Hair care for an active girl

athl3tic14athl3tic14 Registered Users Posts: 3
I'm a pretty active girl, cross country, soccer, working out every week, etc. (not to mention gym class, bleck), and I regularly straighten my hair. I usually wash it once a week and then flat-iron it (never use chemicals), and do touch ups like every other day on my roots, but at the same time i'm getting a lot of breakage, so much I've had a noticeable difference in the length of my hair, especially in the frount, over the past year. I'm along the lines of a 3c/4a, and my hair doesn't grow very quickly AT ALL, so getting rid of my damaged ends just makes my hair shorter, and then it doesn't grow back before i have to cut it again. I'm afraid I'm going to end up with no hair at all!

Therefore, i'm thinking, since soccer season is starting soon, there's no reason to continue killing my hair when i'll just be messing it up. i'm just gonna leave my hair alone for a while and let it grow out and get healthy. i hesitate to call this "going natural" because it's not like i'm trying to tame it in any way so i can wear it out. i just wanna throw it in a bun, put on a mega headband, and chill, ya know? Plus, i'm biracal, but in the worst sense of the word as far as hair goes, and my mother's white, so she has noooo idea what to do. i started straightening my hair when i was 6 though, so now i'm in high school and quite at a loss for what to do, because i have no remembrance of what i did before. Duh, there's washing and conditioning every week, but i really want my hair to GROW, asap, and i want to accumulate as little damage as possible. Do you have any suggestions on what works as far as keeping in moisture and growing hair, as well as just general maintenance tips for an active girl?

Also, i'll be playing in a lot of mudd (like tons upon tons of it) and so products that are fairly easy to do work with, but still effective would be nice. i can do major treatments like once or twice a month, but that's it. I dont want to have to spend hours on my hair when i get home from games after i've washed out the mudd. I'll already be tired enough after dinner, chores, and homework.

please and thank you!

athl3tic14

Comments

• hamptonsfnsthamptonsfnst Registered Users Posts: 106
    Good for you for being so active. I wish I had your energy to manage work and school better. Since you're so active, protective styles are a must. No more straightening. Try buns, two or three-strand twists, french braids or cornrows. You should also cowash regularly and DT as often as you mentioned. Products that will help you are sulfate and silicone free conditioners and shampoos, leave in conditioners and oils like EVOO, EVCO, jojoba, almond, castor or shea butter. You definitely want keep your hair moist with water-base moisturizers. You can choose from braid sprays, activator sprays or creating your own mix of water, condish, and oils. Always seal you hair after applying these spritzers with any oil I mentioned.
  • coupe2coupe2 Registered Users Posts: 3
    athl3tic14 wrote: »
    I'm a pretty active girl, cross country, soccer, working out every week, etc. (not to mention gym class, bleck), and I regularly straighten my hair. I usually wash it once a week and then flat-iron it (never use chemicals), and do touch ups like every other day on my roots, but at the same time i'm getting a lot of breakage, so much I've had a noticeable difference in the length of my hair, especially in the frount, over the past year. I'm along the lines of a 3c/4a, and my hair doesn't grow very quickly AT ALL, so getting rid of my damaged ends just makes my hair shorter, and then it doesn't grow back before i have to cut it again. I'm afraid I'm going to end up with no hair at all!

Therefore, i'm thinking, since soccer season is starting soon, there's no reason to continue killing my hair when i'll just be messing it up. i'm just gonna leave my hair alone for a while and let it grow out and get healthy. i hesitate to call this "going natural" because it's not like i'm trying to tame it in any way so i can wear it out. i just wanna throw it in a bun, put on a mega headband, and chill, ya know? Plus, i'm biracal, but in the worst sense of the word as far as hair goes, and my mother's white, so she has noooo idea what to do. i started straightening my hair when i was 6 though, so now i'm in high school and quite at a loss for what to do, because i have no remembrance of what i did before. Duh, there's washing and conditioning every week, but i really want my hair to GROW, asap, and i want to accumulate as little damage as possible. Do you have any suggestions on what works as far as keeping in moisture and growing hair, as well as just general maintenance tips for an active girl?

Also, i'll be playing in a lot of mudd (like tons upon tons of it) and so products that are fairly easy to do work with, but still effective would be nice. i can do major treatments like once or twice a month, but that's it. I dont want to have to spend hours on my hair when i get home from games after i've washed out the mudd. I'll already be tired enough after dinner, chores, and homework.

please and thank you!

athl3tic14

Sweetheart,

At the bolded I got quite upset when I read this, you speak in such negative terms about your curly hair. If your mother is curly or wavy as well it is more than likely that you inherited your curly hair from both sides of the family.
    That said I'm glad that you posted this. I'm very active too and initially was at a loss as what to do with my hair. I run every morning and work out at the gym 6 days a week. My active regimen, is that in the evening I twist my hair and baggy the ends, in the morning, I remove the baggy, put the twists in a low bun and wear a cap while I,m exercising. At the end of the session I rinse my scalp with the twists in, loosely wrap with a towel to catch the excess water, and wear a twist out for the remainder of the day. This has worked for me. For maintenance I wash weekly, DC and oil rinse twice weekly. I don't use heat on my hair and highly recommend that you stop using flat irons, and continue with the bunning for happy hair. Hope this helps.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    I'm active and biracial too if that helps in anyway, although not really because we probably have different types of hair. Anywho, I just wear mine in a pony tail, I think my hair grows fast because I eat a lot of spinach and protein lol. So what are you asking? you don't want to wear your hair down ever? If not, I'd just go with bunning and braids, with deep conditioning when you shower, I mean if you're gonna be in mudd, I'd imagine you'd wash it out your hair anyway, so deep conditioning couldn't hurt. Oh and get a good leave in and maybe oil to seal it. However that works, I realized i put coconut oil in and then seal with leave in..woops:toothy7:, but my hair is doing great this way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file