Shear Genius show not so genius

dailywavydailywavy Registered Users Posts: 249
Did anyone watch the Shear Genius season 3 episode 5? You can see it on hulu.

The short cut challenge kinda turned me off to the show. They brought out a bunch of girls with great curls and waves (yes they did need moisture but they were great none the less). The challenge was to give them a bob haircut and cut it dry while curly in its natural state. Then they could wash/color and style it but it had to be a sleek bob and they couldn't "touch it up" with their scissors. all cutting had to be done befor they wet it.
I understand the challenge was about dry cutting and handling texture, but why are they always taking the curl out of everthing by going for the dramatic unruled curl to sleek, short and shiny? It was a big bummer to watch! one girl even got the bottom half of her head shaved clear off! that is going to be a bummer to grow out!

Why do they always take the curl out of everthing?! Most of the stylists have curly or wavy hair so they know what they are doing! And i love how they are rocking their own curls but for once i would love for one of them to embrase the models natural texture!

anyone else think so?
2b, 2c / f / ii / medium-high porosity
Vo5-never again, i now can plop!
CG since may 09, and hubby LOVES the new wavy 'tude!
:thumbleft:
products: CV SB, burt's bees more moisture conditioner, co-wash suave naturals coconut condish. FSG, shea hair butter, hair refresher

Comments

• MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    OMG I was gonna start a thread about this! First of all, some of the stylists were saying things like "we have to work with dry, curly hair." Umm not of their hair looked dry. I know I wasn't there, but it just seemed like they felt/feel curly hair was something that needed to be fixed. The woman with that awful reddish hair color and short bob (Idk her name but she's my list favorite person on the show lol) was complaining about the models' hair and her cut came out awful! I mean she balded that woman! I think that was the woman the OP was talking about. Secondly, somebody (maybe that same stylist- I can't remember) was complaining even still about the "tightness" of the curl. Umm seriously, a lot of those women looked like wavies. Those stylists would fall out if they had to cut genuinely tight curls into a bob.

I love the show but that episode was one of the ones where I looked at the majority of the models, thinking "wow, they looked better before!"

ETA: The stylist I was referring to is Brig: Shear%2BGenius%2BSeason%2B3%2BMeet%2BThe%2BStylists%2BBrig.JPG
    comic-p.jpg
  • CurlieTopCurlieTop Registered Users Posts: 345 Curl Neophyte
    I don't watch this show and after hearing this there's no way I'm going to. I am so disappointed after hearing this that I think it's worth a letter to the producers. Obviously it probably won't do much, but it really is ridiculous how curly hair is portrayed. We have so few truly good products as a result... and before finding NC most of us know NOTHING about how to care for our curls, and I blame shows like this.
    ~ curlie top ~
    2C in back, 3A in front, fine to medium texture
    Last time I blow fried: Spring 2011
    Last time I flat ironed: Fall 2010
    Posting and You - A must watch
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I turned it off as soon as I heard they were going to make everyone straight. I was so annoyed. I wanted to see a show where they cut curly hair and styled it beautifully. Why can't we ever see a show like that? Big disappointment.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • MysticSpiralMysticSpiral Registered Users Posts: 1,024
    Hey! I made a thread about this but I think it drowned in the hustle and bustle of the general forum. I liked the episode though, I thought it was ncie that they made the bob wearable both curly and straight, as many like to switch between the two textures.

There was also a curly stylist who seemed like he was doing. As for Brig, she's an idiot anyway, and what's worse, everyone knows it. She's been in the bottom two like every other episode.
    Lady Fand of the Joy Filled Summer Skys in the Order of the Curly Crusaders!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Registered Users Posts: 2,568 Curl Neophyte
    Hey! I made a thread about this but I think it drowned in the hustle and bustle of the general forum. I liked the episode though, I thought it was ncie that they made the bob wearable both curly and straight, as many like to switch between the two textures.

