Animal Friendly-CG Products List

MegaraMegara Registered Users Posts: 424
I wanted to start a list for my own sake, and for whoever else wanted it, a list of CG products/brands that are not tested on animals. I'm trying to wean out all produts tested on animals if I can (buh-bye Suave and Herbal Esscences). So if you all are willing to oblige me, add to my list.

Here's my short list thus far:
Activate Hydrating Condish
Jessicurl everything
Curl Junkie (some things I THINK-might be wrong- have cones, so let me know)
Curly Hair Solutions everything
pw:curls

To quote wild_sasparilla:
'Thou shaketh it a little and it feeleth alright.'

Comments

• DumbelinaTheDaftDumbelinaTheDaft Registered Users Posts: 93
    Deva doesn't test their products on animals.

Burt's Bees doesn't test their products on animals either. The conditioners are all CG (although some contain proteins). Their shampoos are sulfate-free and could work for a modified CG routine.

Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner is also CG and not tested on animals.
    2c/3a
    Love: Burt's Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Conditioner, Boots, BRHG
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Batia & Aleeza gel
    Ouidad (not all products are CG)
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • snap catsnap cat Registered Users Posts: 72
    Thank you so much for this thread :D

AG ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink]) say they don't test on animals
    Curls
    Faith in Nature conditioners (UK - all are vegan too)

One I'm not sure about - Original Source conditioners, as a company they do not themselves test on animals but are owned by one that does. I personally will not buy from them for that reason, but you may make your own mind up on that.

On the other side, nothing from Boots (UK) - they test on animals routinely :evil:
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
    Current likes: Too Shea!, WDT, Curls Milkshake, Re:coil, Curls Spiral Cream, CCSS, - not all at the same time :D
    pw: miaow - updated 2006-10-04
  • suessues Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thanks for this thread Megara, it's hard enough trying to find CG friendly products.but even harder for the non animal tested one's.
    Most of the products here in the uk are a no no.
  • snap catsnap cat Registered Users Posts: 72
    sues - we can get Curls and Jessicurl over here now ( Link )

Also, Aveda's Elixir Leave-in is CG, and I learned a couple of days ago you can use their Be Curly cream if you also use a cleanser with coco betaine in it (like both Jessicurl cleansers).
    3b? Who knows!!
    Very modified-cg.
    Current likes: Too Shea!, WDT, Curls Milkshake, Re:coil, Curls Spiral Cream, CCSS, - not all at the same time :D
    pw: miaow - updated 2006-10-04
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites by Fantasia
    3b-3c CG
  • MegaraMegara Registered Users Posts: 424
    Ohhh! I'm so excited! Thanks for everyone's help! Keep adding!
    I'll research into more stuff as I have time, and post it on this list.
    I'm really glad that I'm not the only one this is important to. You guys ROCK!

Activate Hydrating Conditioner
    Jessicurl Everything
    Curly Hair Solutions Everything
    Curl Junkie products
    Deva Products (coco-betadine removable cones)
    Burts Bees Conditioners (really excited about this one!!)
    Trader Joe's Spa Nourish Conditioner
    Batia & Aleeza gel
    Ouidad (check for cones, I'll research more later)
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Recoil[/buylink] (YAY!)
    Curls products (not all are CG,again-I'll research ASAP)
    Faith In Nature Conditioners
    Aveda Elixir Leave In
    Aveda Be Curly (removable with coco-betadine)
    IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel By Fantasia
    Nature's Gate Conditioners
    Abba (check for CG-ness)
    Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel
    Giovanni (check for CG-ness)
    Beauty Without Cruelty (check for CG-ness)

ETA:corrections, new stuff

snap cat wrote:
    sues - we can get Curls and Jessicurl over here now ( Link )

Also, Aveda's Elixir Leave-in is CG, and I learned a couple of days ago you can use their Be Curly cream if you also use a cleanser with coco b
    etaine in it (like both Jessicurl cleansers).
    Hi snapcat, I have already placed my order on the naturalfrizz website,but thanks anyway. It's great now we can get Jessicurl isn't it.
    At the moment I am using Curls milk shake am quite impressed.have ordered [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]rockin ringlets[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]weekly deep conditioning treatment[/buylink],cant wait to try them.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    Megara wrote:
    Curl Junkie (still not sure about CG friendly-ness)
    Curls products (are these ALL CG?)

