New stuff or hand me downs?

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
Almost all of our friends over here have had a baby in the past year. So, they are giving us all kinds of stuff that their babies no longer use.. bassinet, infant car seat, stroller, crib, etc. What things did you insist on buying new? Is a used crib matress okay? Sanitary? We know the people who the stuff came from (everythign but the crib & mattress). Should I buy a new mattress for the crib? Also, what do you put in a bassinet? Like what kind of bedding? Do you put any kind of covers or is that a suffication hazzard?
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The crib mattress is the one thing that I would buy new. There are studies that link old crib mattresses to SIDS. I don't know if they are accurate but the mattresses are so cheap that it's not a huge inconvience to buy new. Everything else is fair game. Unless you are extremely picky, take what you can from friends. Friends giving us things let me splurge on the items that I really liked.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I agree. I would buy a new mattress, but take anything else. We did not have a lot of people to get hand-me down s from but did get a bassinette and car seat from friends.

You are not supposed to use any bedding besides a snug-fitting sheet on anything that baby sleeps on. I only started using blankets recently and Ben is 2. They sell bassinette sheets.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    shelli,

not to get off topic, but which dress did you end up choosing? Or did I miss your choice on the other board?
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    The not ruffley one.

• CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I wish I had someone to get leftovers from. I'm so far behind everyone else in my family, we will have to start fresh.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    There are soo many pregnant people and newborns here all the time! It is like, everyone gets bored being over here so they make babies! It is a joke that it is in the water here! Whren I first moved here, I sat at atable with some of my husband's friend's wives. I looked around the table adn 5 out of the 6 people sitting at the table were all pregnant! instead of handicapped parking spaces, they have Expectant Mother parking (SERIOUSLY) so pregnant moms wont have to walk across a icy parking lot.

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    Car seats are like bike helmets--never use a second-hand one of either. At least that's what the police, Consumer Reports, and the car seat manufacturers say. Since you only know what the former owner has said, you never know for sure if something has compromised its integrity. It's best to start off with a new one that has never been in an accident, no matter how small.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote:
    Car seats are like bike helmets--never use a second-hand one of either. At least that's what the police, Consumer Reports, and the car seat manufacturers say. Since you only know what the former owner has said, you never know for sure if something has compromised its integrity. It's best to start off with a new one that has never been in an accident, no matter how small.

My sis-in-law has a carseat she keeps trying to cram down my throat. For one thing her daughter that used it last is 7 yrs old now and secondly if I wanted to use an old carseat I'd use the one we used for my son. She keeps telling me oh it's so cute it has little teddy bears on it and I try to be as nice as I can but I just want to say I don't want your flippin teddy bear 7 yr old carseat. Wow you can totally tell i'm pregnant in that post
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I forgot about carseats. I would take a used one if I knew 100% that the person was being truthful with me about no accidents. There are very few people that I trust enough for that. We bought our own carseat because I just had to have a particular one to make my travel system look cool. We sold it a few weeks ago to a couple who trusted us despite not knowing us.

If you borrow one, there is an expiration date like sticker somewhere on it. They can't be used after a certain amount of time.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CGE wrote:
    I wish I had someone to get leftovers from. I'm so far behind everyone else in my family, we will have to start fresh.

We got all new everything. My logic is - we plan to have more so we will pass it down in our own little family. Of course, now I'm wondering just where I'm supposed to store all of this in the meantime.
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I agree with the car seat and the mattress. BTW, if you ever take your carseat (or infant carrier) on a plane, they check the safety label, so make sure that whatever model you use is FAA approved too.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file