Any local trends you wanna share with us?

Curly_LoverCurly_Lover Posts: 42Registered Users
Hey everyone,
I live in new jersey and i was wondering about latest trends. This may seem like an odd topic but i think i should explain. Okay, so like first off the New Boyz came with their whole skinny jeans and jerkin movement. That made wearing skinny jeans more popular but i feel it is still more regular now since a few girls and i wore skinny jeans before the whole song came out. So like apparently other places gets trends before us and i was wondering if you don't mind sharing em because im in desperate need of something new. Everyone i see now is wearing skinny jeans and converse aka what i call "chucks". I feel the whole movement ended quickly over here lol. So can anyone just suggest some popular trends that they are going through?

Most people here are still in the converse phase and some guys wear skinny jeans. Short curly hair with straight across bangs are like in right now which is why i don't want my bangs anymore >.< lol.
in desperate need of an update!
PICT0655-1.jpg
to be continued..:thumbleft:

Comments

• definingnamedefiningname Posts: 19Registered Users
    Hmm, skinny jeans have been popular down here (for both girls and guys) since maybe...2006. The girls around here have been wearing straight bangs with curly hair since... forever it seems. :P Side bangs in all have been quite a trend for three/four years. Converse? They've been a trend since I was in like third grade! I personally love them. (; I'm from Florida, so trends are always pretty fast, new, and ongoing down here.
    The latest thing has been everyone trying to be scene, emo, punk through clothing and music. You can tell who's real and who's a fake though.
    -Angelica
  • kinkycurlycutiekinkycurlycutie Posts: 40Registered Users
    I live in jersey like you but where I live skinny jeans became popular for girls way before the New Boys came onto the scene. Also a lot people are dying their bangs unnatural colors like blue and pink and most people seem to have straight bangs with wavy hair.
    Hair type: mostly very tight 4a with a little 3c and 4b, porous:walk:, medium-thickness

HG: Jessicurl hcc, jessicurl too shea extra moisturizing conditioner, VO5 moisture milk, eco styler olive oil styling gel, Jane carter hair solutions nourish and shine

event.png
  • dont worry be curly!dont worry be curly! Posts: 144Registered Users
    haha well I live up here in the Northwest...Washington :D haha . Here skinny jeans are still very popular, so is plaid... not plaid jeans haha( is that even possible?!).. but like plaid flannel shirts (in all color combinations you could imagine!) and EVERYONE is wearing it. At my school converse are popular and so are vans. scarves are also popular, everyones wearing white t-shirts with a scarve over it. Guys here wear basketball shorts all the time and still are into baggy jeans lol but not super baggy most guys dont wear skinny jeans here unless they are "skater guys"Finally, skinny jeans tucked into boots are popular. Hair styles, well there isnt much of a trend at my school when it comes to hair...cool thread idea!:D
    ~~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. --Dr.Seuss

~~Don't cry because it's over smile because it happened.--Dr.Seuss:color:

We are all fools, whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance! :)
  • Curly_LoverCurly_Lover Posts: 42Registered Users
    Oh yes skinny jeans were very much more popular when girls wore them and then the new boyz came out and boys wear em. I have no problem but im a tad concerned about their private area being squished like that lol.

Many girls i've seen are dying their hair more frequently since they aren't pleased with their natural color.

Also converse are my personal favorites but many people just throw on converse even if they are wearing a complete red outfit or blue outfit. Converse are stylish and comfy for me but i only tend to wear them when i actually am wearing black, white, and/or gray.
    PICT0655-1.jpg
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Curl Neophyte Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well I live in California so I see a lot of different styles. I live in central cali, so I get both the "bay" style and the "beach" style. Although there are a lot more people with New York style around now.

Flat boots are super in style right now. From Steve Madden to Blowfish...pretty much everyone has a pair. A lot of people are going natural with their hair or at least trying to get beachy waves...probably more than the normal amount. Plaid is really in. Actually anything from PacSun is super trendy. The hipster look is very popular as well...like leather jackets, gladiator sandals, vests, loose shirts, berets...you get it.

I think where I live it is just a mesh of styles from everywhere else. New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles...
  • definingnamedefiningname Posts: 19Registered Users
    Oh yes skinny jeans were very much more popular when girls wore them and then the new boyz came out and boys wear em. I have no problem but im a tad concerned about their private area being squished like that lol.

