Natural Deodorant Recipe

Here is a recipe for the deodorant that I make. It works very well and I love it.

1 TBS cornstarch
1 TBS baking soda
1 TBS olive oil
6 drops tea tree oil
6 drops essential oil ( I am using lavendar right now)

Mix together and store in an airtight container. I made a video showing how I make it. You can view it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1cMvYvvo8

Comments

• FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    I am going to have to try this! I find commercial deodorant to be very irritating to my armpits as of lately & I was looking for a natural alternative (because going without deodorant is NEVER an option lol) Thank you for sharing. :)
  • hmixonhmixon Posts: 214Registered Users
    My whole family has used just straight baking soda for 20 years. Works perfectly-

and as a bonus the powder gets on the your sink and counter and you just run a wet sponge over it and that serves as a cleanser too! . Love this stuff!
    med/coarse; porous; 2c & 3c
    protein sensitive
    too much glycerin and some oils give me stringlets

!!! LOVE SPRITZ AND CONDISH !!!!

co-wash: Fructis Body Boost condish
    low-poo: miss my LLL Green Tea, CJDF
    condish/leave-in: DMLI, Elucense MB, KCKT, JCWDT, CJCR, KBB Deep Condish, Marie Dean, Shescensit GTH
    style: faves: KCCC, DMCG, AOMMJ, CGG, Elucence Foam, FSG
    DT: JCWDT, CJCR, SS Deep Condish

My CG Journey: :confused: :banghead:
    :read2: :love1:
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    Here is a recipe for the deodorant that I make. It works very well and I love it.

1 TBS cornstarch
    1 TBS baking soda
    1 TBS olive oil
    6 drops tea tree oil
    6 drops essential oil ( I am using lavendar right now)

Mix together and store in an airtight container. I made a video showing how I make it. You can view it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1cMvYvvo8

I got the stuff to make this today and watched your videa. Thanks for posting this. icon7.gif
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • mochamomentsmochamoments Posts: 18Registered Users
    @curlyhairmichuk, FoxyCleopatra-Great, please let me know how you like the deodorant. My whole family uses it and loves it. My daughter has a very strong underarm odor and I was completely sold when it worked on her.

@hmixon- I have a girlfriend that used just baking soda. I tried that but don't particularly care for the mess I make when putting it on. Plus if I remember correctly it didn't do a great job on me of absorbing the wetness. I will have to try it again to be sure.
    Hi I am loving this deodorant! It really works and is easy to make. Thanks again! icon7.gif
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

Hi I am loving this deodorant! It really works and is easy to make. Thanks again! icon7.gif

Awesome! I'm so glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know. :)
    mocha - just to let you know I am still loving this - works great. No wet patches even after the gym plus cycling! I posted it over on British Curlies and a few girls are trying it there too, so thanks again!
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

• nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    Thank you so much for sharing!

I sweat more than the average person naturally PLUS I'm on medicine that has sweating as a side effect. :angry5: I had to quit my natural stuff and start going back to the Lady Speed Stick.

But you know what? This recipe seems really good. I'll make it and I'll definitely try it when I'm just chilling around at home to see if it works good for me. Store bought natural deodorants are so hit and miss and expensive!
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This looks great.. :occasion7:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • dandydandy Posts: 346Registered Users
    i use it too and I LOVE IT!!!
    2c/3a ? fine/medium iii- tons of it! FL. Suave, TTNG, CJDF co wash, GDLI
    HG- FSG, CK, ReCoil, Aldi shique gelee, ACV, ccclite or fsg 4 2nd day sotc:JCNS
    curl journalhttp://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/curl_forum/viewthread/977/ :bounce:
    event.png

Badge001.jpg
  • CeriCeri Posts: 142Registered Users
    I love this recipe! Thanks for sharing! I don't care for the smell of tea tree and lavender (too medicinal for me) so I used some FO's that I already had instead of my EO's, and now my homemade deodorant even smells better than the store bought ones!:love7:

I also used rice bran oil instead of my expensive extra virgin olive oil that I had in my cupboard, so other oils work well also.

My daughter really likes it too. My husband and I had been using the crystal rock, but it just wasn't strong enough for her and this is. My husband doesn't care for fragrances so I made his unscented and that works fine for him.

I've found that the Gladware XS 1/2 cup/4 oz storage containers from the grocery store are the perfect size for this.:thumbleft:

BTW... I live in the Los Angeles area and its been in the 80+ for over a week now and this recipe really works!
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    I'm going to make it now and try it
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I finally made this deodorant today! I added a bit more cornstarch and baking soda, since the original mixture seemed too oily for me. Now mine has the nice consistency of icing! :blob4: I've had it on all day and so far, I don't smell!
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • angel29ishangel29ish Posts: 800Registered Users
    This looks very interesting. For those of you who use it, does it leave any white residue on your clothes? If you wear a sleeveless top, does it show white residue on your underarms? One more question. Could you use Jojoba oil instead of EVOO? TIA :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, fine, low/normal porosity
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
    angel29ish wrote: »
    This looks very interesting. For those of you who use it, does it leave any white residue on your clothes? If you wear a sleeveless top, does it show white residue on your underarms? One more question. Could you use Jojoba oil instead of EVOO? TIA :)

I make sure it is rubbed in completely before I dress. I haven't had any residue from it. I can't see why you couldn't use jojoba instead of evoo. I have to say it is still working great and I really love it. (I'm heading overseas on holiday at the end of the month and will be taking this - so it'll be a good test!)
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

i use coconut oil, because it smelllls soo good. i have 2 recipes and now i prefer the 2nd one - keep it in a tub instead.

