Wispy hair when straightened?

botticelli_girl922botticelli_girl922 Posts: 896Registered Users
I tried straightening the other day...low-pooed, conditioned, applied a little leave-in, a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] (not to enhance curls, just to reduce frizz...maybe that was kind of stupid, huh?), and Biolage Matrix Smoothing Serum (which doubles as heat protectant.) I wrapped my hair up in a t-shirt to keep it from drying curly, and when it was damp, I began to straighten it with a Conair Wet-Dry Flatiron. I got it straight within ten minutes, but it stuck out, felt dry and rough, wispy, and was extremely frizzy. It wasn't smooth and shiny as I had imagined it would be.

What went wrong? If I would've straightened it for another 30 mins, would I have gotten the "sleek, straight" look?

Is it the flat-iron? Should I get a better quality one?

Please help! Any suggestions appreciated.
Curl Type: 2c-3a, Medium thickness, Normal Porosity
Weekly Low-poo: TJ Pure Castile Soap
Co-wash: V05 Strawberries and Cream
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm (Possibly HG!), GF Triple Nutrition
Styling Products: CK, Re:coil, JCRR, JCCC, LALMHG, EcoStyler, SMU Spray Gel, Boots

Life has many choices. Eternity has two. What's yours?

Comments

• tinymandolintinymandolin Posts: 157Registered Users
    I would definitely say it's the flat iron in combination with the products you used.

I've always avoided the wet-to-dry flat irons. The best, smoothest hair I've ever achieved on myself or on any of my hair clients has been when we have blow dried their hair to the way we want it to lay -- where we want the part, the bangs, etc -- touched it with a flat iron once it is 100% dry, and used products specifically for sheen and heat styling.

Unfortunately, I've never found a great flat-iron protecting spray without any cones. Usually the products I would use would be a mousse for some root volume, a spray on heat protectant on all the hair, and then a shine serum focused on the ends and kind of worked upward. Run a pick or a Denman through the hair to even distribute the product.

Blow it dry the way you want it to lay, and once it's dry, flat iron in sections, working from the bottom up so you don't go over the same hair more than once with the flat iron. If done properly you should be able to touch hair only once with the flat iron and not have to go over it again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file