We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes!

Learn more! https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/185677/help-us-make-sure-curltalk-rocks#latest

hot sock (sox?) diffuser attachment

I tried a new salon and was fairly pleased with my haircut. The stylist used a hot sock instead of a bowl diffuser. I think it cut dow on frizz.

Does anyone use the hot sock, and are you happy with it? Do you have any styling tips?

I guess I can find one in Sally's, right?

thank you,
sherry

Comments

• crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    I use both the hot sock and a bowl diffuser. I got mine on ebay for 3.50 shipped to my house. I like it dries my hair faster than the bowl.
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    I have a hot sock on one of my blow dryers and like it. It cuts down on a direct stream of air while providing a gentler air flow. It prevents your curls from being blown around wildly. When I use it, I will use my hand cupped, with fingers spread, like a bowl attachment and then gently cup curls while drying. HTH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Glad you like your haircut!!! I love my sock diffuser! They're great for traveling. I start off by diffusing with my head down. I like to keep the the hair dryer pointed down the hair shaft (from the roots down), not towards my head. I feel like it prevents frizz that way - you're not blowing hot air against the cuticle and ruffling it. The sock is much better for this than a bowl diffuser. And I use the cupped hand method like Angel said...gently! Then, with my head up, clip the crown and diffuse just a little bit at the roots on a low setting with cool air. Again, blowing air down the hair shaft.

Sally's sells them, but you have to ask for them - they keep them behind the counter. I think they're about $5.

You have to use it on a hair dryer that has a straight barrel. If it's tapered, the sock won't stay on.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Posts: 897Registered Users
    Hi,

Thank you both for your reponses. I really appreciate it. Also, you both have gorgeous hair!!

Take care,
    sherry
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,672Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I bought my sock diffuser at Sally's several years ago. When I used my regular hair dryer (which was hard to fit with a diffuser attachment that would stay on and not bonk me in the head), I loved it! It did a great job of diffusing the air -- barely any hair movement for me as it was drying. I agree, these would be great for travel!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sherry7899 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you both for your reponses. I really appreciate it. Also, you both have gorgeous hair!!

Take care,
    sherry

Thank you! I've been working at the CG thing for about 6 months now - it's nice when you finally figure out what works and doesn't work for your hair. Wish I'd figured this out sooner!

Any chance we get to see a picture of your new haircut?
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file