Meeting new friends after 40

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,133Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Where do you meet new friends at this age? So many of my friends have moved out of state and my closest friend died, so I'd like to make some new friends. I'm willing to try houses of worship, although I'm not very religious so I'm not sure how well that would work.

I've been going to "meetups" for mystery book lovers and I enjoy that but I'm still feeling lonely quite a bit. I have a great love of fashion but find that when I go to a fashion meetup, everyone is in their 20s, 30s. Same with clubs for interior design and psychology. I guess I could try classes of some sort. I've been wishing I had some sort of hobby, like knitting or crochet but I never really glommed onto that. Novel ideas and approaches that have worked for you would be really appreciated! Where do you meet people in our age range?

Thanks in advance!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• kasdenkasden Posts: 1,042Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's passing. I can't imagine how difficult that must be for you.

I've met some very interesting people our age at cooking classes. Whole Foods has some. You might also try some wine tasting events.

Local colleges usually offer great summer courses. How about a photography class? Or an upholstery or furniture refinishing class (to go along with your interest in interior design). Make new friends and pick up a fun hobby!

Glad to hear you're getting out there and trying!!!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,133Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks Kasden. There's a Whole Foods 3 blocks from me. I'm definitely going to look into that. Really good ideas. I have to branch out and try new things. Thanks again.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,342Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know where you live, but here on long island (ny) the school districts offer great, inexpensive adult ed classes that are fun, informative and a great way to meet friends. the local colleges here also offer community courses, same idea.
    do you like any activities, like hiking, dancing? these are also great ways to meet people. sounds like you already know about meetup.com.
    sorry about your friend. my best friend died a year ago january, so i know how difficult it can be, especially if it was a friend you talked everything over with. but i will tell you this -- my life experience has been that nature has a way of filling the voids, different ways, of course, but good. just keep doing what you are doing, putting yourself out there and you will find new friends.
    good luck!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Thanks Kasden. There's a Whole Foods 3 blocks from me. I'm definitely going to look into that. Really good ideas. I have to branch out and try new things. Thanks again.

You're welcome! I'm excited for you!!! Have fun and please keep us posted!

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    rbb thanks. My best friend was closer than my sister to me. I empathize with you.

I'm going to look into the schools. Thanks so much for the response!

Kasden you are encouraging me with your enthusiasm.

Thanks to both of you!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,566Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm sorry about your friend.

The cooking classes are such a great idea.

I also recommend having a Facebook account. I have found so many old friends that I now get together with once in awhile. We have a blast. I even re-met my 4th grade boyfriend. : )
    I've also made new friends on Facebook. Not total strangers really. Most are friends of friends or friends of my sister's. I met up with some at a birthday party last week.

I also meet lots of people walking on local trails. You often see the same folks walking by and after awhile it becomes easy to talk to them.

Good luck. And in the meantime make sure you do things that you enjoy, even if you have to do them alone. Never give up things you love!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    Sorry to all who have lost dear friends. Remember, celebrate their lives, embrace their legacy and cherish their memories....

Toastmasters is a great way to meet people if you enjoy reading, researching and presention to groups of people. It offers the chance to meet people with similar likes and dislikes in a controlled setting.

Crafting classes offered at Michaels or Joannes is another place to meet people in a safe and fun place.
    :happy10: I love the suggestion on cooking classes.
    You can carry the cooking classes over to include weekly pot lucks. Design a new menu each week based on the previous weeks class. As an example say a Thai menu each attendee makes a Thai dish or soup to be served at the get together. :happy10:

:blob7:Adult Community classes are awesome. Find something new you;d had always thought about learning, pick the class and you have an instant, safe play to meet people with similarities, works for me.:blob7:
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'VE been invited to China, where I hear people will at least stare at me, so maybe they'll turn into friends.

Just kidding.

CP, I know you need practical advice, but I just want to say that you're such a sweetheart I can't imagine you without a swarm of bffs.
    Oh Ninja, you are too cute and funny. My 2 best friends now are out of state (sob).

I'm getting great ideas and advice from everyone here. Thank you, curlies! I just have to make more of an effort. I'm considered very friendly but actually I'm quite shy, even though logically I know there's no reason to be shy.

I am encouraged! Onward :blob7:
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,483Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you like gardening or flower arranging, you might want to look into joining a garden club. Those tend to have older members - in fact, you might need to look for one with unusually young members!!

If you enjoy exercising, join a gym/health club. Depending on the time of day you go, you'll meet people of different ages.

My local library offers classes, lectures and seminars on different topics - your may do the same.

And if there's something you're interested in, try volunteering. For example, I love to garden and I volunteer at Longwood Gardens - a famous garden nearby. While there I meet lots of people.

My township offers bus trips to different locations - to NYC for shows, to various parks/gardens, events. Perhaps your has something of interest to you which would allow you to meet folks....

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Thanks, 2Poodles! I hadn't thought of the library - great idea! I'm definitely going to volunteer again - I used to do it in a hospital, and maybe I'll volunteer elsewhere also.
    Wow - these are great ideas! Now I want to get out and try new things and meet new friends!!

I like meeting friends through other friends. I've been involved in a couple of different dinner clubs where we met once a month and whoever is hosting that month invites a couple of their friends to join. Maybe you could start something like a movie club, invite a few friends over and have them bring friends.

You're going to have so many friends you won't know what to do with yourself!!!

ninjadog should go to China - she'd be very popular there!

• Curly_Cajun_FemmeCurly_Cajun_Femme Posts: 342Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Thanks, 2Poodles! I hadn't thought of the library - great idea! I'm definitely going to volunteer again - I used to do it in a hospital, and maybe I'll volunteer elsewhere also.

Pediatrics can always use volunteers to read to, play with and just sit with the children while parents are at work or taking a break.....

Some Nursery units use rockers, volunteers, for the wee lil ones whose mommies and families may not get there until late afternoon, and those babies who have no family at all can always benefit from special volunteers.....
    3b /3c
    HG Summer List
    Boots Pink is the bomb on my summer hair.
    Donna Marie MiraCurls
    Poos: KCCClean, JCChealting
    Leave In: KCKT, KomazaCalifia
    Conditioners:AOHR
    Styling: KCCC, BRHG, UFCM, MC
    Deep Tx's: CJCR and LustraSIlk
    Your mind is like a parachute, It only functions when its open.....
    Reality, What a concept.~G. Carlin
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kasden wrote: »
    Wow - these are great ideas! Now I want to get out and try new things and meet new friends!!

I like meeting friends through other friends.

Me too! I was just going to say that. I'm going to join a hiking club and a cooking club myself. Great ideas, kasden.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    if you can travel. being in unfamiliar surroundings forces you to meet new people quick.
    mandyv wrote: »
    kasden wrote: »

I like meeting friends through other friends.

Me too! I was just going to say that. I'm going to join a hiking club and a cooking club myself. Great ideas, kasden.

Sweet of you to say - thanks!

• curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    No one has mentioned church yet, so let me say for the record, the people I enjoy being around most of all are my church friends. In fact, I am much closer to them than my family.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,029Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i think that doing things you like to do is the key. then you meet other people doing things you both like to do. it is fun and not forced. i hike all the time and started my own dog-friendly hiking group since most of the groups in my area (hudson valley of NY) do not allow dogs on hikes. i've met loads of people my age and older, we hike a lot during the week and have loads of fun. i also have "dog friends" and old high school and college friends as well. i play music so i have music friends too and we are a movable community hanging out at fiddlers conventions throughout the north and south. i used to think that without the bars i would have no social life but since i quit drinking (30 yrs ago) i have more friends than ever. it is harder to get the kind of friendship that kids have, where we hang out for hours and stay at each others houses and get to know each other on a level that is not possible with new friends now. it takes time and attention, and we have husbands, jobs, responsibilities for kids or parents--our days get pretty full. it is possible tho to make friends at any age, as long as we are fun to be around and don't kvetch about our ailments all the time (my 60+ age group has a tendency to do that :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • guinnessguinness Posts: 351Registered Users
    banjocurl wrote: »
    i think that doing things you like to do is the key. then you meet other people doing things you both like to do. it is fun and not forced. i hike all the time and started my own dog-friendly hiking group since most of the groups in my area (hudson valley of NY) do not allow dogs on hikes. i've met loads of people my age and older, we hike a lot during the week and have loads of fun. i also have "dog friends" and old high school and college friends as well. i play music so i have music friends too and we are a movable community hanging out at fiddlers conventions throughout the north and south. i used to think that without the bars i would have no social life but since i quit drinking (30 yrs ago) i have more friends than ever. it is harder to get the kind of friendship that kids have, where we hang out for hours and stay at each others houses and get to know each other on a level that is not possible with new friends now. it takes time and attention, and we have husbands, jobs, responsibilities for kids or parents--our days get pretty full. it is possible tho to make friends at any age, as long as we are fun to be around and don't kvetch about our ailments all the time (my 60+ age group has a tendency to do that :)

I love your dog-hiking-group idea! I'm going to see if there's one in my area.

About the bolded, that's good know. I've been going through a rough patch with this. Most of my social interaction with friends involves cocktails, happy hour, wine bars, etc...I don't actually want to give up drinking, but I need to for health reasons, so I will. In the meantime it's causing some social awkwardness.

As for where I've met most of my friends these days, the local music scene, work and friends-of-friends.
  • selfcurledgirlselfcurledgirl Posts: 516Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is such a perfect topic for me. I was sitting here Sunday thinking of what to do and that I don't have as many friends as I would like. One who I could do stuff with is out of state and others busy or not who I would like to spend time with or who dropped me. My husband is away a lot and I would love to make new friends. I tend to be lazy about doing stuff. I tried an over 40 book club but the people weren't really interested in being friends or didn't seem too friendly. But I am going to look into some of the ideas, like cooking. I know how it feels and do feel lonely too much.
    Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
  • xxxxxxxxxx Posts: 94Registered Users
    x
  • teachermrwteachermrw Posts: 269Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's hard. I am a schoolteacher, and nine months out of the year, I am EXHAUSTED. Anyway, perhaps connecting with others via mutually-shared interests is a way to go? Try meetup.com. You may find people in your area who share common interests/hobbies with you.
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I have been making friends through various yoga studios. I have one I frequent regularly and have established friendships outside of class. I can think of two individuals that I get together with often and we touch base via facebook. It's taken me a year and a half to nurture the realtionships, but they are worth it. Best of luck and smile, people are attracted to a happy personality.
    2b/3a.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file