What's good about 4b hair?

Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
There's a lot of negativity towards 4b hair and a lot of threads from women new to the site w/ a predominately 4b texture who are looking to alter their texture. A lot of times it's the same excuse, my hair is dry, hard to deal with, tangles and etc. It's easy to list all of the negatives that come along w/ this texture but what are some of the positives to having this super kinky texture. I'll start:

-our hair can hold a style for weeks if we keep it up.
-4b inspirational pic thread
-our texture is one of the easier ones to take care of, it likes moisture and it likes to be left alone.

your turn.
Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
Current length: back at APL
Goal length: hip :color:
Staples: natural growth aides

Comments

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    It's thick so we don't have to worry about people seeing our scalp when we style.
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    It's thick so we don't have to worry about people seeing our scalp when we style.

+1

And when other people's hair starts to thin out with age, we'll still have loads!
    Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • tressedforsuccesstressedforsuccess Posts: 87Registered Users
    The best looking Afros, hands down. :afro:
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    It can fool the eye, looks hard and dry but once you touch it , its like stroking satiny cotton
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users
    I also think 4bs tend to have the fattest, most beautiful twists.
  • curls 2nvcurls 2nv Posts: 318Registered Users
    im not a 4b but i think they have the most awesome shrinkage! its so mesmerizing to me when i see a neck length 4b natural stretch their hair or wear braids and be at like apl and bsl!
    CG Curly
    Why does the pj monster haunt me so?:twisted:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing my bf's hair from cbl to apl
  • Truqueen01Truqueen01 Posts: 202Registered Users
    This is my first post! Yeah!
    I love that my 4b hair has personality. It does what it does & surprises me everyday. Sheba (that's her name) looks different every morning & I just keep falling in love.:love5:
  • Nappy*MeNappy*Me Posts: 21Registered Users
    It's incredibly versatile and with the right product and skill, it can be styled in an infinite number of styles...especially as it gains length.

And I agree, when it's well taken care of and styled well, it can indeed fool the eye. Many people have looked at and/or touched my hair and cannot believe it's 4B...just regular ole nappy hair.
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    It's so damn sexy. No matter how you style it!
  • kandiekj100kandiekj100 Posts: 115Registered Users
    I have to say that I am so jealous of the lusciousness of 4B hair. No matter what i try, I will never have a nice twists or twist out. Although I can rock a pony puff, I can't rock a fro now that my hair is longer, and it kills me.

I wish my sister would go natural so I could "play" in her hair, do all the things I can't do with my fine 4a hair.
  • Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    The best looking Afros, hands down. :afro:

ITA with this statement. Also, it grows out instead of down. so, your afro gets bigger as you hair gets longer.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    4b hair is so versatile. its the hair type i envy bcz 4b can get any style and make it work!!! i WISH i had this all over my head. i've always wanted BIG hair!!!
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TjaneeTjanee Posts: 50Registered Users
    It makes us stand out from the crowd 8-)

event.png
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I love the softness, the thickness and the "boingy" rubber band quality of 4b hair (even if that does mean serious shrinkage). 4b hair takes twists beautifully, better than any other type.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    absolutely everything mentioned in this thread!
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    4b hair takes twists beautifully, better than any other type.

Totally agree!
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    can wear many, many styles

easier to hide thinning
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    some great ones so far!

variety of styling options, ease of loc'ing, thickness, suede like sheen/texture!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • NeemsNeems Posts: 88Registered Users
    4b hair is just beautiful. It stands on its own, literally:iconbiggrin:
  • runnerchickirunnerchicki Posts: 475Registered Users
    I hope its okay if I put a comment in coming from a NON-4b perspective...

I think it just plain looks gorgeous! I love how full and thick 4b hair is, and the versatility is amazing! You can get so many looks from the same head of hair. And it just plain looks sexy.

rc
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • mouseymousey Posts: 120Registered Users
    afroNphoto wrote: »
    4b hair is just beautiful. It stands on its own, literally:iconbiggrin:

my exact thoughts.
    i cannot live without my aviators, my boston terrier, biology and black tights.:love7:
  • Hair I AmHair I Am Posts: 36Registered Users
    I love my 4b hair! Mainly because of the volume (love big hair) and dare I say, the shrinkage! I hated my shrinkage when I first BC'ed but now I love how I can go from a huge blown out fro to a closely cropped shrunken fro and everything in between.

I love this thread! We needed more activity in the 4b thread so I'm glad someone posted a positive thread about the pro's of this texture.
  • CityGirl81CityGirl81 Posts: 418Registered Users
    I love this thread!
  • proctorsweetieproctorsweetie Posts: 93Registered Users
    I'm no 4(instead, a 3a) but I have to be honest : I get so jealous when I see a girl with those curls! You have the cutest hairstyles and the downright sassiest curls. Period.
    I think Bumble&Bumble put it best: WILD CHILD AMAZON WARRIOR BOMBSHELL

2c/3a Botticelli curls
    started CG 27. May 2011
    :wave:
    Curl inspiration: Nicole Kidman's natural curls, the 80's/90's careers of Laetitia Casta & Eva Herzigova, the artwork of Milo Manara
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hope its okay if I put a comment in coming from a NON-4b perspective...

I think it just plain looks gorgeous! I love how full and thick 4b hair is, and the versatility is amazing! You can get so many looks from the same head of hair. And it just plain looks sexy.

rc

I'm no 4(instead, a 3a) but I have to be honest : I get so jealous when I see a girl with those curls! You have the cutest hairstyles and the downright sassiest curls. Period.

thanks ladies! the grass is always greener on the other side. Most days I wouldn't trade my kinks for the world but then there are days where I would kill for a different texture. :confused2:
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • ChAoTiCbLiSsChAoTiCbLiSs Posts: 127Registered Users
    I've always envied the volume, the volume, the VOLUME type 4s have!!! 4s can do any style, it lasts and lasts, and volume for days!!!!
    3b/2b/3c mix
    ~no heat, sulfates, silicones, mineral oil or petrolatum~
    CURLS, My Honey Child , KCKT, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, & Elasta QP Feels Like Silk
  • aishamodelaishamodel Posts: 136Registered Users
    There's a lot of negativity towards 4b hair and a lot of threads from women new to the site w/ a predominately 4b texture who are looking to alter their texture. A lot of times it's the same excuse, my hair is dry, hard to deal with, tangles and etc. It's easy to list all of the negatives that come along w/ this texture but what are some of the positives to having this super kinky texture. I'll start:

-our hair can hold a style for weeks if we keep it up.
    -[URL="http://4b inspirational pic thread"]4b inspirational pic thread[/URL]
    -our texture is one of the easier ones to take care of, it likes moisture and it likes to be left alone.

your turn.

I can't open the inspirations pic thread link :-(
    4a-4b hair. Not sure yet so I'll just say both!
  • happynappshappynapps Posts: 21Registered Users
    I think that I'm a 4b-4c (still trying to learn how to add pics.) but anyway. It took a while for me to accept my texture,which seems to change every once in a while. But on my good hair days I love it. My hair is thinner and straighter in the top and that can be agravating but I'm still trying to find that perfect product. I think that twistouts are the best thing for 4b hair. This site has been a BIG help you all are AWSOME.
    4c,I think
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    ///
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file