a flaky situation...ew

Ok, I've been CG for 3 weeks now. Here's the weird thing: I'm now noticing a bit of flakes. I've always tended to notice I get a bit flaky when the weather gets colder in Chicago and since it's been frigid here lately, I'm assuming it's just that. BUT I normally took care of this with a dandruff shampoo...but I can't use that now. I also thought a moisturized scalp like you get with CG should eliminate flakes? It's not bad, but I have dark hair so I feel like it's really noticeable. SO, any solutions to dandruff that isn't a dandruff shampoo? And has anyone else had this problem?
3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    A number of curlies have recommended using tea tree oil for this. Mix a few drops into your conditioner before you do a co-wash.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Registered Users Posts: 2,729
    Gemini13 wrote:
    A number of curlies have recommended using tea tree oil for this. Mix a few drops into your conditioner before you do a co-wash.

Dammit. I wish I would have read this before I purchased a bottle of Tea Tree (sulfate) Shampoo 2 hours ago for my flaking problem. I could have purchased the oil instead. Ah well.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    When I went through a greasy/flakey phase while starting CG, I swore by Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner.
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    where can i find teatree oil? i've never purchased anything like that before. oh and what's the cost like? i'm a poor starving college student. :(

• EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    It would probably be more cost-effective to buy a conditioner that has a lot of tea tree oil.
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    where can i find teatree oil? i've never purchased anything like that before. oh and what's the cost like? i'm a poor starving college student. :(

You can find it in health food stores, and at places like GNC and the Vitamin Shop. It's not expensive. I think I just bought an ounce for about $8, and you use so little of it at a time that it lasts a long time.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
    I got mine at Wal*Mart. It was not $$$, but I can't remember how much.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Registered Users Posts: 264
    Thanks! I can always count on you guys to have the answers! :D

• edotedot Registered Users Posts: 1
    hi. i also love nature's gate tea tree conditioner. i buy it at whole foods markets. i think it's about $8 for 18 ounces.
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    I wonder if the brown sugar scrub in the CG book would help?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    I had the same problem. You don't want to use sulfates because that will just make it worse (from my experience). I found that using harsh cleansers just temporarily cleans the scalp but at the same time, it dries it our tremendously and this encourages more greasiness/flakes to emerge.

So Tea Tree Oil is your best bet. Because its an oil and not so harsh. I only apply it to my scalp with my fingers then massage it in affected areas. Also I co wash frequently- like everday. Sometimes I will go 2 days b/t co washes. I find this helps me. Also when you co wash- scrub thoroughly! I use my fingernails and kinda scratch/scrub my scalp to make sure I get all the flakes off. Its kinda like manually exfoliating! Sometimes before I shower, I'll scratch the itchy areas well to loosen the flakiness. So this I get a head start on the cleansing.
    hth
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • cunninghamaircunninghamair Registered Users Posts: 178 Curl Connoisseur
    I use jojoba oil, just a few drops, and massage into my scalp at night. That will help with a dry scalp. Got me off of neutrogena t-gel completely.
    Modified CG since 9/03. 2B/3A. JESSICURL!!! Gentle Poo, Aloeba, Gelebration, Awe; or Mop Top Poo & Condish; Curlisto Mousse & Gel I. Winter: Elucence MB Clarify, Shampoo & Conditioner. ACV & honey rinses. Plop & Pixiecurl diffuse. Password: curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file