Straightening Question

curlyerin27curlyerin27 Posts: 14Registered Users
Is there a way to keep hair healthy while still straightening? I straighten my hair with blow dryer and flat iron twice per week and then run flat iron through my hair once a day. But I find that this can dry my hair out and then breaks off and does not grow (I am currently trying to grow my hair out to BSL, currently SL). Is there a way to do this and still keep my hair healthy?
Type: 3A mostly with some 2C
Shampoo: Suave Naturals Lilac
Conish: Suve Naturals Coconut
DT: Rainforest Shine
Product: ION fizzing foam mousse
Tresemme Curl Activator Spray )not CG)
Length: Shoulder Length but growing to BSL+

Comments

• tinymandolintinymandolin Posts: 157Registered Users
    Unfortunately any heat damage is still heat damage to the hair, especially when most flat irons never go below 325 degrees and are on average about 425 degrees in heat.

So think of it this way: can you iron the same shirt every day with a 425 degree iron and not see/feel the after effects? [Being color fadage, weakening of the fabric, wear and tear...]

If you are set to heat style and use a flat iron at least once per day, find the best flat iron spray you can. Unfortunately there are not nearly enough flat iron sprays that are good quality AND CG, because most sprays will have dimethicone in them. This is to give the smooth, glossy look and mask the damage the heat does to hair.

This is why so many people think flat-ironing improves the condition of their hair--it's simply the dimethicones in their sprays which coat the hair up to temporarily seal split ends. But the truth will always be there at the end of the day: when your hair is naked and has no product in it, the damage is often very clear.

So I would say no, there is definitely NO "safe" way to straighten your hair every day. There are steps you can do to try and reduce the damage: using a high quality heat protectant, flat ironing as little as possible---2x a week at most if you must, and a protein treatment even 1x a week to try and strengthen the hair, since so much of the hair's cuticle is lost through consistent, regular damage.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You are doing way too much straightening to keep it healthy!!! Have you ever tried wrapping your hair at night? When I straighten my hair, I use a flat iron for the most part and don't need to touch up at all just by wrapping my hair at night. I can keep my hair straight for about 2 weeks and it still looks pretty fresh- but I have naturally dry hair.

So the only way to keep it as healthy as it can get is really to stop straightening it everyday.
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file