What do you do in the evening?

shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
I am in a serious rut. My hubby and I seem to watch TV and surf the internet and we're both kind of sick of it and looking to do something better with our time. I'm looking for tips. How do you fill your evenings and spare time?
Fine, very porous 3a
Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,226Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi - I go out with friends, go to the theatre or ballet (when I can afford it), and take classes. Is there a local Y or high school which offers classes or lectures you could go to? My local Y has everything from A - Z - art, movies, science, self-improvement, baking, historic walks etc.

There's also a nationwide group thing called meetups - if you google meetup you can find groups in your area. It's free - people meet for every possible reason - to learn languages, play tennis, politics, chess, fencing, etc.

What did you like to do before you were married? And hubby? Maybe you could reignite some of those interests. It's an interesting question - let us know what you come up with.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Do you and DH enjoy any board games or card games? We're in a similar rut, by the time my son goes to bed b/w 9:00 and 10:00 we're tired and just watch TV or play on the computer. We enjoy playing board games with friends so I was thinking maybe we could play one together in the evenings.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Posts: 236Registered Users
    Like pixiecurl, DH and I will play board or card games sometimes. We also go for long walks. Sometimes we'll make a dessert together. We also do marathons of certain film series or TV shows... right now we are watching the entire series of the original "Star Trek" (we've never seen it before!) Sometimes we just sit and read together. We'll trade books so we can talk about what we've both read. Sometimes we'll put on music and dance! Or DH will play his guitar and I will make up lyrics to what he is playing. We just wrote a song about our dog!
    2a/b. I love AOHR!
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    Katiecurl wrote: »
    Like pixiecurl, DH and I will play board or card games sometimes. We also go for long walks. Sometimes we'll make a dessert together. We also do marathons of certain film series or TV shows... right now we are watching the entire series of the original "Star Trek" (we've never seen it before!) Sometimes we just sit and read together. We'll trade books so we can talk about what we've both read. Sometimes we'll put on music and dance! Or DH will play his guitar and I will make up lyrics to what he is playing. We just wrote a song about our dog!

Hahaa, that is so cute!
    Fine, very porous 3a
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Katiecurl wrote: »

Awww...you guys sound like a fun couple!!!!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We work! LOL!

But, when we're off, we do things like play board games, walk the dogs, watch movies, surf the net, read, visit friends, etc. Or we do less fun things, like clean the house.
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In the early evenings, I'm usually tied up with kitchen chores and supervising homework/piano-practice/showers, while hubby is usually working in his home office. We get together around 9pm to have family-read-time in our bed. That lasts about 30 minutes, then we tuggle them in and spend a little adult time together. We rarely watch TV, either together or apart. Sometimes I clean/sew/web-surf while he's working in the same room.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,485Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We don't do anything real exciting. We read, watch TV, and/or surf the web/play computer games.... I guess you could say we're in a rut, too - but I like this rut!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mdrb wrote: »
    I am in a serious rut. My hubby and I seem to watch TV and surf the internet and we're both kind of sick of it and looking to do something better with our time. I'm looking for tips. How do you fill your evenings and spare time?

We actually do the same as you!! :love7: But, I love it. It is very relaxing to me. We love to watch the reality shows - So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, The Apprentice, The Bachelor/Bachelorette. We also like The Cake Boss, Shark Tanks, Jon and Kate plus Eight, Joel McHale's The Soup, Jay Leno. I know, I know - it can get sickening, but I love it. It is brainless TV. Plus, we rent a lot of movies, too.

On weekends, along with my 18-year-old daughter, we like going to NYC and walking around a different area each time, eating, and going to Broadway plays. :blob3:

We also like to walk and look at birds (birding) a lot.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SO and I do alot of what's already been mentioned but I'll list ours specifically

Play Scrabble

Read together- He'll read a book then I'll read it so we can talk about them. Right now we are reading the Vampire Hunter D series

Have tv series marathons- Firefly, Invasion, Dexter, Nip/Tuck are some we've really enjoyed. It feels more like you're into it than just watching plain ol' tv.

Watch movies instead of tv shows. It feels like if we sit down and cuddle up for a movie we are spending better quality time together. We really enjoy horror movies so we try to search those out, even ones never heard of.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• desert flowerdesert flower Posts: 188Registered Users
    We get in this rut sometimes too...it's hard to find energy at the end of the day!

Right now, we are taking a Spanish class together on Monday nights and on Tuesday, we each have a class related to our fields. Having a class together has been a really fun experience!

That starts the week off well so that when we do watch TV on other days, it feels well earned! Also, we have a couple of favorite news shows and sitcoms that we Tivo so it "contains" our TV watching.

Taking walks in the evening is also a favorite activity - it's just the two of you talking or being together plus it's exercise. I really love it!