Many girls i've seen are dying their hair more frequently since they aren't pleased with their natural color.

Also converse are my personal favorites but many people just throw on converse even if they are wearing a complete red outfit or blue outfit. Converse are stylish and comfy for me but i only tend to wear them when i actually am wearing black, white, and/or gray.

Haha, around here we don't really wear them like that, black/white/gray. We just wear them with anything that goes with black... and considering there's so many colors, we wear them with just about anything. Also, it's kind of "the thing" to have beat up chucks.
    -Angelica
  • CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
    Well, down here in Arizona the new thing is kinda to do your own thing. Wearing stuff that no one else does and taking risks with your clothing is considered really cool here.

But we still have some "trends" too. Converse are still big, but the new thing is boots! Vintage screen tee's are in and pretty much anything 80's inspired.

Oh, and flat ironing your hair is very much in here too. :(
    CG since December 22, 2008!:thumbright:
    Thick/Coarse/Porous/3a/Protein Sensitive

Luvin the Spritz and Condish method! =)
  • Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Posts: 230Registered Users
    All the trends I've seen are trends people /think/ are new and original but are actually recycled from like, the 80s and before.

The Chucks, gladiator sandals, high waisted skirts and jeans, some people try the boho thing (i love it, but i'm aware it is very 70s), neon.. everything, etc.

With hair it's usually curly hair, straight bangs or (at least at my school) multi-coloured weave that looks like some kind of sculpture.

I'm doing the former until I cut my hair. But yeah. The fashion pendulum is so interesting to look at.
    4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
    currently texlaxed!
    APL stretched, ear length curly.
    Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
    Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
    Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
    Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
    Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
    Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)
  • anflananflan Posts: 36Registered Users
    Hair- Spiked, dark, occasionally some highlights or unnatural colours. STRAIGHT.

Clothes- Anything tight, it seems. Camisoles with a hoodie and jeans. Ripped jeans? Polos, Oxfords, khakis..

People don't usually wear jewelry, if they do it'll be a simple ring or pearl necklace.

That's my tiny 200 person school, atleast.

I see at the bigger High schools people wearing messy buns and bangs pulled back in a pouf.

I'm the only person who doesn't straighten their hair (of the girls) at my school. Although I occasionally blow dry my bangs. Natural looking highlights. Flowing clothes.. Besides the polos I we need to wear, I have nothing in common with them.

I don't even wear khakis because I prefer skirts. :)

I don't follow trends well.
    -Michigan
  • SingingSongsSingingSongs Posts: 42Registered Users
    Its funny, because I see alot of 20's style coming back also (I love 80's and 20's style!!!) so thats interesting. I see alot of the Ankle boots or flat boots. Long shirts with waste belts are really in now. I see shoulder lenght messy hair quitte often with alot of layer.

I also see leather jackets and jackets with some fur.
    I LOVE JACKETS and especially hoodies, so all the new styles for them are pretty exciting for me.
    black bouncy 3a/b curls... And thats all I got to say...
  • toodleycurl22toodleycurl22 Posts: 53Registered Users
    a lot of people are wearing skinny jeans, but a lot are starting to wear those leggings that look like jeans, and just leggings. also a LOT of people are wearing high waisted skirts, and shorts. and hairwise...i don't really think there is a trend right now! ^.^
    twisty curly, curly twisty
    gel-y, mouse-y, pomade-y, misty
    pretty ugly, ugly pretty
    they listen, they don't -
    oh what a pity
  • SandiSandi Curl Neophyte Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I live in SoCal and well.. I don't really pay attention much. I guess there's the people who are total fashion gurus and dress like it, and there's others (like me) who don't give a crap. My outfits usually consist of a sweatshirt and jeans (skinny or bootcut). Sometimes I'd like to dress like I care, but the morning sleepiness (I wake up at 5:30) gets in the way and I end up throwing on a sweatshirt.. go figure.
    But I do go to malls and it seems like denim is in. That and converse, skinny jeans, but bootcut seems like it's making a comeback. Omg.. almost forgot.. scarves. Everyone is wearing scarves.. like as accessories..
    Plus, straight hair is in (as always). I have some Asian friends who straighten their hair.. I don't even bother telling them it's already straight anymore..
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
    what i noticed is very popular with girls is the ugg boots. Im not sure if you've heard of em but like that one name brand is popular. All the girls i seen will not wear other boots but uggs just because. I don't think they are like so cute but it's not ugly. I noticed how expensive they are so im way turned off by em.

