Decorating gurus: long complicated color scheme question - UPDATED

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,211Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hello everyone! It's so nice to read your responses even though I figured out what to do. It was a color scheme question.

I'm sort of treading water and afraid of drowning because I feel like I don't know anything. Confusion!

For example, I just got a quote that it will be $5,000 to paint and plaster my apartment. $5000! I nearly fainted. But from the research I'm doing that is not outlandish to fix up an NYC apartment when the walls are horrendous. Water damage and crumbling plaster. I painted the last 2 times myself but can't do it again.

Any NYC folks care to weigh in? $5000 to PAINT? Man, we are in the wrong professions!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,732Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    awwwww..... so... tell us, what are you doing?

:D

(says the lady who's house is all red and orange!)
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh man, I got excited when I saw the thread title! I suck at decorating, but I'm still interested in it! lol

Glad you figured it out, whatever it was. :toothy10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote: »
    awwwww..... so... tell us, what are you doing?

(says the lady who's house is all red and orange!)

Rou, did you ever post pics anywhere of your decorating/color scheme? I love decorating, and I love color, but I don't often feel confident enough to select a bold choice on my own.

But I see things in other people's houses that I want, and then I can move ahead. I just can't picture things well in my mind's eye.
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, rou, we need pics! :protest:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

no, i haven't. but that's because everything is going so slow due to the problems with my hands....
    My blog:

Sorry to hear that, Rou. I hope your hands feel better soon.

I also hope you took before pics. We totally redid our first apartment we I got married, and I always regretted that we didn't think to get the before photos -- 'cause it was a mess!

Also you can use them if you ever want to sell your house. I once bought a remodeled Victorian, and it was very interesting when the owner showed me (and eventually gave me) the old photos. He also had pictures of the work in progress. It made me appreciate the amount of work that had gone into the house, as well as verified that certain things had indeed been redone -- not just covered up (like wiring and plumbing!).
    "Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,211Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The update (and a question) are at the beginning of this thread. Egg on my face. :goofy:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    HOLY COW!!! FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS! Have mercy, shop around a little bit. Maybe some NYC curlies can chime in on that price point for the work done.

I'm gonna go put my eyeballs back in my head. :shock:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Thanks Spring. I'm still having trouble catching my breath. I mean whaaatt???

For $5,000 I can build an apt. Thanks for the input.
    No way....hell, I'll come over and paint for half that! :toothy10:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

And you'd make me laugh too. I could just lie on the carpet and watch you paint and giggle at your comments. Best therapy in the world.
    :oops: :notworthy:
    0004.gif

Although I would certainly get more estimates, it might not be that unreasonable if there is a lot of damage. You mentioned crumbling plaster, etc. -- that's a lot more than an average paint job.

I don't remember the exact figure now, because I never got the work done before I moved, but I had a bath and bedroom in a small midwestern town that I wanted painted. It had high ceilings (house build in 1895), and the complicating factor was that previous owners had painted over the wallpaper. So to do it right, we'd have had to remove all the old paper, do whatever prep the walls needed, and then paint.

The figure was well over $1,000, I remember that. Maybe closer to $2500. I remember my eyeballs fell out, too!

Ah Fig Jam. The voice of reason and experience. Unfortunately, I am beginning to think you are right. I have been doing some research and it does seem, because of the extensive prep work involved, that maybe $5,000 (gasp, pant, pant) is not the totally outrageous price I first thought.

I should live in an igloo.
    don't do an igloo... they have to be rebuilt every year!

what about getting the plaster fixed and having a painting party?

after 2 years of home ownership, i've become a bit of an expert on painting and there's lots of DIY advice out there!
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote: »
    don't do an igloo... they have to be rebuilt every year!

what about getting the plaster fixed and having a painting party?

after 2 years of home ownership, i've become a bit of an expert on painting and there's lots of DIY advice out there!

They have to be rebuilt every year? I didn't realize that. Phooey. Ixnay on the Igloo. I just thought I would save not having to buy an air conditioner.

I painted twice. I actually enjoyed it. Stirring the beautiful thick paint - so sensual. I do have friends who would join a painting party. But there's extremely heavy furniture to move (an armoire, a huge chest) and other considerations. What a fun idea though.
    If I lived closer I'd SO be there! I love painting, as long as I don't have to cut in. I'm a roller girl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring1onu wrote: »
    If I lived closer I'd SO be there! I love painting, as long as I don't have to cut in. I'm a roller girl.

It wouldn't be a party without you.

Swish, Swish, Swoop (or whatever sound the roller makes). :toothy10:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,715Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I would do the cutting in. When do we start?

$5000 is crazy to paint a house (unless it's a giant zillion square foot house).
    My first house cost $8000. Yea, that was 30 years ago but still.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I've seen shows (I watch WAY too much HGTV and DIY network) where plaster was repaired and it is pretty labor intensive. In some instances it was so crumbly it was more cost effective to drywall, but in an old home it would be sad not to save it.

