Finally got it to work! Before/After Pics

qhoneyqhoney Posts: 12Registered Users
So after a rough start, I finally think I have my system down. I think I was overconditioning in the beginning and my hair was on frizz overload. I decided that I should low-poo about every 3 days and then co-wash/rinse out only one conditioner. I was originally co-washing with Suave Naturals Coconut, then using Garnier Triple Nutrition as a rinse out, THEN using a dab of the Suave as a leave-in. It was TOO much for my hair. Now I low-poo with Abba Pure Curl Shampoo, then co-wash with Garnier Triple Nutrition and then rinse all but a little out. Then I scrunch with gel (I alternate between HETT and Abba Pure Curl Gel). Diffusing really helps bring out my curls. Anyway, here are the pics...

This is me a year ago (before CG)
swedenhair.jpg

This is me a few days into CG...
Hair007.jpg

And this is me now...
100_0959.jpg
100_0958.jpg

Comments

• katie-didkatie-did Posts: 7Registered Users
    Those are some gorgeous curls! :O Lovely to the extreme. Funny, 'cause I was just thinking that I was overdoing it with the conditioner. My hairs going frizzy but at the same time my curls seem... heavier? Not sure how to word it. Tonight I co-washed, rinsed out and just dabbed a tiny bit out of leave-in on the ends of my curls. I'm hoping it settles down and stops freaking out, if not, I may start low-pooing as well.

I also found it amusing that my hair is almost the same colour as yours. :) Did you find that yours darkened after going CG? Cause it seems like mine is getting into a slightly deeper shade of red -- which I don't mind at all. :) I always wanted to see what I would look like with more red and less orange hair. And, so far, I'm enjoying the subtle changes in it.
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,041Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    WOW! Seriously - wow! I keep scrolling up and down, up and down. What an incredible transformation! B.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l curls! I always point newbies to the before and after pics for inspiration.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47609

You should post these over there...hint hint. :wink: Your curls are truly inspirational!!!!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • CurlyinCarolinaCurlyinCarolina Posts: 44Registered Users
    Your curls are so defined and shiny!!! I love when curls are shiny :love7:
    New to CG so still have a lot to figure out!
    3b,fine, medium to high porosity
    Products: VO5 for CO wash and rinse out. Instead of leave in CO, I use tresemme curl creme to moisterise and prevent frizz. Tresemme curl care gel, and pantene curl locking hair spray.
  • dianambrinkdianambrink Posts: 1Registered Users
    This is the best example I have seen so far as to how well the CG method works. I am excited to get further along now! (I'm only a few days in)
  • adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    WOW ghoney you have some very pretty hair :) Its such a pretty color too! I love how shiny your curls are, you can see a very noticeable difference in your hair!
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.
  • qhoneyqhoney Posts: 12Registered Users
    katie-did wrote: »
    Those are some gorgeous curls! :O Lovely to the extreme. Funny, 'cause I was just thinking that I was overdoing it with the conditioner. My hairs going frizzy but at the same time my curls seem... heavier? Not sure how to word it. Tonight I co-washed, rinsed out and just dabbed a tiny bit out of leave-in on the ends of my curls. I'm hoping it settles down and stops freaking out, if not, I may start low-pooing as well.

I also found it amusing that my hair is almost the same colour as yours. :) Did you find that yours darkened after going CG? Cause it seems like mine is getting into a slightly deeper shade of red -- which I don't mind at all. :) I always wanted to see what I would look like with more red and less orange hair. And, so far, I'm enjoying the subtle changes in it.

Its hard to say if the color has changed. A couple years ago, I had bleached my hair completely out and then when I got tired of that, I colored it back to my natural color. So that first picture is me still with the blonde coming through. The blonde is finally all gone so I've been coloring it a darker shade of red for a year or so now, but only sporadically. The color now should be my true color as I have not colored my hair in about 3 months (and then red color fades almost immediately). The moral of the story is that I have not seen my natural color in ages so I will have to get back to you :)
  • qhoneyqhoney Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks for all the great feedback. By the way, my particular hair only gets that curly when I diffuse. Today, I let it air dry and it still looks great, just not quite as curly. Also, I think for me, a stronger hold gel works better.
  • 85MR285MR2 Posts: 226Registered Users
    qhoney, your hair is GORGEOUS! Curls, color, all of it! It looks great. :)
    katie-did wrote: »

Before you low-poo I recommend trying either a lighter co-wash (if you use something creamier to wash), and/or adding some lemon juice to the cowash now and again to clarify. I wash with VO5 Tea Therapy Chamomile. I added some lemon juice the other day to clarify and it felt super light and clean. Also, hair can take up to 6 weeks to adjust to CG. Personally, I would give it the full 6 weeks before trying the low-poo, and use it only as needed. A lot of modified CGers low poo once every couple of weeks. (Also, double check you don't have any hidden cones building up...)
    CG since 2/23/10!

2B 3A mix, fine texture and high porosity at crown/bangs, normal elsewhere. I like protein!

Trying to grow out a short haircut.

WASH: Jessicurl Cleansing Cream (once every week or so)
    CONDITION: Jessicurl Too Shea! or Aloeba Conditioner
    STYLE: Jessicurl Gelebration Spray/Awe Inspiraling Spray

http://public.fotki.com/85MR2/ (PICS OF CG TRANSITION SO FAR) Need to update. No pics with the Jessicurl products yet, but I LOVE them!
  • katie-didkatie-did Posts: 7Registered Users
    85MR2 wrote: »
    Before you low-poo I recommend trying either a lighter co-wash (if you use something creamier to wash), and/or adding some lemon juice to the cowash now and again to clarify. I wash with VO5 Tea Therapy Chamomile. I added some lemon juice the other day to clarify and it felt super light and clean. Also, hair can take up to 6 weeks to adjust to CG. Personally, I would give it the full 6 weeks before trying the low-poo, and use it only as needed. A lot of modified CGers low poo once every couple of weeks. (Also, double check you don't have any hidden cones building up...)

:) thanks, I'll give it some more time and think about adding some lemon juice if it gets out of hand. I wish I had my products with me... but I'm at school right now. I might be able to find them online though...

Haha, found them all online! The last one seems to have slightly different ingredients than the bottle I have at home, although they... should be pretty close.

Nature's Gate Organic Collection, Chamomile and Lemon Verbena Moisturizing Conditioner.
    Water, Lippia Citriodora (Lemon Verbena) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract*, Cucumis Sativs (Cucumber) Seed Extract*, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract*, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract*, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract*, Panthenol, Bisabolol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Simmondisa Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Cetyl Esters, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Polyquaternium-10, Alcohol, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Phenoxyethanol, Citric Acid, Fragrance.

Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Conditioner;
    Aqua (Purifed) Water, Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia) Oil, Peppermint (Mentha Piperita) Oil, Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Officinalis) Oil, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomilla (Anthemis Nobilus Flower), Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), C12 14 Oleifin Sulfonate (Coconut Derived), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Chloride (Sea Salt), Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived)

Okay, the last one is... Pure and Natural Daily Light Conditioner. These are the closest ingredients I was able to find online, although I remember that mine had slightly different ones...
    Aqua, Cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, Pinus divaricata (pine) extract, Pinus banksiana (pine) extract, Chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, Blechnum spicant (fern) leaf extract, Urtica dioca (nettle) leaf extract, Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) leaf extract, Trifolium pretense (clover) flower extract, Acetic Acid, Olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, Curcurbita pepo (pumpkin) seed oil, Beeswax, Lathyrus odoratus (sweet pea) flower extract.
    Instead of the Acetic Acid, it said it had 'Apple Cider Vinegar and/or Pineapple... something vinegar'. I thought it would make a good co-wash because of that, since apple cider vinegar is suppose to be clarifying and the whole thing was PH balanced. Anyways, it's close enough I think.

This routine is making my hair a little odd, but my scalp is definitely loving it. I had a bit of a dry scalp before, and was using head and shoulders to relieve itching, now, it's wonderfully happy. :P Oh, for styling, I'm using the HEBE set me up gel, which I found was CG friendly on this site.
  • chobiechobie Posts: 11Registered Users
    Lovely! This gives me hope for sticking to the CG method. :)
    Began CG 03/13/2010. No CG cut yet.
    CO: Avalon Organics "Lavender Nourishing conditioner" & honey
    Cleanser (1 X ea wk): lemon juice & CO
    Product: Curl Keeper
    Styling: No brush, no pick, no dryer. Just my fingers, gravity, and God. :smile:
  • LoveFriedaLoveFrieda Posts: 52Registered Users
    Oh my goodness gracious! Those are beautiful curls! I am thinking of low pooing because I am not getting te results I wanted to when I started the cg method. I think I'm going to post a thread on that. You know what? I'll do it right now.....
    2b-2c ~~ Fine-Medium Hair ~~ High Porosity ~~ Normal Elasticity
    CG AS OF 2/16/10
    Now use low-poo....AWESOME RESULTS (switched 3/28/10)

Low-Poo: Giovanni TTT Shampoo
    Rinse-Out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Stylers: LA Looks Sport Gel

Current methods: Icequeen Method, then plop for 30 minutes (diffuse if needed)
  • xfactorgloryxfactorglory Posts: 9Registered Users
    So beautiful! Whats your routine?
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,471Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Wow. Gorgeous shiny hair!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file