Every couple of weeks or so we also head to Borders or Barnes and Nobles...grab some magazines and a drink and settle into some comfy chairs...it's like the library but with coffee/tea and we can talk to each other!
    We already go for walks because we have a hyper little doggy who demands them :laughing4:, I'm not really into the idea of taking a class because I'm at uni and have my fill of classes at the moment, I think we could definitely up the board games though. Thanks for the suggestions, i feel better knowing that other couples fall into the same rut. I'm starting to think that the rut is normal and my hubby and I are only sick of it because we are just a little bit hyper as well:blob4:
    Fine, very porous 3a
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Throw a kid into the mix...that'll really change things up! :laughing4:
    Hubby & I have been getting some fun, relaxing time lying in bed watching the boob tube...last nite was football! pointstosky.gif
    My schedule is quite ka-razy...so we take what we can get...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Hubby & I have been getting some fun, relaxing time lying in bed watching the boob tube...last nite was football! pointstosky.gif

Hahaaa we HAVE been talking a lot about kiddies recently...probably as soon as I finish my degree :sunny:
    Fine, very porous 3a
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My evenings are a bit crazy busy trying to make something for dinner, then supervising homework, bathtime, cleaning up the kitchen, whatever else I need to get ready for the next day.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Rent a movie, board/card games, bowling, pool, bar/club(not often on weeknights but sometimes they have weeknight specials on drinks)

We wish we had another couple friend for gamenights and dining out with...
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well it usually consists of dinner, cleanup, playtime with the kiddos, and getting them off to bed (by the time this is done it's usually 9:00). Then it's usually either back to some work or just watching t.v. which we find is relaxing.

When we didn't have kiddos...we would watch t.v., work in the yard, take the dog for a walk. I took a scrapbooking class once and loved it.

Hahaaa we HAVE been talking a lot about kiddies recently...probably as soon as I finish my degree :sunny:
    Well, you know, the practice part is always fun... :joker:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Do any couples have actual hobbies that they participate in together?

The idea of watching tv every night would drive me insane!

spidey....hubby & I have done projects around the house...landscaping, painting, flooring, etc... :dontknow:
    Tho I do know whatcha mean!
    0004.gif

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    My husband and I both love working out, but we don't really go together anymore since one of us usually goes while the other is home with our son.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Yea I would be interested in some ideas. I wish I was more athletic, I've tried playing tennis with him but I'm awful and it's really not that fun, especially for him, lol. Poor guy tried to get me to play video games with him, and I just don't get into them.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator

My husband is into Astronomy and I sometimes go outside with him on a good night. We often read the same books and discuss them or watch TV or movies. We really don't do the same thing all the time. Some nights everyone just does their own thing (TV, gym, reading or whatever).
  • mandatoryfunmandatoryfun Posts: 878Registered Users

When we're at college my BF and I are so busy with our own things (school, work, gym, extracurriculars) that we're usually pretty exhausted once we get to see each other in the evenings. Pretty much every night we just snuggle and talk about our days, which suits me just fine. :) Sometimes I have homework dates with him when I want to stay with him but have too much work to do.

When we have more time to ourselves during breaks we like to cook together and/or go out to eat, go for walks, tell each other stories. We also watch TV, but we generally despise television. There are only a handful of shows that we like, so it feels like we're more invested in it, in a way (weird though it sounds).

Sometimes I like taking fun day trips with him on the weekends to a nearby city. Just to check out some museums, a show, or even just to go. Usually we're pretty exhausted afterward, and doing something new and exciting for one whole day makes the rest of the week seem less dull in comparison. Those trips make us really WANT to veg out.
    CG since 07/26/09
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Haha... exactly!! Our evenings have changed quite a bit now that we have a 3 week old.

I was going to say that we used to have evenings that there were shows we would watch (like the Thursday night line-up), and the other evenings we would either watch a movie or play a board game or dominoes, or play a video game (either something on our Wii or maybe Mario Party on the Gamecube).

Now we have an itty bitty newborn baby and we're trying to get on some sort of routine. So we try to eat an early dinner and get ourselves upstairs between 8 and 9pm to help him settle. We'll watch tv in bed while one of us (usually hubby) cuddles the babe or I nurse him. Hubby goes back to work -- for his 3 days a week -- on Sunday. He won't get home until around 8pm so I don't know what we'll do those evenings.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users

Before kids, yes we did, but now, by the time we get them off to bed it is 10:30ish and we typically fold laundry and watch TV
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    My husband is the cook in our family, so he gets dinner ready while I hang out in the kitchen with him, usually drinking a beer or a glass of wine.

We have dinner together with the tv off so we can catch up on our day. After that, we do usually watch some tv while playing Scrabble or trading Trivial Pursuit questions. (We're dorks. :D )

I don't want to do much in the evenings. I prefer to be glued to my couch. I do have choir on Wednesdays and book club once a month, but other than that, I'm on my couch and my husband's on his couch.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    goldy wrote: »

Haha... exactly!! Our evenings have changed quite a bit now that we have a 3 week old.

I was going to say that we used to have evenings that there were shows we would watch (like the Thursday night line-up), and the other evenings we would either watch a movie or play a board game or dominoes, or play a video game (either something on our Wii or maybe Mario Party on the Gamecube).

Now we have an itty bitty newborn baby and we're trying to get on some sort of routine. So we try to eat an early dinner and get ourselves upstairs between 8 and 9pm to help him settle. We'll watch tv in bed while one of us (usually hubby) cuddles the babe or I nurse him. Hubby goes back to work -- for his 3 days a week -- on Sunday. He won't get home until around 8pm so I don't know what we'll do those evenings.

Awwww! Congratulations! You guys sound like such a cute family.
    Kids would great, but for me I'm not sure "I'm bored" is a good enough reason to start popping them out just yet :laughing4:
    Fine, very porous 3a
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For a while, the guy I was dating was teaching me to wrestle; it was fun!
    bananahump.gif
    0004.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file