CurlTalk

Black women should wear wigs to work and fit in

Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dvbbdey96TJ8%26amp%3Bfeature%3Dplayer_embedded" class="Popup

I found this video on youtube. I don't know if it has already been posted or not. I posted it on my blog but I haven't gotten any comments on it so I decided to post the video here.

If you want to see my comments I posted them on www.lifestarbeauty.com
subbrock wrote: »
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

Comments

• geodegeode Posts: 70Registered Users
    I could only watch about 2 minutes of the nonsense before I had to turn it off. This is not a solution. If anything it keeps perpetuating the idea that our hair in its natural state (particularly the kinkier/drier hair types) is not acceptable. Yeah, it is nice to fantasize that black women everywhere would cut out off their relaxed hair and begin to wear it natural, thereby forcing the world to accept what is. But guess what? That ish ain't gonna happen and telling us to go out and buy "12 wigs" is not the solution and is quite frankly - laughable....smh
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    Can't believe this guy.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    lol...well-intentioned, but misguided.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

• Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    kalane wrote: »
    lol...well-intentioned, but misguided.
    LOL right... I truly believe his heart was in the right place. Half of me was like "WTF???" and the other half of me was like "Bless his poor little misguided heart"
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• newbraidernewbraider Posts: 207Registered Users
    It seems like he is just saying that if you are perming your hair just to fit in at work, buy a wig and wear your natural hair under it. Then take that wig off when you get home. It's kind of modest proposal-ish.
    Hair type - 4b :: Current Length - Zilch inches
    Umpteenth (+1) big chop - December 5, 2011
    Weight loss goal tracker :: Lost 12 pounds
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    This guy is a damn fool.. LOL! He had the nerve to say... "They the ones crazy.. not us!" Um... he TOTALLY sounds crazy. LOL!

I don't understand this whole "fit in" thing. If you are doing your job well, minding your business, at work on time, treating others with respect on the job, and look work appropriate.. errr... what other "fitting" in do you need to do... LOL!

Um.. what about those women of color that don't do braids, don't loc, and their hair can't fro.. um.. are we supposed to wear wigs too ?

Look, nothing is wrong with wearing a wig..but hiding your hair around "the white man" isn't going to solve anything... I mean give me a break.. if someone wants to discriminate against you they will..and well even if black women wear wigs all the time.. guess what.. they are still black so if that's really the underlying problem.. a wig isn't going to change that at all!

There are MORE important things that affect American blacks then errr.. hair care. LOL!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    This guy just told me to go cut my hair, braid it, afro it, or loc it, then go get a series of 12 wigs... so I can fit in. And then take it off when I get home.

Well if I'm gonna do that, why can't I just relax my own hair and call it a day?

Um, it's not the white people that are crazy. It is the guy talking in this video that is crazy. LOL
  • CatalyzteCatalyzte Posts: 1Registered Users
    I just found this, lol. I found another video (now pulled), where a guy is railing on women for wearing anything but natural hair. So there are just as many AGAINST the very same thing. I'll never understand why people all over just can't wait to tell others what to do (or not do), instead of leaving them alone to make their own decisions.

We are all treated a certain way from the moment we are born. So we can't truly be objective...but that's life.

I wear them and love them, but it's MY decision, *shrug*.

I think it's not about the wigs, but we should stop watching YouTube, LOL. Too many haters hating each other.

:read2:
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    Smh, what a foool :thumbdown:
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    "'cuz these are all wigs by the way..."

