I need a REAL lip moisturizer!

NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
No balms, no matter how they're marketed, really work for me. They don't do anything to help get rid of the dryness; they just coat it for a little while. Carmex doesn't work, Aquafor doesn't work, nothing I have ever tried that is supposed to keep lips moisturized works for longer than it is actually on. This has been a problem since I moved from NYC to CO, where the climate is semi-arid. I drink a LOT of water, and I have to constantly reapply lip gloss, balm, or lipstick, because within 15 minutes of them wearing off, my lips begin to feel dry, begin to hurt, and the edges around them turn red and chapped.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this so I don't have to fight so hard to keep my poor lips happy?
"...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg

Comments

• kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    I would slather them in jojoba or grapeseed oils when I slept....

I'm a total lip balm junkie, and the best one I've found is the Nivea Kiss of Moisture in the dark blue tube.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    In the winter, I would use vitamin E oil at night. My favorite lip balm is, strangely, by a beer company:
    http://shop.newbelgium.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M20-10000-1008&Category_Code=OS

It soothes my lips more than any other lip balm out there.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My lips were dry, peeling, and nothing was helping. I had these little dry indentation marks that would show up more with lipstick over them. They would not go away no matter what creams I used or how gently I exfoliated.

I got a sample of the Lip/Eye Cream from Bee Yummy (www.live-live.com) and it worked great. I was so skeptical, but I put this on every night before bed and it was soothing, moisturizing and most of all -- healing. See if you can get the sample from them -- it lasted me around a month! Then I ordered the full size tub. It's expensive, but it will last (I only use it on lips) and if it works, count me in!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Lanolin. It's what nursing mothers use for sore nipples. Nothing works better. Look for it in any drugstore in the baby-item aisle. Lansinoh is one brand. It's purefied pharmaceutical grade pure lanolin. A tiny bit will last hours and hours on the lips.
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I agree with solidgold on the Vitamin E. I get the kind that comes in a rollerball type bottle...I found some at Whole Foods recently. It's just like using a lip balm or gloss. I find that my lips seem to absorb this stuff right up! I, as well, slather on a really thick layer before bed.
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Are you using a different brand of toothpaste than you used to use? Apparently that can cause dry lips, so you might try switching.

Have you tried Blistex cream - not the pomade? My dentist said the problem with vaseline, Aquaphor etc. is that they just sit on top of the lips. Supposedly, Blistex penetrates.

If it's really bad, you could try a VERY thin film of cortizone ointment for one night, not the cream which is too easily rubbed off, as long as you won't lick it off.

Also, many lipsticks with shimmer or glitter in them irritate lips and lip pencils matte or otherwise irritate lips. Can you give your lips a break for a day or two and not wear any cosmetic on them and let them heal? HTH
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Jojoba wax is awesome. If you can find a lip balm with it in there is always does wonders. I buy jojoba wax and mix it with other stuff.
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    Thanks, everyone. No, it isn't a new thing. It's been this way since I moved to CO from NYC, so over 9 years. I think it's a matter of the dry air. It sucks the moisture out of everything.

I will definitely look into your suggestions. It's beyond annoying!
    Lanolin. It's what nursing mothers use for sore nipples. Nothing works better. Look for it in any drugstore in the baby-item aisle. Lansinoh is one brand. It's purefied pharmaceutical grade pure lanolin. A tiny bit will last hours and hours on the lips.
    OMG. I completely forgot about Lansinoh. I nursed for almost 3 years straight (had a 4 month break in between kids while pregnant) and always had it on hand. That's the first thing I'm going to run out and pick up tomorrow. :)
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • amt949amt949 Posts: 56Registered Users
    I'm the same way. No lip balm or chap stick works for me. So I carry around a travel sized tub of Vaseline. It ALWAYS works for me!