Also the short natural look is in with a lot of volume from curls.
    PICT0655-1.jpg
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Curl Neophyte Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ugg boots are kinda getting old at my school. People still wear them for the comfort but they are certainly not trendy or anything.
  • wredna.ankawredna.anka Posts: 28Registered Users
    huh, it seems that my school is a kind of fashion-follower ;p - as soon as it's on the catwalk, it;s at my school. No more skinny jeans, no converses at all, just glam rock, a bit of boho chic and grunge ;]

I do not follow it much, too ;p
    ____

curlies are great.:love10:
    3b/a?
    fine/medium
    very dry
    on the beginning on the way of helping them:angel8:
  • RotiniRotini Posts: 53Registered Users
    Uggs, skinnys, Neon Shades, the shades with the stripes across them, guys wear shorts in december lol. mainly sport pants. I was just at a school dance (group dancing - I'm only in middle school!) but people went crazy. my ears are ringing because it is suddenly so quiet in my house. But a lot of plaid shirts are in for girls
    Curly Teen & Loving It!
    Type 3b/c hair

I find myself with less respect for those who straighten their hair constantly or have relaxers or whatever else is out there. I believe that if your hair is curly, wavy, or straight, your hair is beautiful as is. There are non-damaging solutions for frizz or split ends or whatever. You don't have to burn it flat or fry it with chemicals to look "good." People say love the skin you're in, same goes for hair.
    :wav:

• RotiniRotini Posts: 53Registered Users
    And dark shades:glasses1:
    Im the one setting these trends. I wear what I like and I don't care what anyone else thinks!
    Curly Teen & Loving It!
    Type 3b/c hair

I find myself with less respect for those who straighten their hair constantly or have relaxers or whatever else is out there. I believe that if your hair is curly, wavy, or straight, your hair is beautiful as is. There are non-damaging solutions for frizz or split ends or whatever. You don't have to burn it flat or fry it with chemicals to look "good." People say love the skin you're in, same goes for hair.
    :wav:

• pizza144pizza144 Posts: 13Registered Users
    hm, lets see.
    -uggs
    -plaid
    -high-waisted skirts
    -boots
    -long shirts with a belt
    -braiding a little piece of your hair and clipping it back
    -short hair
    lots of fine 2b porous (i think) hair, CG 8/21/09
    Cowash: suave naturals coconut
    Rinse out: LVPNG, Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    Leave in: LVPNG, suave naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Sport, HESMU, HEBE
    DT: egg/mayo/olive oil, GVP conditioning balm
    Experimenting with: Ecostyler, Biotera, FSG, Nature's Gate
    i officially love my curls. :occasion7:
  • Irish_carrottopIrish_carrottop Posts: 214Registered Users
    pizza144 wrote: »
    hm, lets see.
    -uggs
    -plaid
    -high-waisted skirts
    -boots
    -long shirts with a belt
    -braiding a little piece of your hair and clipping it back
    -short hair

Yes. Some of these things I'm seeing too. Where I live, the whole scene, skinny, neon colored stuff is kinda dying out. People are going for more classy stuff, like flat boots, scarves, cardigans, and beret winter hats. Thats what I like to wear, to.
    hm i understand what u mean because many girls are wearing scarves and the beret hats.
    PICT0655-1.jpg
  • curlycarrottop62curlycarrottop62 Posts: 245Registered Users
    in my school (middle school, 8th grade) people are finally laying off abercrombie (thank god!) lol. people are now shopping more at nordstrom and more classy stores, which i like
    Multi-textured head! 3a w/ some 3c, medium to high porosity, medium to coarse texture, dry!

My current favorites: Suave naturals shampoo, Suave coconut, Organix argan and moroccan oil conditioner, GFTN, LALMG, FSG <3!!

Not a huge fan of CG :/
    in my school (middle school, 8th grade) people are finally laying off abercrombie (thank god!) lol. people are now shopping more at nordstrom and more classy stores, which i like

haha yay! i agree with you.

