CurlTalk

Ingrown hairs and dark spots

murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
This has probably been a thread of some sort, but I'm going to do this anyway.

I'm going crazy, I have tried shaving, using an epilator, and waxing. None of these have stopped ingrown hairs and dark spots from coming. I've bought the bump medicine, it doesn't help. I've tried acne medicine, witch hazel, none have helped. I exfoliate my skin with a scrub before I do any of these...and still get ingrown hairs and dark spots. Am I just doomed to be hairy? The hair looks better than the dark spots and ingrown hairs. grrr!
tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg

Comments

  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    Have you tried using an electric shaver? They don't shave as closely as blades do, so you're less likely to get ingrown hairs. Also, you need to exfoliate regularly, not just before you shave or wax.

    Other than that, I got nothin'.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    Have you tried using an electric shaver? They don't shave as closely as blades do, so you're less likely to get ingrown hairs. Also, you need to exfoliate regularly, not just before you shave or wax.

    Other than that, I got nothin'.

    Technically my razor I use has batteries...lol.The electric shavers are the ones that look like they have holes in them right?


    Ex foliate everyday?

    I did the acne medicine thing and it made my skin peely everywhere, it was very scary..as I only applied it onto the ingrown hair bump.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    I feel you, I'm lazy about exfoliating everyday. Mine are long my bikini line and before I knew they were ingrown hairs I just thought they were pimples or some other rash. Have you tried tendskin? I use this right after waxing but I still get them. I think you are suppose to use it regularly.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I have the same problem along the bikini line. I'll be watching for advice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    turtles wrote: »
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    Have you tried using an electric shaver? They don't shave as closely as blades do, so you're less likely to get ingrown hairs. Also, you need to exfoliate regularly, not just before you shave or wax.

    Other than that, I got nothin'.

    Technically my razor I use has batteries...lol.The electric shavers are the ones that look like they have holes in them right?


    Ex foliate everyday?

    I did the acne medicine thing and it made my skin peely everywhere, it was very scary..as I only applied it onto the ingrown hair bump.
    Yes, and they usually plug in to recharge.

    Yes, I would exfoliate every day. If you're just talking about ingrown hairs along your bikini line, you might also try wearing different underwear, such as boy shorts that don't have elastic around the legs. I find that bikini underwear that have elastic around the legs make ingrown hairs worse because they press down on the skin.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    turtles wrote: »
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    Have you tried using an electric shaver? They don't shave as closely as blades do, so you're less likely to get ingrown hairs. Also, you need to exfoliate regularly, not just before you shave or wax.

    Other than that, I got nothin'.

    Technically my razor I use has batteries...lol.The electric shavers are the ones that look like they have holes in them right?


    Ex foliate everyday?

    I did the acne medicine thing and it made my skin peely everywhere, it was very scary..as I only applied it onto the ingrown hair bump.
    Yes, and they usually plug in to recharge.

    Yes, I would exfoliate every day. If you're just talking about ingrown hairs along your bikini line, you might also try wearing different underwear, such as boy shorts that don't have elastic around the legs. I find that bikini underwear that have elastic around the legs make ingrown hairs worse because they press down on the skin.

    hmmm nice tip i do love bikini panties, I guess I will try that, I also have them around the top, that might be from the low cut of the panties..
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • tinymandolintinymandolin Posts: 157Registered Users
    So I see you mentioned you have done waxing. How often did you get waxed??

    Here's my experience with waxing, but if you have done all of this and saw no change, I apologize if it's a bunch of old rubbish to you:

    Did you wax every 3-4 weeks for an extended period of time, refusing to shave at any point? At first it is challenging if you are used to the no-hair-look, but I waxed my underarms once a month for a straight year--mostly because I could do it for free when I worked in a salon, and also because I liked the end result-- and I was able to go 3 weeks with little to no growth and the amount of hair the grew back, even to this day, diminished quite a bit. The no shaving is really key here, because the longer the hair is, the more the wax can 'grip', the cleaner the removal, and the less likely ingrown hairs will occur.

    This is because sometimes in waxing, when you tear out the hair from the follicle, you can damage the follicle to the point where hair will no longer grow from that follicle. If that happened anywhere other than the under arms and bikini/brazillian, that would be AWFUL, but if you are like me... the less hair there, the BETTER! I say damage it and let 'em bleed if I'll never see a hair there again!

    Also, when you wax, you really only have to do it about once a month, give or take a few days depending on how quickly hair grows. Like I said earlier in this reply, I noticed far less ingrown hairs from waxing in my own personal experience. You will definitely see a difference in the amount of hair that grew at one point before waxing and the amount that your growth reduces to, even after two or three months of regular waxing...

    Just some food for thought to consider if waxing might be something you give another shot... :wink:
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Yes I did waxing as in I never shaved previously and I got dark spots from it. Then when my hair grew back I tried epilating and it was very painful and eventually I got dark spots and then like one ingrown hair AND then I just gave up and shave and now i have a huge ingrown inflamed hair and dark spots, so having no hair isn't really appealing when your skin looks awful. :angry2:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    im just brown to hyperpigmentation ive accepted it

    if the man in my life cant deal he can find someone else

    i thought this was about facial hair that's my real issue because everyone can see that

    i dont shave my bikini or underarms the hair becomes way to coarse it's not worth it

    i wax i sometimes get ingrowns sometimes i dont
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    yea my "man" can find someone else too:rambo:. I swim so I wear bikinis and swimsuits alot, right now I'm around a bunch elderly men and women so there not really looking. :thumbup:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg