Nyc Meet Up!

Comments

• MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,568Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Nubiancoils! I was just thinking about how we talked about having a meetup in April and was wondering where the thread was! Idk how I missed this! Anyway, you know I'll be there. Not really into the swappy swap lol b/c of my last experience. But I will bring the things I would throw out otherwise. Ya never know what somebody might be able to use. The midtown restaurant works for me. I'm not one for African food but its walking distance to my house and as always, I'm going for the hair, not the food!

Girl whatup!!! It would not be the same without you there so I'm very happy you're coming.:blob3:

And remember, your last swap experience wasn't with the NC women so it might be much better this time. At the last NC meeting my swapping experience was great! I even got two products that are now in my rotation (Qhemet soft gel and KBB hair butter).

And I bet you $5 you'll LOVE Braai. It's South African and very delicious. Check out their website and menu. I also thought of this place because on a weekend it seems like it would be really easy to book and we'd prettymuch have the place to ourselves because they really only get busy during dinner.

BUT if you lovely ladies have a better selection or another restaurant, please say so! We'll put it up to a vote and I'll make reservations where the majority of us decide.:alien:

You're absolutely right. I will give meetup swapping another chance lol. And I'm def open to trying the food. Ya never know, right? I can't wait to see how much your hair has grown! :blob4:
    comic-p.jpg
  • bellepaysbellepays Posts: 38Registered Users
    So it sounds like May might be best for everyone. How does Saturday, May 8 sound to everyone? Say 2pm? The only reason I say 2pm is cause we said 1:30pm last time and almost everyone came a little after 2.:laughing8:

Also, has anyone ever heard of Braai? It's a South African restaurant and the food is really good. It's in midtown on 51st street....And on the weekends it's pretty much dead so there would be no problem with seating...just throwing that out there. Let me know what you guys think about the date and time!

=) can we bring our permd friends to show them the good side lol

I def see the benefits of transitioning friends/people/members coming. I don't know about bringing permed friends who have not even expressed an interest in embracing their coils. We would probly just get on their nerves. bring yourself! we wont bite :-D
    4a/3c Product Junkie here!

Holy Grail - KCCC of course :blob7:

Really interested in more natural products but don't really like to mix them myself.

I think my hair LOVES oil but need to use them more.

Have done a Henna treatment once and am hoping to do another one soon.
  • vangreyvangrey Posts: 40Registered Users
    I'm in...

Got this from the "Thank God I'm Natural" Website
    http://thankgodimnatural.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/tgin-will-sponsor-your-summer-natural-hair-meet-up/

If you would like for TGIN to sponsor you natural hair meet up this summer and expect more than 10 naturals to attend, please email us at [email protected] with the following information:
    • Date
    • Time
    • # of RSVPs to Date
    • Link to the site (facebook/twitter) advertising the meet-up
    • How the event is being advertised
    • Information about past events or whether this is your first event
    If your event fits in with our marketing plan, we’ll send you some goodies to give away to your fellow naturals. We only ask that you pay for the shipping costs. We are all about helping black women to live longer, healthier lives and to the extent we can support your efforts, we are gladly willing to do so.

Maybe we can contact them for this meetup?
    http://www.fotki.com/vangrey
    Updated April 6, 2010

CG Method

Type: 3b
    Porous, normal elasticity, and coarse texture

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
    Styling: CJ, jojoba oil, KCCC
    DT: CJ Curl Rehab, CR Algae Deep conditioner
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    bellepays wrote: »
    So it sounds like May might be best for everyone. How does Saturday, May 8 sound to everyone? Say 2pm? The only reason I say 2pm is cause we said 1:30pm last time and almost everyone came a little after 2.:laughing8:

Also, has anyone ever heard of Braai? It's a South African restaurant and the food is really good. It's in midtown on 51st street....And on the weekends it's pretty much dead so there would be no problem with seating...just throwing that out there. Let me know what you guys think about the date and time!

=) can we bring our permd friends to show them the good side lol

I def see the benefits of transitioning friends/people/members coming. I don't know about bringing permed friends who have not even expressed an interest in embracing their coils. We would probly just get on their nerves. bring yourself! we wont bite :-D

+1:occasion7: I'm interested in meeting with lovely natural ladies and talking about how fabulous we are:afro: - a bit of a break from trying to educate or defend being natural. We had a FABULOUS time last time and there was a great turn-out (like 15 women).
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Curl Neophyte Posts: 793Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    im excited and happy to get rid of some this stuff in my closet now.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    im excited and happy to get rid of some this stuff in my closet now.

Girrrl, you and me both! The meet up is like a month away but I've already cleaned out my closet and put the stuff I want to swap/give away in a bag.:lol:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

• CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Posts: 240Registered Users
    ::gasp::
    I. Am. So. Down! :occasion7:

Thanks Nubian for holla'in at me, because I would've let this one slip right by me!

