We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes

Learn more!

How to keep braidouts at night?

SassyCurls123SassyCurls123 Posts: 92Registered Users
I am having a difficult time deciding how to keep my hair at night for braidouts/ twistouts.

I have tried the pinaple method, and it kept my curl definition well. But when i took it down it kind of stayed half up and down in the front only :mad:
when i add water or conditioner it it gets fuzzy because my hair isn't as curly there

So any ideas would help :flower:

My hairs shoulder length if that helps
:jocolor:I have been natural all my life :jocolor:

And i am just starting to know my 3c/4a hair better :wav:

Shampoo- Pantene Dry to moisturized
Conditioner/ Leave in/ - Aussie Moist/Garnier Fructis leave in LOVE THEM!

Sealants: Indian Hemp

Comments

• Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    Depends on how you sleep....if your a delicate sleeper with minimal pillow wrestling then I would suggest maybe just sleeping in a satin bonnet?

I like to re-twist/braid my hair in big loose sections to keep some of the definition. In the morning when I take the braids/twists down I usually spray my hair with a lil water and coat my finger tips in jojoba oil.

hth
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FNicky791%2Fabout%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FNicky791" class="Popup
  • SassyCurls123SassyCurls123 Posts: 92Registered Users
    Nicky791 wrote: »
    Depends on how you sleep....if your a delicate sleeper with minimal pillow wrestling then I would suggest maybe just sleeping in a satin bonnet?

I like to re-twist/braid my hair in big loose sections to keep some of the definition. In the morning when I take the braids/twists down I usually spray my hair with a lil water and coat my finger tips in jojoba oil.

hth

I'm a delicate sleeper

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    I usually secure the hair closest to the scalp down with clips then rebraid the hair in large twist and put on a fitted satin cap and wrap type scarf to keep the hair close to my scalp to reduce the boof effect. lol

Weird but it works for me.
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    i either pineapple.. this works you just have to fluff and finger style ALOT to get it to look right (i know what you mean by it staying) also do a very loose ponytail. It comes out differently every time though lol, sometimes it stretches out my root curls too much !

so lately ive been taking a big square scarf, fold it in half (actually, allow one end to hang lower than the other) & tie it around my head allowing it to drape over the entire length of my hair (kind of like a bonnet).. in the morning its squished but very easily fluffs out.

a satin bonnet straight up is too constricting, my curls are all wacky the next day.. but the looser wrap from the scarf works fine!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • sobecurlsobecurl Posts: 313Registered Users
    I'm a horrible sleeper so I usually have to rebraid to some extent - usually bigger plaits and then tie it down with a scarf or bonnet. Not to mention the humidity here makes it hard for me to maintain definition after a day of it being out.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
  • freecurlfreecurl Posts: 281Registered Users
    I always rebraid my hair at night. I spritz with water and apply conditioner. Then I either bantu knot the braid or pin them up. I always sleep with satin cap AND on a satin pillowcase. I like to have definition with braid outs. After a few days of this, my hair becomes even more stretched out.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I also tried pineappling and it didn't work for me. It turned into an undefined mess when I took it down the next day. I also have to rebraid or retwist. I usually just do bigger plaits, about 9 at the most. I'll spritz my hair with my water and Wonder 8 oil mixture, then retwist/rebraid, then the next morning, I'll coat my fingers with olive or jojoba oil then take them down.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    I have fine 4a hair which tends to flatten on top and hang but not in a good way. I do something that I call a Pineapple Grove. I can get my hair into one pineapple but when I take it down my curls have stretched too much and I lose most of my curl definition. I started putting my hair in 5 ponytails with the curly ends out and then putting on my satin cap. It works like a charm! I finger part my hair with a pony on top of my head, one on each side and two in the back. In the morning I fluff out parts by placing my fingers at the roots, on my scalp and massage/fluff. I get a full head of curls and lots of volume. I got 4 day hair out of this method this week. :smilebox: Each night, after putting it in the pineapple ponies, I spray the ends with glycerin and water and then seal with a little castor oil/EVOO mix. hth
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • MsCurl83MsCurl83 Posts: 289Registered Users
    I know my twist out won't last if I don't retwist the hair, bc eventually the humidity will attack my hair and take away the curls!! So I just retwist and moisturize. Might I add, that I'm using QB BRBC, AOHC OHHB - which has made my hair softer and brought out my natural color- more vibrant!! no other product has done such a thing!!! 2 good hair days in a row, is a feat for me!! Love QB - qhemet Biologics aka Queen's beauty!!
    "My hair is a reflection of my personality:
    wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
    Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
    BSL now
    As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
    Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
    Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

• NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    I have fine 4a hair which tends to flatten on top and hang but not in a good way. I do something that I call a Pineapple Grove. I can get my hair into one pineapple but when I take it down my curls have stretched too much and I lose most of my curl definition. I started putting my hair in 5 ponytails with the curly ends out and then putting on my satin cap. It works like a charm! I finger part my hair with a pony on top of my head, one on each side and two in the back. In the morning I fluff out parts by placing my fingers at the roots, on my scalp and massage/fluff. I get a full head of curls and lots of volume. I got 4 day hair out of this method this week. :smilebox: Each night, after putting it in the pineapple ponies, I spray the ends with glycerin and water and then seal with a little castor oil/EVOO mix. hth

I do exactly this. I find that if I braid every night the pattern I get from the initial braidout changes, and by the 3rd day it is too straight, almost like crimped relaxed hair. I hate that. And my hair also gets too stretched if I do just one pineapple, so I do 2 (used to do 3 or 4 when my hair was shorter) then cover with a bonnet or loose scarf.

