Ruined Picture day

cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
A few weeks back was Picture day at school. This was my son's first picture day so I put extra effort to make his hair look good. Bath before bed, left some alittle in because his hair tends to be frizzy when he wakes up. In the morning spritz it alitlle to detangler, used some gel. When I put him on the bus he had a head full of perfectly formed ringlets.

Got the Pictures in yesterday and someone brushed his hair out!!! So I got a picture of a head full of frizz and hair going in every possible direction.

I had this exact problem when I was going to school. Every year this Teacher's aide would brush my hair out while I was waiting in line every year. Well probably wasn't the same person, but someone always ended up doing it.

I vow right here I will not let my son go through that like I did even if I have to show up at picture day every year.

Comments

• JuicyTubeJuicyTube Registered Users Posts: 2,369
    :shock: Who would brush out curly hair? Even I knew that when I wasn't CG. :( Poor sonny.
    3b-3c CG
  • sassette726sassette726 Registered Users Posts: 694
    Poor kid! I used to freak out on those people if they even tried to come near my hair.
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
  • EilonwyEilonwy Registered Users Posts: 12,391 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm sorry your son's photo got messed up. What kind of person would butt in like that?

Not a parent, but the assistant used to try to *comb* my hair for photos. By the time my hair really started curling, I was 10, so I was able to tell them to get that thing away from my hair. I don't know who would think that combing or brushing curly hair would make it neater, but I guess a lot of people do.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    Eilonwy wrote:
    I'm sorry your son's photo got messed up. What kind of person would butt in like that?

Not a parent, but the assistant used to try to *comb* my hair for photos. By the time my hair really started curling, I was 10, so I was able to tell them to get that thing away from my hair. I don't know who would think that combing or brushing curly hair would make it neater, but I guess a lot of people do.

I know, it's crazy! My friend K and I were talking on the phone the other day, and we got on the subject of the Harry Potter movies and how we hated that her hair wasn't bushy anymore. She was like, "I know! It was like whoa, it's brushed!" I was like :? and said "What?" She clarified that it's been brushed in the later movies, to which I replied, "No, that's the other way around. Remember when I brushed my hair at your house that time and you said I had Hermione hair?" She just said the point was it was tamed. Meh.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • x_tigerlilyx_tigerlily Registered Users Posts: 432 Curl Neophyte
    Do you have a chance to take picture re-takes?
    3C/4A and too long to handle (and afford!)
  • BlissBliss Registered Users Posts: 125
    I sympathize....they did the same thing to my son's tight, coarse curls....ended up looking like Napolean dynamite LOL
    I work for a photography studio that does mainly school pictures. We are not allowed to bring combs or touch the kids at all, but often a teacher or "helper parent" will mess with their hair. It's a no-win situation for us since we get complaints either way....we get asked all the time why we "didn't" fix their kid's hair.

Write a note the next time you have school pics and attach it to the envelope that has your money in it...that way the photographer will know, and hopefully no one at school will try to "help".

Also, go to retakes. If they don't have a date set ask if you can come into the studio. We do this all the time but I'm not sure what the policy is for some of the big companies.
    2c now!. Started CG 12/11/06.Liking Devacurl and Suave these days.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Got the Pictures in yesterday and someone brushed his hair out!!! So I got a picture of a head full of frizz and hair going in every possible direction.

Nothing much to add--only that this happened to my daughter too. People don't get it that it's okay not to comb or brush hair, especially when it's curly!
  • CarolinaCurlCarolinaCurl Registered Users Posts: 12
    I don't know who would think that it's a good idea to use one brush or comb on a whole class full of kids, either. Lice happens to schools all the time!
    Loving the beautiful world of CG! I think I have 2C/3A hair which is desperately aspiring to be a springy 3A. Maybe I'll get there some day!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    They did that to me in 5th grade-the photo is truly hideous!
  • jeamariajeamaria Registered Users Posts: 1,851
    I don't know who would think that it's a good idea to use one brush or comb on a whole class full of kids, either. Lice happens to schools all the time!

I know, it's extremely unhygienic. It's so presumptuous of them, also. And the fact that cympreni made sure her son's hair was well-styled for the day also shows how they equate curly with messy. My hair was always braided as a child, but even in kindergarten I would have not let them come near me with any brush or comb, my mom made sure I understood NO ONE was allowed to mess with my hair at school.

semmens- It's unfair that some parents seem to expect the teachers to take care of their responsibility. How much does it take to make sure your kids look extra neat before they leave for school that day, and give them instructions to stay that way until the pics get taken, which is usually in the morning anyway? If the pictures come out bad (notwithstanding brush & comb wielding teaching assistants) then that's between you and your kid, IMO.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Adding on my former post--we got the photos back and my IL's thought her hair looked BETTER combed out (it looked longer and straighter). Ugh.

I still disagree with combing it out. "Presumptuous" is the perfect word to decribe that (as if I sent my kid to picture day without properly getting her ready!).
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Oh, your poor son! I used to hate picture days as a little girl for just that reason. I have sooo many awful pictures from elementary school where some well-meaning but annoying person thought that combing my hair would help. Not cool! :pale:
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file