While breastfeeding when should I pump?

Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
My little girl is eating about every 2.5-3 hours, exclusively nursing. I want to pump a little each day to build up a storage in the freezer for when she goes to Grandma's or I have to be away for more than a few hours. When should I pump?

I've been feeding her from one side at each session, switching sides each time she eats. I find that if I try to switch during the same session she doesn't seem all that interested after switching. Right now night feedings are such an ordeal that I'm not all that interested in pumping at night, I spend most of the night trying to get her back to sleep!

Should I pump the side I don't feed her from? Will that affect the amount of milk she has at the next feeding when she eats from that side? I don't know how fast milk builds up and I don't want her to be frustrated or not get enough. SHould I pump from the side she just finished eating on? Any advice would be appreciated.

I tried pumping for the first time today and got 3 oz. from mainly the side she didn't eat on and a little bit from the side she did eat on. Then I thought oh no maybe I shouldn't have done that because now what if she doesn't have enough at the next feeding!

TIA!
3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse

Comments

• CurlyCarrieSCurlyCarrieS Posts: 200Registered Users
    You only make as much milk as is taken out. So, if you pumped that and she doesn't have enough next feeding then just feed her what you pumped until you can build up your milk supply that you can feed her on one side then pump on the other.

I also heard that you pump even more milk if you pump on one side while you feed on the other. I waited too long to try this and my son was too distracted by the noise of the pump so I plan on trying this next time.:happy11:

It also helps to pump 15 minutes after you feed to help build up your supply (on the side you feed on) because your boob is like 'what? you still want milk out? alright already!' *makes more milk*)

Hope this helps!
    CG since10/26/09
    Co-wash Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom
    Leave-in Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom (Just a little before adding La Bella Max Hold Plus Volume Styling Gel.)
    Just bought Olive Miracle Leave-in Conditioner to try. I used it to scrunch out the crunch and it smells wonderful. (05Jun2012)
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I found it hard to pump and be feeding full time. But what worked best for me was to pump during the first feed of the morning on other breast. I was fullest in the morning and could get a good bit of milk that way.

I found it hard to pump and be feeding full time. But what worked best for me was to pump during the first feed of the morning on other breast. I was fullest in the morning and could get a good bit of milk that way.

It was too hard for me to do this as well. Mainly because I didn't want to get out that pump and set it up. (It is kinda falling apart and I have to hold pieces in for it to work. I can't afford another one atm unfortunately.) I now only pump while at work so just about everyday he gets 1 bottle. It depends on what time I fed him before I left for work if I get enough for a bottle that day.
    CG since10/26/09
    Leave-in Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom (Just a little before adding La Bella Max Hold Plus Volume Styling Gel.)
    Just bought Olive Miracle Leave-in Conditioner to try. I used it to scrunch out the crunch and it smells wonderful. (05Jun2012)
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Can you try hand-expressing some whenever you get a chance? Then you don't have to fiddle with setting up and putting away the pump.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Kaia wrote: »
    Can you try hand-expressing some whenever you get a chance? Then you don't have to fiddle with setting up and putting away the pump.
    I never learned how (Though I am sure it isn't too hard since he can manage to squirt himself in the face with it!) and I don't think I really need to now. He's going on 11 months so he can eat food without milk for a couple of feedings and live to tell the tale!
    :blob3:
    CG since10/26/09
    Fotki pwpics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I pumped when I was super engorged in the begining...so I would pump before she would eat so I could get a her to latch better. I was able to get a very good start that way.

I agree that it was very frustrating for both of us when I would pump while feeding her full-time. Since she has been STTN, I pump at midnight, before I go to bed. Actually right now, to increase my supply, I do a marathon 1 hour pumping session every day before I go to bed.

I have been able to save up around 75 bags of BM this way...never really going out of my way, just pumping when I felt engorged or if I still felt a little full after she ate and she was going down for a nap.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I pumped the "stronger" best while nursing on the weaker breast.
    hello.world.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When waking in the morning, I would offer the same side as the last feeding (given that it had been a few hours). Then, I would pump the other side, which had "rested" since the middle of the night. I built my stash that way while on leave.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file