I spend half my time in humid west Africa, but even then I find that if I use a product with hold when I do the initial braidout, like Jane Carter Wrap & Roll, or Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, I don't lose much definition. It gets a bit bigger, fluffier and less defined as the days go on, but in a way that I like.

I moisturise with a cream (QBBRB) because I find that wetting my hair loose, even with a spray leave in, just makes it revert to a fro really quickly.
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far

P.S: I love the expression "Pineapple Grove". I'm going to adopt that!

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
    NoodleNaps wrote: »

I do exactly this. I find that if I braid every night the pattern I get from the initial braidout changes, and by the 3rd day it is too straight, almost like crimped relaxed hair. I hate that. And my hair also gets too stretched if I do just one pineapple, so I do 2 (used to do 3 or 4 when my hair was shorter) then cover with a bonnet or loose scarf.

I spend half my time in humid west Africa, but even then I find that if I use a product with hold when I do the initial braidout, like Jane Carter Wrap & Roll, or Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, I don't lose much definition. It gets a bit bigger, fluffier and less defined as the days go on, but in a way that I like.

I moisturise with a cream (QBBRB) because I find that wetting my hair loose, even with a spray leave in, just makes it revert to a fro really quickly.

Noodle, I'm going to have to try the KMFUMG. The gels that I use are Ecostyler and Long Aid Activator Gel. I love both of them but they can leave the hair tacky feeling sometime. I do use the QBBRB as well as the QBAOHC but I only use them during the winter. They are too heavy for me in the summer (North Carolina Summers are brutal! :roll:). Also since my hair strands are fine, I found that if I stop using a leave in, I get more volume. I might try watering down the Giovanni that I have or the KBB. I love the way that both makes my hair feel (so soft) but I get flat hair with them. I love the look of your hair in your avatar. Mine is a little past shoulder length stretched but my shrinkage is on steroids! :toothy10: The pineapple groves allows me to show more length and still keep my curls. :love3:
    BC'ed - Jan 09

P.S: I love the expression "Pineapple Grove". I'm going to adopt that!

:laughing8:
    BC'ed - Jan 09

I usually secure the hair closest to the scalp down with clips then rebraid the hair in large twist and put on a fitted satin cap and wrap type scarf to keep the hair close to my scalp to reduce the boof effect. lol

Weird but it works for me.

I I think i'm going to secure some parts of my hair with bobby pins . Thanks for the idea :happy11:

Noodle, I'm going to have to try the KMFUMG. The gels that I use are Ecostyler and Long Aid Activator Gel. I love both of them but they can leave the hair tacky feeling sometime. I do use the QBBRB as well as the QBAOHC but I only use them during the winter. They are too heavy for me in the summer (North Carolina Summers are brutal! :roll:). Also since my hair strands are fine, I found that if I stop using a leave in, I get more volume. I might try watering down the Giovanni that I have or the KBB. I love the way that both makes my hair feel (so soft) but I get flat hair with them. I love the look of your hair in your avatar. Mine is a little past shoulder length stretched but my shrinkage is on steroids! :toothy10: The pineapple groves allows me to show more length and still keep my curls. :love3:

Thanks, the picture was taken earlier in the year, I've really got to update it. Those were actually twists, but speaking of shrinkage thats what my then- APL hair would shrink down to, even when in twists! Lol

SassyCurls, let us know what method works out for you!

Thank you everybody for all the ideas! :happy7:

I rebraided my hair into 8-10 braids and undid it this morning. So far, i am having good curl definition. From now on i'm going to rebraid it or retwist it:wav:

• swishtutswishtut Posts: 30Registered Users
    Reeky wrote: »
    i either pineapple.. this works you just have to fluff and finger style ALOT to get it to look right (i know what you mean by it staying) also do a very loose ponytail. It comes out differently every time though lol, sometimes it stretches out my root curls too much !

so lately ive been taking a big square scarf, fold it in half (actually, allow one end to hang lower than the other) & tie it around my head allowing it to drape over the entire length of my hair (kind of like a bonnet).. in the morning its squished but very easily fluffs out.

a satin bonnet straight up is too constricting, my curls are all wacky the next day.. but the looser wrap from the scarf works fine!

Reeky- I was thinking about using a scarf because the satin bonnet doesn't work for me in the back. Right in the center I wake up with fuzz. I thought if I tied the curls down, and then fluffed in the morning that might work. Can you please explain how you tie your scarf a littme more. You fold it in a rectangle? and do you tie it in the front or back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file