PS does anyone shop at Urban Outfitters? That's my FAVORITE store ever. I love it :)
  • voguefashion334voguefashion334 Posts: 15Registered Users
    At my school most of the girls try to dress like the girls from Gossip Girl but get super insulted if you call them out on it.

the "Blairs"- wear headbands and head to toe Lacoste and Ralph Lauren Purple Label

the "Vanessa"- wear American Apparel and some Urban Outfitters

the "Serena's"- wear anything short or formfitting
    Last Relaxer: June 11, 2008
    After transitioning for over 2 years, my relaxed ends got rid of themselves:roll:
    Shampoo:Jason Natural Jojoba Shampoo
    Conditioner: TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac
    Deep Conditioner: Silk Elements Megasilk Treatment
    Leave-in: Hawaiin Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker
    Oils:Coconut Oil and Wild Growth Hair Oil

Current Length: APL
  • millymollymoomillymollymoo Posts: 27Registered Users
    um hi.
    i'm from birmingham, england and tbh skinny jeans have been out for yearrs, apparenlty we had them and then you guys in usa did.
    anyway, enough of skinnies.
    massive oversized bags are cool, pumps like these (attachment) are big in the uk. with the pumps and stuff, you can mix and match, so have flip-flop boots.
    if it looks good, wear it!
    we also wear;
    * floral crop tops
    * nautical stuff.
    * lace (lace tgihts ontop of coloured tights is ace.)
    * blazers
    * jeggings
    * ugg boots
    * acid wash skinnes
    * vintage-looking stuff
    * 'geek chic'
    alot of stuff british teens wear is quirky, so we do have general trends, but almost anything goes.
    the madder the better.
    i'll put some pictures up so you yankees can see some british stuff.
    and i'll see if i can pic up so american stuff. i only found out what a 'bang' was yesterday. why dont you just call it a fringe like us?
    (YY)

p.s try these
    *http://www.polyvore.com/tempo_lace_up_canvas_pump/thing?id=2990880
    * www.topshop.com
    *google the above items
    and urban outfitters aswell
    ahhh!
    your american fashion is wierd.
    in england;
    girls wear checkered shirts and boys, with tank top underneath and boyfriend jeans are ace, ugg boots are lame, jeggings are ok, cardigans, boys who wear skinnes are indie/skater or so fit they can get away with it, i wish you guys could walk through town for just a day. damn! there's so much. that's why i keep commenting and forgetting things. just google it!
    I love blazers! And lace. I really want to get some Oxford shoes, but they are so expensive. I'll have to wait and save up for some. :tongue:
  • eli_extasyeli_extasy Posts: 16Registered Users
    haha well I live up here in the Northwest...Washington :D haha . Here skinny jeans are still very popular, so is plaid... not plaid jeans haha( is that even possible?!).. but like plaid flannel shirts (in all color combinations you could imagine!) and EVERYONE is wearing it. At my school converse are popular and so are vans. scarves are also popular, everyones wearing white t-shirts with a scarve over it. Guys here wear basketball shorts all the time and still are into baggy jeans lol but not super baggy most guys dont wear skinny jeans here unless they are "skater guys"Finally, skinny jeans tucked into boots are popular. Hair styles, well there isnt much of a trend at my school when it comes to hair...cool thread idea!:D

I'm from Washington too ! Haha, And yeahh i most defiantly agree.

Washington is like the creator of the grunge scene and Seattle, WA is a fashion capitol. You see almost everything here :D I'm really into menswear right now though.
  • kendra495kendra495 Posts: 11Registered Users
    Aeropostale...and Hollister mostly. Usually it's a tee over some straight leg or skinny jean. Lots of mix and matching with accessories. Iv'e seen a lot of girls with pearl earrings lately too. Some girsl overdo it though because they match EVERYTHING. I seen one girl with red plaid skinny jeans, red shirt, and black and red shoes. Uggs are alwasy cute also.
  • dont worry be curly!dont worry be curly! Posts: 144Registered Users
    eli_extasy wrote: »

I'm from Washington too ! Haha, And yeahh i most defiantly agree.

Washington is like the creator of the grunge scene and Seattle, WA is a fashion capitol. You see almost everything here :D I'm really into menswear right now though.

haha oh cool!! :) Washingtons the best!! :) Well I wish it didn't rain so much ahaha:toothy8: your right though you do see a lot of fashion here
    ~~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. --Dr.Seuss

~~Don't cry because it's over smile because it happened.--Dr.Seuss:color:

We are all fools, whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file