, maybe the moisturizer in Renova is heavy enough to counteract the flaking that high dose would cause. I really don't know.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I use the 0.05% Retin-A cream. I can't tell you what a difference it's made in my skin. I still have an acne problem even though I'm in my 50s, but Retin-A plus benzoyl peroxide work beautifully. I almost never get a pimple.

Plus, my skin is amazingly free of wrinkles! (Of course, I also stay out of the sun which doesn't hurt.)

I got the prescription from my primary care doc. She has to authorize it with the insurance company because they don't believe anyone over 30 has acne. Dummmmbbb...
    I use the 0.05% Retin-A cream. I can't tell you what a difference it's made in my skin. I still have an acne problem even though I'm in my 50s, but Retin-A plus benzoyl peroxide work beautifully. I almost never get a pimple.

Plus, my skin is amazingly free of wrinkles! (Of course, I also stay out of the sun which doesn't hurt.)

I got the prescription from my primary care doc. She has to authorize it with the insurance company because they don't believe anyone over 30 has acne. Dummmmbbb...
    Thanks to both of you.
    I wanted to order the Renova, but the site says they are out. I
    e-mailed them last week and have received no response. I just tried the livechat and no one is responding to that either. It makes me nervous to order from them.
    Maybe they're away for the holidays. I don't think it's a large staff. I have ordered from them many times, and have had great transactions and received my products usually in less than a week. I have never tried to order anything that was "out of stock" though. I would think that might take a while.
    I got a response about 20 minutes ago to the livechat, I had left that window open. They said they don't have a date for when it will be coming in.
  • mandyvmandyv Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been using Neutrogena anti-wrinkle serum at night and it stings a little bit for a few mins. Should I be worried?

http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails_320.asp?lProductLineID=16
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
    mandyv wrote:
    I've been using Neutrogena anti-wrinkle serum at night and it stings a little bit for a few mins. Should I be worried?

http://www.neutrogena.com/ProductsDetails_320.asp?lProductLineID=16

Does it make your skin irritated or red? If so, I'd use it every other night or even every three nights.
  • mandyvmandyv Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No, no redness, just stinging under my eyes. I'll keep using it unless I see redness or flaking.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I used the neutrogena anti-wrinkle intensive serum for 6 weeks! To test any possible sensitivity to retinol (I think the neutrogena has the retinyl palmate which is even milder).

You might try avoiding the eye area...I got some stinging around the eyes initially. I'm just so amazed...I expected eczema patches, peeling, flaking, redness but my skin just soaks retinol products right up. I'm so glad I tried it!

You can get cheap sample size tubes of Green Cream Level 6, a tube lasted me 5 uses but some people get weeks out of it. There are fewer ingredients which might be useful for you, in case it's not the ret. that's stinging but something like fragrance or preservative. (neutrogena always puts so darn much stuff in their products...I use a lot of neutrogena, but still--too many ingredients).
    formerly Castella
  • DarbyDarby Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,025Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My derm. suggested that I go on retin A but I'm chicken! I'm afraid my face will turn all red and breakout or something.
    How common is it to have bad reactions?? He said if I do get red, it should go away in time.
    Darby
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
    When starting on Retin-A it's not uncommon to have some dryness, flaking, possibly redness. The best way to deal with this is to only use the medication every other day, or every two or three days. It's also possible that the skin breaks out more than usual for a couple of weeks. Retin-A works by increasing cell turnover, so blemishes that are below the skin will come to the surface. These problems generally go away after a few weeks.

Retin-A works best when you're als using a topical disinfectant (like benzoyl peroxide) or antibiotic. Retin-A and BPO can't be used at the same time. BPO bleaches fabrics, so normally people use BPO in daytime and Retin-A at night.
    What about retinol products -- I see some are getting pretty good results using the neutrogena one. I'm wondering if that's worth a try.
    Any other drug store products with retinol?

ROC products have retinol, I believe. Retinol doesn't have as dramatic an effect as prescription retinoids, but it might be worth a try.
    what is ROC?

ROC is a brand name.

