Allergic to avocados?

HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
I've been wanting to incorporate avacadoes into my diet because of all it's health benefits. But whenever I eat them or even in the tiniest amount, mixed in a salad or sandwich, I vomit. This seems wierd to me.

Does anyone else have this issue. And is this considered food allergy since my face doesn't swell or anything?

Comments

• CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Yes that could be an allergy. I doubt that it's a coincidence, My Dad has a Kiwi/Avocado allergy and his eyes and throat swell. I would talk to a doctor maybe?
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • rileybrileyb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, this is what happens to me when I eat avocados - I am not sure if it can be considered a food 'allergy'... I call it that just for lack of a better explanation, but it's probably more of an intolerance.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    rileyb wrote: »
    Yes, this is what happens to me when I eat avocados - I am not sure if it can be considered a food 'allergy'... I call it that just for lack of a better explanation, but it's probably more of an intolerance.

Yeah, I am sure to vomit if I eat an avocado.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users

Yeah, an intolerance seems more accurate. Makes me mad because I like them.

Thanks ladies.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love avocados but was told to stay away from them because I a mild latex and a major kiwi allergy. The proteins in latex, avocados and kiwis are very similar and sometimes your body cannot tell the difference.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • rileybrileyb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Yeah, an intolerance seems more accurate. Makes me mad because I like them.

Thanks ladies.

Yes, me too - I love guacamole. :sad5:
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    riotkitty wrote: »
    I love avocados but was told to stay away from them because I a mild latex and a major kiwi allergy. The proteins in latex, avocados and kiwis are very similar and sometimes your body cannot tell the difference.

I didn't know that. I don't know if I have a full blown allergy, but I definitely have a latex intolerance.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    There's latex In avocados? I'm not allergic to latex, externally at least.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Not quite. Allergies are caused by reactions to proteins in substances like plants. Latex and avocados have similar proteins in them because they are related plants. Because of this, people with an avocado allergy have a chance of reacting to latex (or vice versa) because the body confuses the proteins for each other.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    *raises hand*

the nausea is TERRIBLE and it makes me itch and my skin burns like acid was poured on it.

i actually had to leave work early yesterday because of my darn allergy. i'd eaten chipotle and i can have the guacamole because they use lime juice..but i guess they didn't use enough because i was scratching up a storm and had to run home at 1am to chug benadryl.

i have a fruit allergy too and some make me want to vomit also, i.e. watermelon, or any melon. it's terrible.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    riotkitty wrote: »

Not quite. Allergies are caused by reactions to proteins in substances like plants. Latex and avocados have similar proteins in them because they are related plants. Because of this, people with an avocado allergy have a chance of reacting to latex (or vice versa) because the body confuses the proteins for each other.

And bananas

My sister developed a HORRIBLE latex allergy in adulthood. Now she can't eat bananas without severe stomach upset.

My mom has developed the same problems with bananas, and I keep telling her to watch out for possible latex reactions.

It's strange because I have extremely horribly severe ragweed allergies, and a nurse told me to watch out for watermelon. I've never liked them, nor cantaloupes. She never explained why, though.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    i think we vomit it because it's our body's way of saying GET THIS SH*T OUT OF ME I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    empressri wrote: »
    i think we vomit it because it's our body's way of saying GET THIS SH*T OUT OF ME I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I had this HORRIBLE reaction to something I ate several years ago.

I was @ work and we had a potluck. Just hot dogs, someone made a crockpot of chili for the hot dogs, chips, stuff like sweet potato pie, nothing that I've never eaten a zillion times before.

A couple hours afterwards, I was sitting at my desk and my elbow starting itching...a sharp painful itch. I was unconsciously scratching it...when I looked down and saw a welt.

Next thing I know, I'm itching all over and huge welts are popping up all over. I went to my supervisor to excuse myself to walk outside when she looked at me strangely and said, "Um, have you seen your face?" I go to the bathroom, look in the mirror and my face is magenta pink, just flaming pink, and lumpy. By this time, hives are forming on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet.

This was in a pharmacy, so the pharmacist gave me some Benadryl. My doctor's office was closed. I was going to school, so a bunch of nurses taught there. So I drive down the street to school to see what they'd say.

I stopped in the student lounge for a quick min, and my classmate is there eating a salad. I was about to open my mouth to tell her how good it looked, and immediately vomit came FLYING out of my mouth! I didn't even have that nauseous feeling, no warning. I just started puking.

I ran to the bathroom and puked my guts out. By that time 2 of the nurses got there, and examined, told me that the Benadryl was the right thing to take.

After I threw up, the hives began going down. I didn't stay for class, by the time I got home, they had gone down a great deal. I didn't vomit anymore. By the time I went to bed, they were pretty much gone.

To this day, I have no clue as to what caused me to have such a reaction. I never had an episode like that before in my LIFE, and 10+ years later I still haven't. :confused: My ragweed and pollen allergies are off the charts to the point where I attract a lot of attention when I take an allergy test, but I have never reacted like that. It was SUCH a weird experience. And reading the other posts here, I never even felt any throat scratchiness, breathing problems, nothing.

P.S. I didn't think to go to the E.R. I don't know why, I just didn't
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    It was so sad when I lived in Maine -- all that cheap, fantastically delicious lobster and I discovered I have an intolerance for it if I have very much. (I can have a little bit, like in a bisque, though.) Much more, and the results aren't pretty.

I don't have any problem resisting it away from Maine -- lobster anywhere else just doesn't cut it. I never even liked it. But Maine lobster? Right out of the Gulf of Maine? Lord, it's nectar of the gods. Sigh.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • kat180kat180 Curl Novice Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Ewww consider it a blessing lol. Avocados are nasty! lol

But I get stomach pains when I eat bananas- my parents don't believe me though which irritates the hell out of me. I always wondered why that happened...
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Avocados and bananas are both migraine triggers for me. I have to eat them in moderation.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file