There was also a curly stylist who seemed like he was doing. As for Brig, she's an idiot anyway, and what's worse, everyone knows it. She's been in the bottom two like every other episode.

Hey Mystic,

Do you think the host of the show (don't know her name) is a curly? One day she had big curly hair and flat twists in the front. When I first saw her, I was like OMG she has curls and she's rocking them on the show! But then I had an "ah ha!" moment and wondered if it was a braid out. If that is her hair, its gorgeous. She usually wears it straight or slightly wavy though.

@CurlyTop: I'm disappointed by things like this, but I feel they're to be expected. Not that that makes it ok. But I watch the show b/c I love hair and its entertaining to me. If I was seriously going to write a letter to them, it would be more along the lines of "Excuse me, where are all the black people/stylists on your show? Do we not come with hair?" And I'm not making fun of you here, I'm 100% making fun of them!
    comic-p.jpg
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    Camila Alves, the host of Shear Genius is a natural curly!

http://www.latina.com/beauty/red-carpet/shear-genius-host-camila-alves-talks-hair

She wears it curly mainly when she's off set and her man the gorgeous Matthew McConaughey loves it natural as possible!!!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    I am watching it on Hulu...

April and Brig's model's looked horrible.

And April's attitude after she botched that woman's hair was deplorable...

And poor Brig's model.. my gosh.. the grow out on that is going to be a HOT mess. The haircut in general is UGH! I would have cried and cried.
  • CurlieTopCurlieTop Registered Users Posts: 345 Curl Neophyte
    @CurlyTop: I'm disappointed by things like this, but I feel they're to be expected. Not that that makes it ok. But I watch the show b/c I love hair and its entertaining to me. If I was seriously going to write a letter to them, it would be more along the lines of "Excuse me, where are all the black people/stylists on your show? Do we not come with hair?" And I'm not making fun of you here, I'm 100% making fun of them!

LOL I hear you. (No worries I didn't think you were making fun of me, haha) I think I was just mad when I first read this thread, now I'm like, "Whatever, I love my curly hair :)" It's just kinda amusing to me that contestants on a reality show vying to be considered the world's best hairstylists won't even know what to do with the natural hair of >50% of their clientele. lol ;b
    ~ curlie top ~
    2C in back, 3A in front, fine to medium texture
    Last time I blow fried: Spring 2011
    Last time I flat ironed: Fall 2010
    Posting and You - A must watch

Hey Mystic,

Do you think the host of the show (don't know her name) is a curly? One day she had big curly hair and flat twists in the front. When I first saw her, I was like OMG she has curls and she's rocking them on the show! But then I had an "ah ha!" moment and wondered if it was a braid out. If that is her hair, its gorgeous. She usually wears it straight or slightly wavy though.
    I think she's like Nicole Kidman curly, that is, she is a natural curly, but doesn't wear her actual texture out. She'd wear it straight, or style it wavy or curly with heating tools. But I don't know for certain.
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

Hey Mystic,

I think she's like Nicole Kidman curly, that is, she is a natural curly, but doesn't wear her actual texture out. She'd wear it straight, or style it wavy or curly with heating tools. But I don't know for certain.

lol oh ok. That's like a lot of curly celebs.

@CurlyTop: It is sad but most stylists IRL don't know how to do "highly textured" hair. I think its embarassing. They try to put it on the client like "oh we'll have to charge extra for your hair." Umm why should the client be embarassed? Aren't you a HAIRDRESSER for god's sakes?! You're supposed to know how to do hair. Funny thing though...before I was natural, I was weavie wonder and I came across several stylists that would charge people extra if their hair was straight. I was like ain't that something...the tables are turned lol!
    comic-p.jpg
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte

http://www.latina.com/beauty/red-carpet/shear-genius-host-camila-alves-talks-hair

She wears it curly mainly when she's off set and her man the gorgeous Matthew McConaughey loves it natural as possible!!!