I haven't noticed much, if any, results from retinol contained in any over-the-counter creams/lotions/potions.
    ROC is the brand name.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=151677&catid=27516&trx=PLST-0-SEARCH&trxp1=27516&trxp2=151677&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SEARCH

I don't think they contain much retinol.

If you would like to learn about how different products are used to treat blemish-prone skin, you might want to read the information on Paula Begoun's website. She sells her own products, but also reviews a lot of others, and has good information on skin products. (I don't agree with everything she says, but I think her basic information is sound.)
    mostly I'm looking for something for hyperpigmentation or is that hypo??
    I have sun related spots (dark ones). I've had a few spots that had to be frozen off by a derm. dr. that were pre-cancerous. I just have un-even skin and would like to even it out. Doc said that the retin a is a good anti aging etc..... But I don't want to have to put a ton of different products on my face. I do enough as it is - LOL
    What about microdermabrasion sessions for that?
    Darby

Hydroquinone is the best ingredient for lightening discolorations or age spots. It can be used in combination with Retin-A. Here's another useful article from Paula.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=157

I would try one of these before getting microdermabrasion, myself, but you may feel differently.
    mostly I'm looking for something for hyperpigmentation or is that hypo??
    I have sun related spots (dark ones). I've had a few spots that had to be frozen off by a derm. dr. that were pre-cancerous. I just have un-even skin and would like to even it out. Doc said that the retin a is a good anti aging etc..... But I don't want to have to put a ton of different products on my face. I do enough as it is - LOL
    What about microdermabrasion sessions for that?

Vitamin C is good for hyperpigmentation. So is Retin-A. Any of the acids help too...AHA and BHA. Kojic acid is a newer ingredient that is useful also. Using a combination of these types of products can accelerate the treatment of age spots. Of course, you have to use a good sunscreen, or else age spots will come right back.
  • LongcurlsLongcurls Posts: 23Registered Users
    The retin a is great I get it from my dermatologist but I can't use it on the sides of my nose it burns the skin. I don't use it everyday though really as needed. I just turned 50 & I have never used foundation just blush, I think my skin looks good. It definately evens out the skin pigmentation I had bad sun damage on my cheeks all even now.
    3A or B with an underlay of 2B.Matrix Curl Life Shampoo,Curl Life Extra Intense Conditioner,Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Sculpting Foam,John Freida Downplay Volume Reducer
    Longcurls wrote:
    The retin a is great I get it from my dermatologist but I can't use it on the sides of my nose it burns the skin. I don't use it everyday though really as needed. I just turned 50 & I have never used foundation just blush, I think my skin looks good. It definately evens out the skin pigmentation I had bad sun damage on my cheeks all even now.

I'm so tempted now!! Did your face peel and get all yucky at first? If so, how long did it take to regulate? I don't want to change my moisturizer and facial cleansing because I'm so happy with my aveda products.

No it didn't peel at all. The only problem I have is the sensitive area around the edge of the nose, I just don't put it there. I usually do it at night after cleansing with no moisturizer. I think it only took about 2 weeks of doing it at night to completely even out my cheeks.
    3A or B with an underlay of 2B.Matrix Curl Life Shampoo,Curl Life Extra Intense Conditioner,Paul Mitchell Medium Hold Sculpting Foam,John Freida Downplay Volume Reducer
    A couple of other suggestions to even out the pigmenatation. I sell Avon & they have several products that are awesome. But I think the best one is a product called Luminosity, I love it & a lot of my friends use it, it brightens your face & gives it a luminous glow all the while fading the spots. The others are Avon's Banishing cream skin discoloration improver & Anew alternative age treatment. They are all very inexpensive.
    which one would you suggest? And is there a site where I can go to read ingredients? I think my face does ok with just about any ingredient with the exception of castor oil and mineral oil.
    Thanks - Darby

I recommend the Luminosity it's an advanced skin brightner. Go to Avon.com & enter luminosity it will give all of the ingredients & tell you about the product. I see that it's on sale for $15. I didn't see either ingredient in it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file