Transitioner In Dire Need Of Help! Eek!

missbre1201missbre1201 Registered Users Posts: 16
Hey guys!

So heres the deal: I was wondering if any of you out there have/had this issue during your transition. My hair seems like it has a billion textures I have to cater to! :sad3:
There's the ever-reliable 3b/3c that loves everything I put in my head....then there's the indecisive 4a....and lastly there's the UNKNOWN :scratch:. This unknown hair seems to stay dry and frizzy no matter what I use, and there's even a little rough patch that seems as though it doesnt want to grow...which keeps making me postpone my BC:banghead:. Some people call it "scab hair"...I dont think that's what it is.
I've tried the ACV rinse.....[NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE]....all sorts of oils, and a crapload of Deep conditioners but I still can't seem to find one that works for all the textures swimming around on my scalp.
If anyone out there with a similar situation can recommend either a good conditioner or something else that worked for them I'd really appreciate it! B/C im a step away from slapping a relaxer in my head and curling in the fetal position:shock:
THANKS!

Comments

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Registered Users Posts: 1,166
    Hey there missbre1201, Welcome to Naturally Curly.

I didn't see you mention a leave-in conditioner, a moisturizer or an emollient oil in your regimen. The oil is used to seal in your moisture. What products are you using for moisture?
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    How much new growth do you have? You say you have multiple textures but how can you really tell if you still have relaxed hair on your head? But in anycase, if you still have relaxed hair then BOOM, you already have two textures already- which I know can be a headache. Sorry you're experiencing this but that comes with the territory. Maybe you should consider doing a BC or protective styles until you reach a length you're comfortable BC'ing at.
    Having a good moisture- protein balance seems like it would be a good idea. There's lots of good threads on that in here.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • missbre1201missbre1201 Registered Users Posts: 16
    Hi! Thanks for the warm welcome :mrgreen:

I've experimented with a few leave-ins and so far I'm liking Giovanni's Direct Leave in. Im using a homemade coconut oil/shea butter mixture that has some essential oils in it to moisturize but it seems as though my hair needs something a little bit heavier than that.
    CocoT wrote: »
    How much new growth do you have? You say you have multiple textures but how can you really tell if you still have relaxed hair on your head? But in anycase, if you still have relaxed hair then BOOM, you already have two textures already- which I know can be a headache. Sorry you're experiencing this but that comes with the territory. Maybe you should consider doing a BC or protective styles until you reach a length you're comfortable BC'ing at.
    Having a good moisture- protein balance seems like it would be a good idea. There's lots of good threads on that in here.

I've been exploring the threads and so far I'm coming across some pretty insightful things. I never considered protein as a factor so that may be something I need to look into. To answer your question, I have about 3 inches of new growth. I mostly wear my hair in bantu knots or some sort of style using flexi-rods. The majority of my hair is holding up fairly well.Its just really hard to keep those randomly dispersed dry patches moisturized for some reason!! :dontknow:
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233

I've experimented with a few leave-ins and so far I'm liking Giovanni's Direct Leave in. Im using a homemade coconut oil/shea butter mixture that has some essential oils in it to moisturize but it seems as though my hair needs something a little bit heavier than that.
    oils are not moisturizers (shea/coconut oil). Also, direct leave-in might not be enough of a moisturizer for the dry patches you have. A moisturizer is anything that is water/aloe/flax/hydrosol based usually they will be called "creams"
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • GermanCurlyGermanCurly Registered Users Posts: 123
    Hi missbre1201!
    Congrats on your transition! I started a similar thread while I was transitioning. I also have this crazy texture mix with 3b/3c-4a hair and a part that is way coarser than the rest.
    The best advice that was given to me was cowashing. I don't know if you have tried this yet?
    I can also recommend oil rinses.

Make sure that you always use "some more" on the dryer area. Some more moisturizer, some more conditioner...