I'm not familiar with S. African food, but c'mon. I'll inhale any kind of food you put in front of me, so needless to say, the final restaurant choice is fine with me!

Oh, and I think TGIN sponsorship would be awesome. I don't know much about their line, but I'll check 'em out.

I'll be back a little later to re-confirm...
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    +1

you can count me in! I'm offically Au Naturale as of 4/4/2010! YAY, so I'd love to meet some natural vets for good advice and product recommendations!
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • SpringyCurlsSpringyCurls Posts: 41Registered Users
    Hi ladies! I'm pretty new to this site, too, and would love to join you if the invite is still open.
    Shampoo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo
    Co-Wash: V05 Tea Therapy in Blackberry Sage Tea
    Deep Conditioner: AO Honeysuckle Rose, Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Sealant: Summer - Coconut Oil, Winter - Castor & Jojoba Oil, Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade (ends)
  • NATURALLYchipmunkkNATURALLYchipmunkk Posts: 125Registered Users
    Ok so May 8th at Braii?? from 2 until the foods done or they kick us and are fros out =)
    Hair type: Some random curly fuzzy stringy stuff God planted on my head
    Deep conditioners: Homemade baby (honey, yogurt, eggs, shea butter whippd)
    Oils: Shea, Jojoba, Castor
    Vitamins: Biotin 1000 mcgs, Prenatals

event.png

Not jus' a round faced girl, but a NATURAL round faced girl
    2vdmh74.jpg
    I'm so excited!!!!:occasion7: So far I count 21 women who have said they will make it! I hope everyone can! And I checked with Braai and they have unlimited passion fruit mimosas for $8 on weekends. They also serve brunch on weekends instead of lunch. Here is the menu. http://www.braainyc.com/website/menu_brunch.html
    I've had the ostrich benedict and it was sooo good.

So let's recap - It's Saturday, May 8 at 2pm at Braai. I'm listing the ladies that have confirmed:

1 naiha1
    2 chicbutterflyluva
    3 LaFemmeBoucles
    4 Nicky791 - CONFIRMED
    5 CoilyRob's lurker - CONFIRMED
    6 MixedUpCurlyChick -CONFIRMED
    7 bellepays - CONFIRMED
    8 vangrey
    9 MrsComboCurlz - CONFIRMED
    10 curlsugar - CONFIRMED
    11 tressedforsuccess
    12 saroyag
    13 WildCurlsRaquelle - CONFIRMED
    14 LadyV69 - CONFIRMED
    15 jeweld - CONFIRMED
    16 curlytee - CONFIRMED
    17 CheveuxSauvage - CONFIRMED
    18 Springycurls - CONFIRMED
    19 adecentplayer
    20 LhoreSpencer - CONFIRMED
    21 Aptlife - CONFIRMED
    22 mixeded
    23 UnrulyLion - CONFIRMED
    24 Curlytee's Lurker - CONFIRMED
    25 CoilyRob - CONFIRMED
    26 NYCurlii
    27 whimsy - CONFIRMED
    28 Bellepay's lurker - CONFIRMED
    29 Bellepay's 2nd lurker
    30 NubianCoils - CONFIRMED
    31 AwakenedDesires
    32 Bklyn_Belle
    33 MissCurly - CONFIRMED
    34 TrinyJaNY's lurker
    35 PJ26

SO many lovely ladies!!!!:tongue3: If you don't see your name on the above list and want to come, post and let me know! Also if your name is on the list and you realize you can't come, please let me know. Like last time, I want to be able to give Braai a good estimate of how many people are coming. I don't want to reserve for 20 people and only 5 show up or reserve for 10 people and 30 show up.:scratch:

I will make the reservations on April 26. Does that sound good to everyone? By then most people should know whether they are coming or not and I'll recalculate how many people will attend. I am SO excited to see you all again and the newcomers for the first time!!!!!

Holy Grails:

• CheveuxSauvageCheveuxSauvage Posts: 240Registered Users
    Awesomeness. I'm in!
    [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]4a/3c [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]Normal porosity [FONT=&quot]Ξ [/FONT]High density [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT] Medium-Coarse [FONT=&quot]Ξ[/FONT]
    Awesomeness. I'm in!

So glad to hear it! Can't WAIT! Did I mention I'm excited??:blob4::blob4::blob4:

Holy Grails:

• curlsugarcurlsugar Posts: 240Registered Users
    unlimited passion fruit mimosas for $8?? holy s!
    i may be there early. LOL
    Natural since '03
  • adecentplayeradecentplayer Posts: 5Registered Users
    Hi all,

Please count me in!

