CurlTalk

Specialized Diets

tinymandolintinymandolin Posts: 157Registered Users
Does anyone else here have a very specialized diet?

I, for example, have a 100% dairy-free diet. That means no:

- milk
- milk solids
- cassein
- whey
- lactose

So on and so forth and you get the picture...

So whenever I go shopping, I have to check the ingredients. It took me fifteen minutes once to find a bread I could have when I first had to start dairy-free. And when I go to restaurants, I either have to have read the menu ahead of time or find something I know that is free of any dairy at all.

The good part about this is I eat lots of grains and fruits and vegetables. The bad part is I miss cheese and ice cream and chocolates...

So is there anyone else who has a specialized diet? Anyone who is dairy-free? Anyone else understands the challenge of telling people, "I can't have that" and then explaining when they want to know why? Or listening to people who say, "Oh, I couldn't do that!" Please join with me here... there's gotta be at least one other person on this board!

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Iara does, but I haven't seen her in a while.

SpringCurl is a vegan, I believe, and there are a few others here.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    May I ask if it's for a health reason or an ideological reason?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Tinymandolin,

I totally relate to your post because for the last 5+ months I was on a VERY restricted diet - because I couldn't swallow properly. I've only had the restrictions lifted last week. Dietary restrictions are a real pain in the A$$ and you can end up feeling really deprived.

Are you lactose intolerant? Can you take Lactaid tablets?

I'm just so sorry, because I know it is difficult. I know about reading labels and having to explain your situation to people.

I hope your situation improves! Wishing you all the best....
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • cypressmomcypressmom Posts: 236Registered Users
    I'm prediabetic, so I eat a very low carb/high protein diet. When I nursed my son, I couldn't eat any dairy and it was harder than not eating carbs.
    CypressMom
    3A - I think!

I like to use, but not all at once: :)
    Wash: V05 Tea Therapy or CJ Daily Fix
    Condition: CJ Curl Rehab (apply as needed, not daily)
    Style: CCCC Lite, CIAB, and BRHG. KCCC is my #1 product
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I'm lactose intolerant so I don't eat dairy either! Have you tried ezkiel 4:9 bread? lactose free baby!!!

I do have my setback though as in last week I was craving pizza so bad, and i got my wish, but I really regret it now as my body still hasn't recovered.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • tinymandolintinymandolin Posts: 157Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    May I ask if it's for a health reason or an ideological reason?

Health reason, I have dairy sensitivity. Dairy makes me sick beyond belief. :puker:

Curlypearl -- Thanks for the well wishes! It's good to hear that your restrictions got lifted recently. As for me, mine is something I have to learn to live with. But it could be worse! There's all sorts of other things to be allergic to that could throw a real wrench in the wheels of life. :happy7:
  • macluanmacluan Posts: 326Registered Users
    I am sensitive to cow dairy, wheat, barley, apple and corn. I used to be sensitive to soy but now seem to be okay. Actually when I was first tested about fifteen years ago there were more foods that I couldn't eat than I could. I can use some sheep and goat cheese.

I totally feel your pain about reading labels. I pretty much just buy whole foods and when I do try to find something prepared I target foods with just a few ingredients. It's definitely more labor intensive but my health is worth it. I was able to eat spelt but lately either spelt or yeast is bothering me so I've stopped eating it until after tax season. I plan to take another ALCAT soon to see how my sensitivities have changed.

As far as dining out, I try to find a couple of good restaurants that know what they put in their food and frequent them. I know it sounds funny saying that they know what is in their food but many restaurants buy so much stuff that is prepared or partially prepared that they don't know. I just don't eat at those places.

Good Luck!
  • JordaniaBabeJordaniaBabe Posts: 22Registered Users
    My younger sister has Celiac Disease... Which is a wheat intolerance. Basically, she can't have wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, kamut, durum, or anything else that is a wheat derivative. When she was first diagnosed, it took us forever to get used to grocery shopping, because all her gluten-free foods (made with rice, corn, or potato flour, usually) are extremely expensive. As we got more used to it, it got a lot easier. There are plenty of foods that taste exactly like or very close to their original gluten-filled counterparts.

As for eating out, lots of restaurants have gluten-free menus that you can ask for either by calling ahead of time or asking at the restaurant before being seated. Chili's is a personal favorite of hers. ;)