A few worries....

moodydovemoodydove Registered Users Posts: 1,721
I went to the hairdresser's yesterday, and the woman doing my hair put me under a dryer for a few minutes so the roots could dry.
Worry #1: I decided to feel my hair, and it felt like steel wool! Fragile too. It was gross.
#2:I'm getting so much breakage and fallout too. Mostly on the right side of my head (where the scalp is more tender).
#3: She's been using a lot greasy product on my hair lately.
#4: The past few times I've gotten my hair done, for a couple of days afterward I can only run my hand through through my hair without it catching about halfway. Then my hand gets caught, and a little breaks. Every time. I dunno if this is because of the grease or because my hair is very fragile now or both.
#5: Generally rough ends.

I want to try henna. But I'm not supposed to be doing my own hair, and my Dad doesn't think you can put henna on hair. A while ago, I was reading about henna on this site, (with no intent of doing it. I saw a lot of people mention it on the boards and I didn't know what it was) and he asked me why I was reading it. And I told him, and he was all "Well, people don't use that for hair", and I was all
"Hmm....well, you can".
Eh.
I also want to try Mega Tek so I can strengthen and regrow the right side of my head, but I don't think my dad would let me (the whole not supposed to be doing my hair thing, among others).
I hate not knowing what to do with my hair. I've messed it up twice, but those were both attempts at heat styling with cheap items I to resorted to when my good ones were taken away/unavailable. I really don't like my hair. Kinda wanna be completely natural already so I can start on caring for it properly now. I don't know about cutting it yet...help. :( I'm sorry for the unorganized nature of this post. I know it's a lot of questions, and very ranty, but I don't know what to do or who to talk to about this. :(
Big chop: 5/30/10
CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
Cleanser: Bentonite clay

Comments

• hamptonsfnsthamptonsfnst Registered Users Posts: 106
    Don't worry moodydove. You've came to the right place for answers. Im sorry no one got back to you sooner. It sounds like you're younger than me with your father having so much influence over your hair. I think during this journey you should educate him also about how healthier natural hair is than chemically treated. Another tip is to watch "Good Hair" together. My bf was amazed at how much women of color spend on the grooming of their hair and how damaging a relaxer is. After viewing this I hope he comes around but back to you. I hope you find the peace and patience you need from sites like this to support you during this change. Another site to check out is www.curlynikki.com. The ladies there are like sisters and they've helped me alot also. Don't fret because you and your hair are beautiful. Later in your transition you fire your stylist. She is using the wrong products on your hair.
  • moodydovemoodydove Registered Users Posts: 1,721
    Don't worry moodydove. You've came to the right place for answers. Im sorry no one got back to you sooner. It sounds like you're younger than me with your father having so much influence over your hair. I think during this journey you should educate him also about how healthier natural hair is than chemically treated. Another tip is to watch "Good Hair" together. My bf was amazed at how much women of color spend on the grooming of their hair and how damaging a relaxer is. After viewing this I hope he comes around but back to you. I hope you find the peace and patience you need from sites like this to support you during this change. Another site to check out is www.curlynikki.com. The ladies there are like sisters and they've helped me alot also. Don't fret because you and your hair are beautiful. Later in your transition you fire your stylist. She is using the wrong products on your hair.

My dad supports me in transitioning, and I even talked to him about getting it cut soon (my last perm was last May, and I only have 1 1/2 inches of relaxed hair left). He's just hesitant to let me try new things with my hair. Anyway, I'll definitely check out Curly Nikki.com and watch Good Hair (I've been meaning to, actually). Thanks so much for the advice! I love this site.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file