This sounds so fun :laughing8:
  • broyalbroyal Posts: 2Registered Users
    this sounds good!!! Count me in please....
    WOW so far we have 25 people coming! This is going to be super smokin!!!:toothy10:

Holy Grails:

• naiha1naiha1 Posts: 209Registered Users
    Last time was sooo much fun. Can't wait to see you ladies again. I am excited about the restaurant, it looks really cool!
    Happy, Nappy, and Kinky 24/7!!
    4/b very coily
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I'm so down for this. Can wait:blob8:
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • LhoreSpencerLhoreSpencer Posts: 474Registered Users
    :toothy8:
    School's done for me on the 3rd and I'm off that weekend (although I work the night before). I'd love to attend this one.
    Please count me in.
    FdQlm4.png
    Falling deeper and deeper and deeper in :love4: with my beautiful mixture of springy, tight coils and super duper kinks.

*SIGH* Alas, I've come to accept my shrinkage and fairy knots :angry7:

There are no magic potions, concoctions, elixirs, or pills for hair growth, weight loss, or financial independence... so stop looking for a quick fix!!!
  • AptlifeAptlife Posts: 86Registered Users
    *raises hand* I want to come as well if there's still room. I'm actually taking my vacay in NYC that week, so I can stop by and see all the lovely naturals. :D
    WOW!! That's like 27 people so far. Are we breaking a record? Like if all of us show up won't this be the biggest NC meeting to date???:D:D

Holy Grails:

• mixededmixeded Posts: 381Registered Users
    OOOhh! I missed the last one in October and would love to join this one again! Count me in!
    Yay!!
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    i may be coming not sure yet
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • NATURALLYchipmunkkNATURALLYchipmunkk Posts: 125Registered Users
    i just found out my little cousins bday is that day so i wont b to Braii till about 4 or 5 is that 2 late will every1 be gone??
    Hair type: Some random curly fuzzy stringy stuff God planted on my head
    Deep conditioners: Homemade baby (honey, yogurt, eggs, shea butter whippd)
    Oils: Shea, Jojoba, Castor
    Vitamins: Biotin 1000 mcgs, Prenatals

event.png

Not jus' a round faced girl, but a NATURAL round faced girl
    2vdmh74.jpg
    i just found out my little cousins bday is that day so i wont b to Braii till about 4 or 5 is that 2 late will every1 be gone??

Last meeting that was about when we all started to leave (about 2 hours after it started).:sad5: Feel free to come but I'm going to take your name off the list for the reservation cause by then I'm sure quite a few people will have left and we all will have eaten so it won't impact the reservation number if you come. I'm sorry! Thank you for telling us though!

Holy Grails:

• UnrulyLionUnrulyLion Posts: 61Registered Users
    Nubian, add 1! I'm SO there. Last time was awesome :sunny:.

PS Any udpate on the TGIN sponsorship that was mentioned a couple posts back?
    http://members.fotki.com/UnrulyLion/about/ *I update this about every 2 seconds :shock:*

Type: 3c
    Texture: Fine
    Density: Medium
    Porosity: Low (my hair dries, literally, in minutes)

I love shea butter and shea butter loves me :sunny:

event.png

event.png
    UnrulyLion wrote: »
    Nubian, add 1! I'm SO there. Last time was awesome :sunny:.

PS Any udpate on the TGIN sponsorship that was mentioned a couple posts back?

Added!!

And I know I haven't done anything with the sponsorship...not sure if anyone else has.

Holy Grails:

• UnrulyLionUnrulyLion Posts: 61Registered Users
    Woohoo!

Oooh, I wasn't sure if it was something we all wanted to do, but since no one has mentioned it, I guess it isn't?

LADIES! I'm planning on BCing right before the meet-up...and I am SCARED. Any wise words?
    http://members.fotki.com/UnrulyLion/about/ *I update this about every 2 seconds :shock:*

Type: 3c
    Texture: Fine
    Density: Medium
    Porosity: Low (my hair dries, literally, in minutes)

I love shea butter and shea butter loves me :sunny:

event.png

event.png
    UnrulyLion wrote: »
    Woohoo!

Oooh, I wasn't sure if it was something we all wanted to do, but since no one has mentioned it, I guess it isn't?

LADIES! I'm planning on BCing right before the meet-up...and I am SCARED. Any wise words?

Yeah, no one has really discussed it....

Be FIERCE with it girl! When I first BC'ed I found that keeping my hair sheeny and healthy, wearing nice jewelry, clothes, etc. all helped. CONGRATULATIONS and can't wait to see you.

CORNY SUGGESTION: Last time there were less women than there are going to be this time and there were some people I didn't even get to meet cause they were on the other end of the table. What do you ladies think about going around the table (right after we all order our food) and introducing ourselves and saying our screen names so everyone can meet? Is that super corny???:rabbit:

Holy Grails:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file