You said you didn't like acv rinses...how much ACV did you use? Maybe it was too much? I use 1 tablespoon on half a liter of warm water.

Good luck!!!
    mother-tongue: German:tongue3: - sorry for the mistakes I'll make!!!
    3c/4a
    Last relaxer: August 14, 2008
    BC: July 11, 2009
    Fotki - PM for PW or leave a message in my guestbook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    Hi missbre1201!
    Congrats on your transition! I started a similar thread while I was transitioning. I also have this crazy texture mix with 3b/3c-4a hair and a part that is way coarser than the rest.
    The best advice that was given to me was cowashing. I don't know if you have tried this yet?

Make sure that you always use "some more" on the dryer area. Some more moisturizer, some more conditioner...

You said you didn't like acv rinses...how much ACV did you use? Maybe it was too much? I use 1 tablespoon on half a liter of warm water.

Good luck!!!

Hi!

Thanks for the ACV rinse tip! I think that may have been my problem (I think I used too much lol). Also, (this may be a dumb question).....what exactly is an oil rinse? && what all does it require?
    coilynapp wrote: »

oils are not moisturizers (shea/coconut oil). Also, direct leave-in might not be enough of a moisturizer for the dry patches you have. A moisturizer is anything that is water/aloe/flax/hydrosol based usually they will be called "creams"

I see you use the Qhemet Heavy Cream. I've been considering purchasing it because of the good reviews I've heard. How do you like it?
  • arkanfinearkanfine Registered Users Posts: 209
    I have some really strange textures in my hair. I JUST did my BC a week or so ago. I found out a few things so here goes:
    • I cater to the drier parts of my hair. They are more likely to be damaged, so I make sure they get special care.
    • Once you BC, your hair normally looks different than it did during transitioning. I asked this question before and was told that it would shrink more.
    • MOISTURE! MOISTURE! MOISTURE!
    • Protein has its moments! I try to avoid having too much, but there are times when it might be necessary.
    • And if you do decide to BC, be prepared for a period of time that you can be a little insecure and your hair may or may not understand what you just did. I was prepared to look crazy for a week or so. I think I like it more and more each day (if that's possible).
    IMG00105201003231449-vi.jpg
    P.S. I transitioned for 9 months with no weaves or braids. I even did a youtube showing my flat twist out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lEx_oiDT7I

My Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kutenkurly/
    Hair Type:3c/4a/4b
    LOIS:OS thick strands w/ thready texture
    Porosity:non-porous

my fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kutenkurly/

030-th.jpg
    Hi missbre1201!

Good luck!!!

Hi!

Thanks for the ACV rinse tip! I think that may have been my problem (I think I used too much lol). Also, (this may be a dumb question).....what exactly is an oil rinse? && what all does it require?
    There is currently a thread on this topic. I use EVOO. It really helps with detangling and with moisture:love5:!
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    arkanfine wrote: »
    I have some really strange textures in my hair. I JUST did my BC a week or so ago. I found out a few things so here goes:
    • I cater to the drier parts of my hair. They are more likely to be damaged, so I make sure they get special care.
    • Once you BC, your hair normally looks different than it did during transitioning. I asked this question before and was told that it would shrink more.
    • Protein has its moments! I try to avoid having too much, but there are times when it might be necessary.
    • And if you do decide to BC, be prepared for a period of time that you can be a little insecure and your hair may or may not understand what you just did. I was prepared to look crazy for a week or so. I think I like it more and more each day (if that's possible).
    P.S. I transitioned for 9 months with no weaves or braids. I even did a youtube showing my flat twist out.

:wav:Congratulations on your BC!!!
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    arkanfine wrote: »

AWW your hair looks great! Thanks for the encouragement....I was on the edge!!! lol
    Hi missbre1201!

Good luck!!!

Hi!

There is currently a thread on this topic. I use EVOO. It really helps with detangling and with moisture:love5:!
    Thanks for leading me to that thread! It definitely helps!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file