But still, $5k! eeeek!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would do the cutting in. When do we start?

$5000 is crazy to paint a house (unless it's a giant zillion square foot house).
    My first house cost $8000. Yea, that was 30 years ago but still.

It's not even a house. It's an apartment. But this is New York City - Manhattan. Prime real estate. Ridiculous anyway. I still cannot BELIEVE this. I have to try to find a better deal.
    spring1onu wrote: »
    I've seen shows (I watch WAY too much HGTV and DIY network) where plaster was repaired and it is pretty labor intensive. In some instances it was so crumbly it was more cost effective to drywall, but in an old home it would be sad not to save it.

But still, $5k! eeeek!

+1 (screaming and groaning). Seriously. This ain't the Mona Lisa. I don't want anything fancy. No special effects, no faux anything, no mottling, no sponging etc. Just paint. GGGRRRRR. :angryfire:
    Your paint job is only as good as your prep, which is where all the work is (and should be) even in a relatively simple project.

I've always heard that you should spend at least twice as much time and money on properly preparing the surface. Otherwise it's like putting makeup on a dirty face.

When I had my house exterior painted, they did a fantastic job (pricey, too!). They spent forever cleaning, scraping, repairing, etc. -- showed me each step of the way -- after all that, the actual painting went very quickly. I think they spent only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time actually painting.

Thanks for your input, Fig Jam. It may be that the price is reasonable. The walls are in awful shape. There has been considerable water damage and it's been 13 years. I never waited so long before between painting (I did it myself) but life intervened (LOL).

One question: if a contract is written and a price set, can the painter then charge any more? I realize in most cases a contract is a contract, but I just don't want any "hidden" fees. I am clueless in this regard since I've never done this before.

I appreciate getting this help from everyone.
    First, ask lots of questions. I would ask them to put, in writing, specifically the work that is to be done and what it is for, in the estimate. What is necessary to repair the water damage, the crumbling plaster, will there be extra coats necessary to cover previous color, does this include closet interiors, ceiling, etc.

Before hiring any contractor, ask for photos of previous work, references, call the BBB to see if there have been any complaints. The ideal situation is when someone you know has hired them before and was satisfied with their work.

You can also put in the agreement that if any unanticipated expense in excess of a certain dollar amount (whatever you choose) arises, they must contact you and come to an agreement about that before proceeding.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to get more than one estimate.

Good luck! Paint can transform a place!

Such excellent advice. I'll do all this. While I'm confident about picking out what furniture I like, I'm nervous about this whole paint/plaster job. They want me out of the house for an entire week. I'll have to stay at a hotel, which is another big expense.

Thanks FJ.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Fig gave great advice. Prep is extremely important and I don't think $5,000 sounds terribly expensive if your walls are as damaged as you say.

What was the source of the water damage? Is the problem fixed? It's possible that your homeowner's insurance might pay for the repair/prep/repaint...you might want to call them.
    I live in an apt. so I don't have any homeowner's insurance. Periodically, there is a leak in my apt. or the apt. above me and the building people come and break the walls and it's a big mess with water trickling and sometimes gushing and plaster and dust. It happens because the pipes freeze in winter and burst.
    It's an old building with some very good features (like I don't pay for heat/electricity). I just have to suck it up because I still have a very good deal.

I'm slowly getting used to the idea of the $5,000. Verry sloowwwlly. :nike:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I live in an apt. so I don't have any homeowner's insurance. Periodically, there is a leak in my apt. or the apt. above me and the building people come and break the walls and it's a big mess with water trickling and sometimes gushing and plaster and dust. It happens because the pipes freeze in winter and burst.
    It's an old building with some very good features (like I don't pay for heat/electricity). I just have to suck it up because I still have a very good deal.

I'm slowly getting used to the idea of the $5,000. Verry sloowwwlly. :nike:

Do you own the apartment? Or rent?

I think everyone should have home insurance, whether it's renter's insurance or homeowners. Someone has to own those walls, and plumbing leak damage repair would be covered under owner/rent insurance.
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Posts: 579Registered Users
    Is that $5000 to paint AND plaster? If so, that actually doesn't sound bad.

I'm not a decorator, but I have multiple degrees in historic preservation. Subsidiary to that, I've got some modicum of experience with historic finishes and interiors -- plaster included. Plaster is *quite* labor intensive. It's actually a 3 step process: a key or scratch coat, which must then be texturized so that the next coat (brown coat) can be applied, topped with a finish coat which requires some degree of artistry to apply and level.

So while $5k would be astronomical for a paint job, the preponderance of that charge is probably weighted toward the plaster work -- whether it's a full re-plaster or just extensive patchwork. If it's patchwork, too, it can almost be more difficult, because you have to keep the 3 coats relatively close to the original finish in order to give the best final appearance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file