Need Help!

Dragongurl288Dragongurl288 Registered Users Posts: 32
I am having so much trouble with my hair. I've tried so many products, but nothing helps. It's really fine, 3c/4a. It's healthy, but I just can't manage it. Most days I walk around looking like a pulled cotton ball.The ends will curl very well, but nothing else. I use Giovanni shampoo and conditioner. I've tried their mousse too, but it didn't do much. What can I do?

Comments

• Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Registered Users Posts: 793 Curl Neophyte
    What exactly seems to be the problem? Is it dry, trouble finding styles, split ends, shedding? Could you clarify a bit more?:glasses7:
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
  • Dragongurl288Dragongurl288 Registered Users Posts: 32
    I can't really style it in general. It's healthy, just unruly. I tried a twist out and it was just a crinkly poof. I've tried roller sets, but it comes out looking like a cotton ball. I'm looking for more manageability, and hopefully less shrinkage. Stretched out my hair reaches all the way to my cheeks, but it looks less than half as long.
    Anyone? I need styling tips, product suggestions, anything.
  • TorimomTorimom Registered Users Posts: 258
    Are you CG? What products are you using?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All Natural Since July 2009
    Avatar Pic: HESMU gel over Tresemme Naturals as leave-in 7/25/10. I hadn't had time to SOTC but it got nice and full later (no pic:sad10:)
    Last Relaxer: February 2008
    Type: 4a canopy, 3c mid, 3b nape, semi porous, ii
    Current Favorite: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Trying: Castor Oil
    Not CG. I'm using Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner, Giovanni's mousse, and raw shea butter.
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Registered Users Posts: 793 Curl Neophyte
    do you deep condition your hair regularly? If not you may need to incorporate this into your routine. Shrinkage is unavoidable unfortunately. Being that your hair is in the in between stage you may want to try styles that are suited for that hair length. You could try braid outs, flexi-rods, perm-rods, straw curls. And it could very well be your products, Giovanni products are very protein heavy. Maybe switch to a line like Aubrey Organics which has protein and moisture products.
    For me twist were preferable at this length. I could only suggest you peruse some albums for more style options.
    Do you have any pics of your hair?
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    No, unfortunately I don't have a camera. It usually has tight corkscrew that are about pencil width size, but only at the ends. Is there any way to tell how much protein a product has?
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    How do you use shea? I also looked up the Giovanni mousse and it says that it's supposed to build body, which is usually something CGs don't want... Do you use a leave in?

Also, do you use heat on your hair ever?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    The shea I emulsify and use on the ends, sometimes on the shaft. For leave-in I usually use a tiny bit of whatever conditioner I'm using. I use a hood dryer if it's cold, but not too hot.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm...well first, it sounds like you need a styler of some sort...I have a friend that has hair similar to yours--where her ends curl up in spirals but the rest of her hair doesn't. She uses [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/buylink]. Have you tried any gel-type products or a styling cream?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    My hair used to do that a few months ago, have you tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]? It doubles as a leave-in and styler. It doesn't have a lot of protein and can be found on the ground. Sometimes oils such as coconut oil can be used as stylers.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    ellepixie, I was thinking that, too. I've been looking for a gel or something. I have tried the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], it did not work for me, so it's on the swap board. I've tried Aveda's brilliant styling creme, but it was so long ago, I don't remember it.
    WCR, I haven't tried the KCKT, but I've been looking into it. How is it? I have to be careful because my hair is also fine. I've been looking at [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Devacurl Arc Angell[/buylink], and Giovanni Magnetic Gel.
  • MissConstruedMissConstrued Registered Users Posts: 323
    My hair is a combination of coarse and fine, 3b/3c, spirals and curls. So far the only consistent things my hair loves is Soy Butter and Herbal Essence Hello Hydration or Crece Pelo as leave-ins. I'm trying Afroveda products: Curly Custard, Totally Twisted Ginger Almond Butter, and Shea Amla Whipped Butter Cream. I won't know until tomorrow how well my hair takes to it, but already it is responding to the Shea Amla well.
    "The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."

Hair type: 3C
    I am a serial cutter :help:
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file