Infant car seat question

Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
I'm trying to determine what level to put the shoulder straps on my infact car seat. The directions only say that they should be as close to the baby's shoulders as possible but no other guidelines.

Should I put them at the lowest of the 3 settings, closest to the baby? What about the one that goes between the legs? Again the one closest to the baby? There are two slots there.

I'm just trying to be prepared as it's been below zero here and I'd hate to be ready to leave the hospital and have to take the seat out and try to manuever those straps in the cold before we can leave.
3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse

Comments

• elitaelita Curl Neophyte Posts: 402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Actually it's hard to tell before the baby is born, but for most newborns the straps are at the lowest (closest) level. If you have the infant carrier type carseat, you can leave the base in the car and bring the carrier inside the hospital. At the hospital where my kids were born, the policy is that the nurse checks to make sure the straps fit before mother and baby are allowed to leave. This was a lot easier to do inside rather than in the cold car.

Pack a few receiving blankets in your hospital bag also so you can roll them up and put them around the baby's head and along the sides to keep him/her nice and snug.

Good luck!!
    2a underneath, 2b/c on top, medium texture, low porosity, normal elasticity, high density
    mod-CG since Feb 2009
    HG Combo: CJDF, BCDC & AFL
    Other Favorites:
    all things Spiral Solutions and Curl Junkie!! :love5:
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    When we left with Callie, we had the straps all at the closest setting to her (buckle and shoulder straps). She was 6.5 lbs at that point.

We quickly had to move them though when she was close to 10ish lbs.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • goldygoldy Curl Connoisseur Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yep, you have to wait until the babe comes to see how they fit best into the car seat.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    You won't be able to tell until your baby is here, but start on the lowest level for the shoulder straps. This can be really confusing sometimes. ALL rear-facing carseats need to have the shoulder straps at or below the tops of the shoulders. If they are above them it is wrong and dangerous. Forward-facing carseats, however, need to have the straps at or above the shoulder level because if they are below the tops of the shoulders there is a risk of spinal compression in an accident (the forces affect the body differently when rear-facing than they do when forward-facing).

ETA: here is a good link that explains it: http://www.orbitbaby.com/why/library/harness_safety.php

Hope that helps!
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file