CJ is CG friendly. Taken from their website:
    Some of the conditioners contain a silicone (Dimethicone Copolyol) however it is a water soluble form of Dimethicone. All conditioners contain water soluble ingredients and can be used as "conditioner washes". Both pomades contain some beeswax, however the amount used is minimal and therefore acts as a humectant, not a heavy coating wax. Our products do not contain any fillers, lanolin, paraffin, mineral oil, or artificial colors.

Not all of the Curls products are CG, but I believe most are.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    Thanks Gemini13 for your info!

• sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    Hi,

I know neither of these companies test on animals, but I don't know if everything is CG friendly:

Abba products are vegan and there are a ton to choose from. You can find them at Ulta and some Trade Secrets stores.

Beauty Without Cruelty-found at Whole Foods.

HTH,
    sherry
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    Health food stores have lots of cruelty-free products and alot of them are also CG.

A few I have tried

Kiss My Face (a wonderful styling gel)
    Dessert Essence (they have a great shea conditioner!)
    Nature's Gate
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Registered Users Posts: 341
    When I was scoping out condish's at GNC, I noticed that Giovanni products are also cruelty-free.
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
    Thanks girls! I'll add them to the list!

• sherry7899sherry7899 Registered Users Posts: 897
    Here are some more:

Alba products (available at Vitamin Shoppe)

Regis products (at least the Olive Oil ones)

I have some products from Sally's (Beyond the Zone) that say they do not test on animals.

I also noticed that my tube of Tresseme deep conditioner says they do not test on animals. I don't know if that extends to their whole line though.

Sherry
  • X5-452X5-452 Registered Users Posts: 9
    Avalon Organics (who also makes Alba) doesn't test their products or the ingredients on animals.
    Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls, and just wanted to go to sleep forever? ~Bo Goldman, "The Start of an Education,"
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte
    It seems that Suave animal tests. Bummer. I'll switch that!

I saw on a White Rain bottle that they do not animal test.

I use organic coconut oil, and that is animal safe
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Freeman Papaya and Lime Overboard Shine conditioner. I just found it (finally!), and I'm happy to report that it is CG and the company does not test on animals.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • KurlyPinkKurlyPink Registered Users Posts: 38
    Thanks for the list Ladies!

Does anyone know if there is there an animal friendly alternative to Boots Curl Creme in the UK?
    2c/mostly 3a/some 3b, strawberry blonde, long
    Aussi moist conditioner, John Freida Frizz-ease curl gel, Boots curl creme, solid coconut oil, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls aloeba conditioner, lavender oil spritz
    KurlyPink wrote:
    Thanks for the list Ladies!

Does anyone know if there is there an animal friendly alternative to Boots Curl Creme in the UK?
    Hi KurlyPink, I have now stopped using boots curl cream after becoming a member of the BUAV and finding out what animal testing involves.
    Am at the moment using curls curly Q's milk shake and have just got [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]confident coils[/buylink], I got them all from

http://www.naturalfrizz.co.uk

I know they are a lot more exspensive than the Boots cream, but they are natural products and I am not funding any animal testing companies so its worth it.
    Sue
    How about ReCoil instead of Boots?
    I've been totally animal testing free for a month now!

All my VO5 conditioners say "This product not tested on animals." I don't know if this extends to the company though.

• specialkay2727specialkay2727 Registered Users Posts: 47
    i've been trying to switch to all products that are animal friendly and also more natural. I don't really like the thought of using a lot of chemicals on me. Whole Foods has a pretty good selection of products iv been looking into. Thanks for creating this list! Anyone have any suggestions for a good co wash? I just purchased the 365 citrus grapefruit conditioner from whole foods. It was 1.99 for 16 oz. It smells really yummy too!
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    i was sad to see the avalon organics lemon clarifying had not one but TWO cones......so i learned my lesson, health food store doesn't mean cone free...returned!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file