PS I used to be embarassed by by tub of Vaseline but then I saw other girls pulling it out of their purses. Seems we aren't alone!
    Phoenix AZ Curly!!
    Curl Type: (3aMii) 3a/Fine-Medium Texture/Normal Porosity/Medium Elasticity/BSL
    Co-Wash: Suave Strawberry, VO5 Strawberries n Creme
    Conditioning: Mirra Smoothing, GVP Conditioning Balm, Samy e-sen-cia Mandarin Citrus, GFTN, Mill Creek Aloe
    LI: Lustrasilk Shea Mango, LOOC
    Styling: BRHG, AG re:coil, SSCJ, LOOB, JC N&S
    DT/PT: PM Super Strong, SS DDM, Coconut Oil, EVOO, Lustrasilk, Nexxus Emergencee, Hask Henna 'n' Placenta
    CG since 11/03/09:sunny:
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    amt949 wrote: »
    PS I used to be embarassed by by tub of Vaseline but then I saw other girls pulling it out of their purses. Seems we aren't alone!
    You could buy a little tin of petrolatum-based lip balm. There are plenty of very pretty ones out there. Urban Outfitters sells a lot.

Perfumeria Gal's tins are very pretty.
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    You can also buy little squeezy tubes of vaseline.....In target they're in the section with the travel-sized shampoos and such. They also have some that are flavored in the tubes.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 938Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kenzie! wrote: »
    I would slather them in jojoba or grapeseed oils when I slept....

I'm a total lip balm junkie, and the best one I've found is the Nivea Kiss of Moisture in the dark blue tube.

Hey Kenzie! Thanks for mentioning the Nivea! I've tried the regular Kiss of Moisture in the the dark blue tube and the spf 4 one in the light blue tube and both are great!

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
  • sharon5152sharon5152 Posts: 207Registered Users
    I agree with the Vitamin E, sleeping with it on your lips overnight; I have fallen in love with Aubrey Organics' vanilla & honey lip balm and swear by it!
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

http://public.fotki.com/sharon5152/
  • curleemarinacurleemarina Posts: 1Registered Users
    If you are using products like Carmex, Blistex etc., those products tend to be 'medicated', as a result, your lips can become dependent on the product (when you stop using the product your body reacts in the opposite way that the ingredients provide before returning to your normal state).
    Try Burt Bees lip balm, in a tube, the regular one, that containes peppermint oil, (not the 'honey' one or shines, or tinted ones). The peppermint oil gives a menthol feel which may help soothe and help you transition off of the dependent causing lip balms. Another benefit is that Burt Bees is beeswax based, very smooth, and DOES NOT contain petroleum which has been linked to cancer.
    When Burt Bees wears off of my lips, my lips feel great, but when I was using 'medicated' balms, my lips would feel dry and terrible when the balms would wear off.
    I hope this helps!
    Marina
    Marina

Hair type: 3C, fine, lots of hair
    Shampoo: Organic Excellence, Burt Bees Baby Bees Shampoo and Wash, homemade solution of apple cider vinegar and water
    Conditioner: Organic Excellence, Aveda, edible grade aloe vera juice
    Leave in products: Organic Excellence conditioner, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, jojoba oil, coconut oil.
    Styling tools: medium toothed comb, Denman brush
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Posts: 579Registered Users
    It's actually the petroleum that's the problem in balms like Carmex. Petroleum is a fantastic barrier / protectant. The problem, however, is that applying it regularly causes your skin to react in the opposite-of-desired fashion. Since it's being protected/moisturized by petroleum-based balms, it readjusts it's own lubrication. Essentially, the underlying skin becomes drier. This is why people develop lip balm dependency. :)

Try a non-petroleum product -- like Burts Bees. I have personally found life to be unlivable without Kuumba Made Herbal Lip Balm and Karite Shea lip balm (can get both at local organic/health foods market). Both legitimately moisturize your lips, rather than just forming a barrier over them.
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Ouch, chapped lips are awful. The oils are a good idea. If you're ever looking for a stick balm, ELF has a product called Super Moisturizing Balm that works pretty well. I live in a really dry climate, too, and other brands don't last at all.

You need to make sure your lips are exfoliated and smooth before you apply the ELF balm, but it absorbs into your lips and stays on for hours. I've had it on today since 8 a.m., it's over three hours later and my lips are still soft despite drinking coffee, water and eating a granola bar and fruit cup. I generally don't need to reapply until sometime in the afternoon.