Noooo, really?? :confused5:
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    YouTube - African Hair Racism

I found this video on youtube. I don't know if it has already been posted or not. I posted it on my blog but I haven't gotten any comments on it so I decided to post the video here.

i KNOW this is a joke. i just refuse to believe he's being serious. no way :sad3:
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    did he say 12 series of wigs?:laughing9::laughing9::laughing9:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • dmarie21dmarie21 Posts: 213Registered Users
    turtles wrote: »
    did he say 12 series of wigs?:laughing9::laughing9::laughing9:

Same thing I was going to post! LOL
    My Fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fdmarie21%2F" class="Popup
    Porocity: totally sinkable
    Texture: fine to med fine (stand size pic)
    Products I Like: Qhemet--Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee, Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm mixed with Burdock Root Cream, Vatika, apple cider vinegar rinse, Baba de Caracol, CON Argan shampoo
    Searching For: better understanding of what my hair is all about
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    keenyme wrote: »

i KNOW this is a joke. i just refuse to believe he's being serious. no way :sad3:

I know! Its soooo campy!
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • blackguitargirlblackguitargirl Posts: 492Registered Users
    Smh, what a foool :thumbdown:

this! :thumbdown:
    4a/4b
    last relaxer dec. 2007
    BC dec 29, 2008
    :headbang: 4 years natural!
    Music blog :hiding:
    Writing blog
    My Book: The Lost King
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    keenyme wrote: »

I know! Its soooo campy!

like, no joke... i thought he sounded like a slave. not even w/ what he was saying (eve though that took us wayyyy back to the 1800s), he actually SOUNDED like a slave(well, a somewhat educated one), or some character you'd see in a movie about slavery/segregation days... i just can't believe he really speaks and thinks like that
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    Unless I was starting a new job and they had never seen my natural hair, I would feel more uncomfortable wearing a wig because they would know my hair doesn't look like that...

Why am I creeped out by this?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    So where can I get a "Baker's Dozen" of wigs?

Everybody cut your hair OFF! No head left behind!
    Letcha hurr grow like LIVESTOCK!
    Getchu a SET uh twelve wigs...one for each month!
    Stay natural upunda it!

Why we haven't TOOK such an approach?

Exactly. Let's do this!
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    :banghead:

He's joking. I KNOW he's joking. I couldn't even watch the entire thing; his voice drove me insane. Sorry. I'm an English major.

In cases where men who are serious try to give me advice on my hair, I shut them down anyway. You don't know my hair!

But yeah, if I knew this guy and he wasn't kidding... :evil4:

Series of twelve wigs. Oh my god. I can't even.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    So -- who's for a sanity test to post a youtube??
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    elevate wrote: »
    Synthetic wigs do not last as long as human hair, under continuous use, so you would find it best to get a real hair wig if you want to wear it every day. If you want to be able to change the styling you must only have a human hair wig. Synthetic wigs cannot be restyled successfully since use of hot hair dryers or curling tongs will damage or melt the hair. To summarise the very best choice in wigs is a real hair lace wig. It is relatively expensive but will last for a long time if used with care.

Yeah. Imagine how much TWELVE of them would cost. :tongue6:
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • mekahwbbmekahwbb Posts: 109Registered Users
    This guy is a damn fool.. LOL! He had the nerve to say... "They the ones crazy.. not us!" Um... he TOTALLY sounds crazy. LOL!

I don't understand this whole "fit in" thing. If you are doing your job well, minding your business, at work on time, treating others with respect on the job, and look work appropriate.. errr... what other "fitting" in do you need to do... LOL!

Um.. what about those women of color that don't do braids, don't loc, and their hair can't fro.. um.. are we supposed to wear wigs too ?

Look, nothing is wrong with wearing a wig..but hiding your hair around "the white man" isn't going to solve anything... I mean give me a break.. if someone wants to discriminate against you they will..and well even if black women wear wigs all the time.. guess what.. they are still black so if that's really the underlying problem.. a wig isn't going to change that at all!

There are MORE important things that affect American blacks then errr.. hair care. LOL!
    So -- who's for a sanity test to post a youtube??

+1 to everything marah said especially the bolded.
    And i am so for it Suburbanbushbabe lol!