Curly or not, I can't stand her voice!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • kalanekalane Registered Users Posts: 424
    @CurlyTop: It is sad but most stylists IRL don't know how to do "highly textured" hair. I think its embarassing. They try to put it on the client like "oh we'll have to charge extra for your hair." Umm why should the client be embarassed? Aren't you a HAIRDRESSER for god's sakes?! You're supposed to know how to do hair. Funny thing though...before I was natural, I was weavie wonder and I came across several stylists that would charge people extra if their hair was straight. I was like ain't that something...the tables are turned lol!

That's what I hate about so many stylists. They act like you're burdening them by paying them to do your hair.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

She is heavily accented... I guess it doesn't really bother me.. when I first heard her speak .. I guess I didn't expect it.. but I've gotten used to it now.

It's no where near as bad as Rosie Perez though.. her voice has always annoyed me!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Registered Users Posts: 17,502 Curl Neophyte

She is heavily accented... I guess it doesn't really bother me.. when I first heard her speak .. I guess I didn't expect it.. but I've gotten used to it now.

It's no where near as bad as Rosie Perez though.. her voice has always annoyed me!

It's not the accent that bugs me, it's the voice, lol. Even if she spoke with an American accent, she'd still have that voice.

I agree about Rosie Perez, lol.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • tinymandolintinymandolin Registered Users Posts: 157
    It wasn't too bad of an episode... the only frustrating thing is that stylists act like curly/wavy hair is a huge deal, make the client feel bad for getting their hair done, and only giving a so-so cut because they don't want to take the time to make sure it's done well. I used to be a hair stylist and I had a few VERY curly clients who loved when I did their hair. I think the difference was just about being willing to do their hair that made the biggest impact. I was the one stylist out of seven that would do dry cuts.

The rest of the episode had me in tears, though. Something about soldiers off doing service while their wives wait patiently, left me dabbing my eyes for the rest of the show...
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Registered Users Posts: 910

much agreed! I also hate Brig. She completely desetroyed the curly girl's hair.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Registered Users Posts: 1,637 Curl Neophyte

Agreed! She seems nice, but her voice drives me nuts.

I wish they'd bring in Tabatha Coffey to host!
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • ShanaVilloriaShanaVilloria Registered Users Posts: 263
    I watched this episode on my dvr the other night and I have to say, I feel much the same as all of you. At first when they brought out all the beautiful curlies I was sooooo excited! Yay! They're going to do curly and wavy hair! Then she said dry cut, and I got even MORE excited! Woo-hoo! Then a minute later, she said that it will have to be straightened into a sleek bob.... GDI! I couldn't believe my ears! The whole point of dry cutting is to cut the curl in its natural state, to let the curl BE. Not to make the curl into unnatural straightness. gR!.

Photobucket of Babies: http://photobucket.com/VilloriaBoys
    Fotki of Hair through the Ages: http://public.fotki.com/shanavilloria/

CG Since October 29, 2009.
    2A and 3A
    Co-wash:
    GTTT
    Rinse out: DevaCurl OneC, KCKT
    Leave in: Curl Junkie Beauticurls
    Styling: CHS Curl Keeper + KCCC
    u10Jm7.png
    Why is brig still there!?!?!?!
    KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
  • erikaxelectrik7erikaxelectrik7 Registered Users Posts: 90
    What I hate is how the stylist always just HATE to get a model/client with curly hair, and act like every curly-haired girl WANTS to have her hair straightened...I just want to scream at the TV "You're a hair stylist..deal with it! Not every client you deal with in life is going to have nice, straight hair...and not every client is going to want straight hair!! You're never going to get anywhere if you think they do!!" They act like it's suuuch a huge burden to work with curly hair..and get PAID for it. >:(

And most of the time, the models they deal with don't even have hair that's all that dry or curly...and their hair usually looks WAY better curly.

I can't believe Brig won...I wouldn't even let her LOOK at my hair.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    Does this show have episodes online?

I saw the first season but lost that channel so I can't view any new stuff.

Also, this show just reinforces why I refuse to go to stylists. All that training and for what? It's shameful.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file