ELF is sold at some Targets... there's a store locator at eyeslipsface.com.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    RCW, thanks for recommending lanolin. I got some of that Lansinoh from the baby aisle in the food store. That stuff is awesome - and really lasts!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Shea butter - unrefined pure shea butter is wonderful for dealing with dry lips. Just a tiny bit is sufficient, and it also leaves a beautiful glow.
    It works very well even during the dry winter months. Since I discovered shea butter, I've stopped using lip balms.
  • CurlFaceCurlFace Posts: 176Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A few months back when I was sick, my lips got so dry they hurt. I used Neosporin on them. I figured maybe it would help with the tiny cuts and splits I had in them. Though I think Neosporin has petroleum in it, too. I heard once that you should also stay away from minty lip balms because they tend to be drying. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I heard!
    Type: 3a - type 1 on the underside. Thinning.
    :glasses11:
    Currently using:
    -Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo (occasionally)
    -Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner
    -Suave Waterfall Mist Conditioner or Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific as leave-in
    -A mix of Shique Gel and HE Totally Twisted mousse
    -FX Curls Up Mousse, on occasion

• Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    Burts Bees is awesome.... Love the tingle and texture.

If your lips are that dry you may be want to look at trying the Kinerase lip treatment, expensive but well worth the cost.

Petroleum products are for cars get that require lube jobs, grease the bearings, squeaky doors and to fill the tank...

According to my dermatologist using vitamin e oil on a regular daily basis can cause thinning of the skin and the underlying connective tissue.
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't use any petroleum based lip balms or I get the same problems as you (I live in Calgary, also semi-arid) I find that most of the truly natural lip balms work well for me - Burt's Bees, Aubrey Organics, Hugo etc.
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Has anyone suggested Dr. Hauschka?

http://store.drhauschka.com/b2c/ecom/ecomEnduser/items/itemDetail.aspx?&page=&store=&itemNum=LCS&siteId=1&bulkexists=0

I haven't tried the rest of the line (um, not cheap) but I do like the lip stuff.
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    Burts Bees is great and natural, and not medicated which can cause dependence or something that just adds fake coating of moister.
  • mkemke Posts: 6Registered Users
    I had the same problem. My HG lip product is Smooth and Full Black Label Lip Treatment from Silk Naturals.

I have one in my night stand, one in my bathroom, one at my desk at work, and one to carry around in my purse... I'm obsessed. It keeps my lips perfectly moisturized without being sticky or too slippery, and it doesn't wear off quickly (although I constantly reapply because I love the stuff). It's got nice ingredients without any of the nasties you'll find in most drugstore/medicated products:
    Ingredients: Certified Organic Castor, Jojoba, and Avocado oils, Shea Butter, Passionfruit, Cranberry and Camellia Oils, Dipalmitoyl hydroxyproline,Apricot Wax, Beeswax, Candelilla Wax, Carnuaba Wax, Natural Vanilla Infused coconut oil.

Plus it really does make your lips look full and super sexy! Incredible. And it's less than $6. LOVE this product.
    fine texture / low elasticity / high density / low porosity
  • mimikomimiko Posts: 120Registered Users
    The only product that works to cure my big dry/chapped lips is any lip plumper gloss. I used to ALWAYS have chapped lips all the time, I wouldn't wear lipstick because it looks horrible on chapped lips, and once in awhile if I was super consistent with lip balms or gloss my lips wouldn't chap but as soon as I stopped they would chap like crazy.

I have no idea why lip plumpers work for chapped lips but it's worked miracles on mine. I use bare escentuals buxom gloss :)
    3a/3b Protein sensitive
    Lo-Poo: MOP-C Hydration
    Co-wash TJ's tea tree, suave
    Conditioners: Yes to Cucumbers, TIGI Moisture Maniac
    DT:Ion reconstructor
    Leave-in: Giovanni DLI, Any of my other conditioners.
    Stylers: FSG!, Curl Keeper, HETT mousse, CJ CIAB, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, L'oreal Studio Silky Curls Gel, Deva Set it Free
    I diffuse and use CHS roller jaw clips
    I'm full Chinese and I never knew how to control my unruly hair until now! I <3 this website oh so very much.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file