This man sounds plum crazy! :confused2::tongue7:

event.png

Around apl but going to wl
    coily, wavy, tightly curly, kinky, nappy hair:toothy4:
    Natural products are the bomb.
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    What kind of tomfoolery is this? LOL. I couldn't even listen to the whole video and I kept muttering "ignorance" while listening to the little bit of the clip that I did.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fpapiermachecurls" class="Popup

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • MzKyeMzKye Posts: 58Registered Users
    I don't get why this man thinks a wig will end racism in the work place.. I don't get why he wants all black ppl to cut their hair and be natural.. Why do we have to be against the opposite of what we prefer?? I am natural yet I don't think everybody else should be... I believe that all ppl should have the freedom of choosing what they want to do to themselves without others dictating what they should do...if u go natural.. Thumbs up... If not... Thumbs up again..

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
    "You never find yourself until you face the truth."-- Pearl Bailey

:afro: :wav: :blob2:
  • BrinstarrBrinstarr Posts: 90Registered Users
    This made my eye twitch.

...It still has not stopped.
  • CurlsOnPinkyCurlsOnPinky Posts: 67Registered Users
    im pretty sure he is saying that if you feel the need to fit in at work and look "professional" (like many black women do) then why not just buy a wig? there isnt a need to "fake the funk" when you punch out. why put your hair thru all the extra stuff.
    as u can see, im still learning! :thumbright:
  • LaBeauteBoucleLaBeauteBoucle Posts: 92Registered Users
    im pretty sure he is saying that if you feel the need to fit in at work and look "professional" (like many black women do) then why not just buy a wig? there isnt a need to "fake the funk" when you punch out. why put your hair thru all the extra stuff.

+1

I get what he's saying but at the same time the underlying question is why can't natural hair be considered professional enough in the first place? I know a bunch of naturals who don't have to hide their kinks and curls underneath an odd assortment of wigs so why should any one else have to? Is he trying to say natural hair (braids, locks, twists and all) isn't professional? I could understand not wearing a nasty matted fro to the office but if my hair is perfectly styled can I still not rock it? :confused:

After we've cut off all our relaxed hair like he suggested and it's grown out into beautiful curls are we still supposed to tuck it away under artificial hair and raise our kids to do the same? Will we ever be able to let our scalps breathe? I don't think this guy was thinking long-term enough cuz if so he'd better be willing dish out the cash to pay for wigs for all our bald heads smh :neutral:
    ~MBL curly w/ mostly 4a with a patches of 4b in the front and lil 3c sprinkled in the back~

-I like my men like I love my hair... kinky :afro:

Co-Wash: VO5 Anti-Breakage Conditioner and VO5 Strengthening Conditoner
    Rinse-Out: Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave-in: Suave Naturals Conditioner
    Moisturizer: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Cream
    Styler: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
    Sealing Oil: Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil
    DC: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users
    :sad3::crybaby::goofy:
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • coco_bunnycoco_bunny Posts: 216Registered Users
    After we've cut off all our relaxed hair like he suggested and it's grown out into beautiful curls are we still supposed to tuck it away under artificial hair and raise our kids to do the same?

Exactly! What's the point in going natural if you going to hide all your hard work?
    BC ~ August 2010 ~ GOAL ~ hip/tail bone length :love4:
    Current Length: 12 inches
    TWO YEARS NATURAL! :occasion1:
    3b/3c VERY naturally porous hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users
    should the men get a set of 12 toupees?

BM-Toupee%20002.jpg

BM-Toupee%20001.jpg

terry_crews_as_president_camacho__2_.jpg

1322521938_cb7a6fdc34.jpg
    chihuahua-toupee-350x450.jpg

yes, why not let all of the men wurk a jawb wearin' they toupees while the womminz can be natchrul at home? ...safe away from the Others bien sur.:happy9::happy4:

"these crazy peepul"eh?...so I guess I have to keep my wig on around my crazy othery husband :albino: and some family members too. cr*p!

With this brilliant plan, I'll have a wig on most of the time! Or a half wig. hmmm, not sure how this all shakes out.:lol:

I guess I can show my real hair to our usual UPS guy.:occasion9:
    "What can BROWN do for you today?"

‪MADtv - delivery boy I‬‏ - YouTube
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums