CurlTalk

When does a TWA lose the TW and become just an A?

cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
I mean when I chopped, compared to the amount of hair I had before, I thought I had a TWA. Now here I am a few months later and I still feel as though my hair is teeny and weeny sometimes, especially when shrunken. Wondering when [if] I officially graduate from this phase?

Thoughts ladies??
:::::::joie de vivre:::::::
last relaxer: November 2008
big chop: November 2009
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

Comments

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    This is a good question. I would like to know. Is there a minimum on changing the designation?

I call mine a BAA (Big A** Afro) because I saw that abbreviation about a year ago on this site. My hair is about chin-length stretched but it shrinks a lot. When I wash, go and fluff it is big as hell, so I am going with BAA. I say define it yourself! (I am having a girl-power day lol) Just call it your 'Fro!
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • FreshlyCurlGirlFreshlyCurlGirl Posts: 37Registered Users
    Ooh! I've had this thought a bunch of times. Everyone seems to refer to what I think of as just an Afro as a TWA. To me a TWA is 1-4 inches and something that you cant do much with except wash-n-go (Except some ladies who can braid or twist the heck out of anything). I would say I have just an Afro and when I BC I had about 5 inches and now my 6th month anniversary I should have about 8+ ( I haven't measure in a bit). But really I agree with a previous post that you have to define it for yourself and call it when you want.
    4a on sides/3c on the top and middle
    LOIS:OS hair pattern, (Cottony?) texture.
    Porosity:Normal-Porous
    Products
    Clarify/ Wash: Wen sweet almond mint cleansing conditioner
    Reg poo:VO5 strawberry and cream
    Co wash: Mane n' tail deep conditioner
    Moisturizers: Shea butter/ Olive oil/ Texture my way Curl Keeping Moisturizing Hair Lotion
    event.png
  • nicole.nicole. Posts: 74Registered Users
    I always thought the TWA stage was over once you can put your hair in a ponytail. =/

• afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    nicole. wrote: »
    I always thought the TWA stage was over once you can put your hair in a ponytail. =/

+1. By definition(don't askme from where.. somewhere on line) a TWA is an afro that is not yet long enough to put into a ponytail. My hair won't fit into a pony, but it's not because it isn't long enough, It just refuses to lay down and cooperate.
  • AimWardAimWard Posts: 192Registered Users
    cassadie3 wrote: »
    I mean when I chopped, compared to the amount of hair I had before, I thought I had a TWA. Now here I am a few months later and I still feel as though my hair is teeny and weeny sometimes, especially when shrunken. Wondering when [if] I officially graduate from this phase?

Thoughts ladies??

I'm no expert but judging from your fotki, I'd say you've graduated from TWA. I think you're somewhere between TWA and BAA (if you were to pick it out, you'd probably be closer to BAA).
    I like my gels light, my oils heavy, my conditioners thick, and my curls long...
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    I had the very same question. Hey, I think once you get more that 3 inches you have probably passed the TWA stage. I think some people who have a lot of shrinkage may feel like they have a TWA though. I know I did.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    When left in its shrunken state I have a TWA, my hair shrinks down to 1-2 inches, Im hitting APL stretched lol
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
    I think you leave TWA and go to the Baby Fro. I think a baby fro is something you can do more than wash and go with and a headband no longer looks crazy with.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    nicole. wrote: »

this is my definition as well. once you can make your first puff than your're officially out of the twa stage.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • Runna4LifeRunna4Life Posts: 112Registered Users
    I feel like I'm JUST getting past the TWA stage, sort of. I have 3.5 inches right now, and it shrinks down to 1 inch, which I hate, so I always pick i out and style into a afro puff, which stands at 2 inches.

But, my WnG's are a no-no, because it's grown out so much, it's mis-shapen from when I BC'd.

For my hair, I think I will completely be out the TWA stage in March
  • alysiasusaealysiasusae Posts: 13Registered Users
    I say you no longer have a TWA when you can two stand your hair and they lay down on their own

Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    Due to shrinkage I'm still a TWA...stretched I'm past my shoulders.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    Depends on how you see it. My hair is just a fro when it's freshly styled, but it shrinks to a TWA. If you count shrinkage, I'll have a TWA for the next 10 YEARS!! LoL!

Jen :D

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

+1

Curse you iPhone!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Posts: 1,913Registered Users
    I just thought it was the ponytail thing.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users
    My perspective:
    TWA - 1-4 inches
    Baby fro - 5-7 in.
    Regular fro - 8-11 in.
    BAA - 12+ in.
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    I just call my hair a small fro. If I'm being honest, I have no idea what x inches of hair looks like and don't measure mine.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • snappynappysnappynappy Posts: 1,262Registered Users

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

I am around APL but when shrunken...dear GOD it shranks.:?
    I havent figured out how to add pictures..:angry7:

V05
    Suave Humectant
    Giovanni

:happy3: conditioner junkie:happy3:
  • RadNaturalRadNatural Posts: 31Registered Users
    when you can ponytail it-- for me. I currently have about 7 inches and can easily use a scrunchy to pull it back...after it's been stretched. I have not worn my hair out in a month, so my hair must be pretty big. My bangs are to my nose now! and the back is shoulder length stretched :)
    Current length: 7"
    Type: 4a/4b

event.png

event.png
    I can ponytail mine easily now. I think I have a regular fro now. :)

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

• seamonsterseamonster Posts: 81Registered Users
    I can pull the back of my hair into a teeny puff, but not the front, so I guess I have a ways to go. Thanks for the definition
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    I don't really get my hair. My last relaxer was Sept 2010 and I big chopped May 2011 and have since cut off maybe a total of 3 inches of hair. My hair's certainly not teeny weeny anymore, but I can't get it back into a ponytail for love or money! Not even 2 pony puffs (left/right OR front/back - unless I keep my fringe out of the attempted puffs)! I suppose it's a good thing as if I could, my hair would never see the light of day again!

Snapshot_20120704_1.JPG
    Semi-stretched hair.
    Ah well! My hair refuses to let me be lazy!
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • LovemenappyLovemenappy Posts: 332Registered Users
    I think when it becomes a ponytail
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    I considered my hair an afro when i could pull it back into a ponytail, like most others up here.

Apple now owns my soul...sent from my iPhone.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I thought you outgrew the TWA when you had to pineapple to sleep?
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • anonymous_114091anonymous_114091 Posts: 126Registered Users
    It depends on the type of hair, to me. Some hair types cannot fit into ponytails even when past shoulder length, so I think it would be more practical for those to judge by the amount of inches their hair is or by the length of their twists. Others with looser textures or hair that isn't as thick may choose to judge by fitting their hair in a ponytail, but I must tell you that I have seen naturals with hair that is fine and/or lacks density fit what I consider a twa into a ponytail.
    *BIG CHOP: September 22, 2012* :afro:
    *Last Relaxer: April 15, 2012* :p

event.png
  • NaturalRemedyNaturalRemedy Posts: 371Registered Users
    I think it's something like...if you are able to grab a piece of hair and twist it or braid it then it's not a TWA anymore. I felt out of the TWA phase after growing out my hair for 8 months.
    Mostly 3c and lovin' my curls

This is not a fashion trend, it's not a statement, it's pride for who we are and what we look like. And that is where our true beauty shines.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcocoalily%2F" class="Popup
  • curlymuffincurlymuffin Posts: 29Registered Users
    artemis513 wrote: »
    My perspective:
    TWA - 1-4 inches
    Baby fro - 5-7 in.
    Regular fro - 8-11 in.
    BAA - 12+ in.

I like that. So I guess I'm in the baby fro stage.
    Just a Lurker...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] :love7:
    artemis513 wrote: »
    My perspective:
    TWA - 1-4 inches
    Baby fro - 5-7 in.
    Regular fro - 8-11 in.
    BAA - 12+ in.

Can't WAIT for that BAA action to kick in! LoL!

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