Deodorant http://www.instructables.com/id/Deodorant/

2 T cornstarch (absorbs water)
    2 T baking soda (deodorizes)
    1 T coconut oil (softens)
    a splash of witch hazel (to get the desired consistency)
    5-8 drops tea tree oil
    5-8 drops lavender oil

or runnier one:

2T Cornstarch
    1 1/2T Baking Soda
    1T Coconut Oil
    1T Shea Butter
    1-2t Olive Oil
    1-2T Witch Hazel or water (or both if you prefer)
    1 dropper full of colloidal silver
    10-12 drops of each essential oil you choose
    event.png

Badge001.jpg

I make sure it is rubbed in completely before I dress. I haven't had any residue from it. I can't see why you couldn't use jojoba instead of evoo. I have to say it is still working great and I really love it. (I'm heading overseas on holiday at the end of the month and will be taking this - so it'll be a good test!)

Great! Enjoy your holiday! :toothy4:
    CG - July 2009
    CO/RO/Trt.-Suave, BCB, Tigi OH & MM, EO, CJRehab, SG, DF & CF, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Darcy's, K-Pak, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin, JCWDT, CurlQ
    LI-GDLI, Abba PGC, CJRehab, CF,SG & BCLI, Jasmine's, Bellacurl, SS, Shescentit, DE Coconut, MD, Oyin
    Styler-FSG, Re:coil, CJCCCC lite & CIAB, Komaza CCP & CS, DB, BRHG, Joiwhip/gel, Ecostyler, Boots, SS, Gel-les'c, DMMCG, KCSS
    Too many others to list!
    dandy wrote: »
    i use coconut oil, because it smelllls soo good. i have 2 recipes and now i prefer the 2nd one - keep it in a tub instead.

Deodorant http://www.instructables.com/id/Deodorant/

2 T cornstarch (absorbs water)
    2 T baking soda (deodorizes)
    1 T coconut oil (softens)
    a splash of witch hazel (to get the desired consistency)
    5-8 drops tea tree oil
    5-8 drops lavender oil

or runnier one:

2T Cornstarch
    1 1/2T Baking Soda
    1T Coconut Oil
    1T Shea Butter
    1-2t Olive Oil
    1-2T Witch Hazel or water (or both if you prefer)
    1 dropper full of colloidal silver
    10-12 drops of each essential oil you choose

What brand of coconut oil do you use? Mine has very little scent to it. TIA
    CG - July 2009
    Too many others to list!
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    I will be trying this today! Thanks for posting:).
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
    i got some organic unrefined coconut oil from the health foodstore.. spectrum naturals is the brand :)
    event.png

Badge001.jpg
    I am so glad that the deodorant is working out so well. Thanks for posting the additional recipes.

I have not had any problem with white residue on my clothes. I am very careful when I put my clothes on if my put my deodorant on first. It works just like any other deodorant and will get on your clothes if you rub against your underarm. If you rub it in, you won't have that problem at all. And since all of the ingredients are things you could eat, I think it's ok to rub it in.
    I really want to try this, but I can't get past the Tea Tree Oil scent. I just don't like it. Is there something that I could substitute for Tea Tree?
    CG - July 2009
    Too many others to list!
    you could just try it with the lavendar - that has anti-bac properties too or reduce the 6 drops of tea-tree and compensate with the likes of lavendar
    UK curly

Hair loves protein!
    new pics added Jan 2012

• CeriCeri Posts: 142Registered Users
    I really want to try this, but I can't get past the Tea Tree Oil scent. I just don't like it. Is there something that I could substitute for Tea Tree?

I dont like the smell of tea tree either. I use other scents in mine, and I make my husband's batch without any fragrance at all. This recipe works just fine without the tea tree and lavender EOs.
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
    Thanks ladies! :icon_smile: I used the basic recipe posted by mochamoments using Jojoba oil. I followed your advice curlyhairmichuk and used lavender eo only. It has worked well and held up for the day.
    Ceri, I'm glad to hear that you use other scents. I'm going to try that too.
    CG - July 2009
    Too many others to list!
    Ceri wrote: »

I dont like the smell of tea tree either. I use other scents in mine, and I make my husband's batch without any fragrance at all. This recipe works just fine without the tea tree and lavender EOs.

Right, just baking soda alone can be used as a deodorant, so really anything else is extra. The olive oil works as a moisturizer and the cornstarch helps thicken it and make it smooth. The tea tree oil works as an anti-bacterial and is best for those with a strong body odor.
  • sculptrzsculptrz Posts: 54Registered Users
    Thanks so much for this receipe, Mochamoments! I just used minute amounts for an experiment and it worked overnight and into the day! I get night sweats so it passed the ultimate test!. BTW, since I didn't have any tea tree handy, I used vodka and basil eo, since it has some antibacterial properties. This is a welcome and inexpensive change.
    sculptrz wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this receipe, Mochamoments! I just used minute amounts for an experiment and it worked overnight and into the day! I get night sweats so it passed the ultimate test!. BTW, since I didn't have any tea tree handy, I used vodka and basil eo, since it has some antibacterial properties. This is a welcome and inexpensive change.

You're welcome!! I am just learning about vodka and it's cleansing properties. I think someone told me it cleans toilets well. I don't drink so I don't have any experience with it.

-mm
  • sunshowersunshower Posts: 229Registered Users
    i'm trying this recipe this weekend. i am so frustrated with deodorants right now. i'm allergic to the aluminum in regular deodorant, and even the natural ones i've tried make me itch. thank you so much for posting this! :flower:
    --Tiffany--
    *Reformed PJ*
    3c/4a - coarse and super thick, APL when curly, somewhere around WL when stretched
    http://public.fotki.com/hokukoroku/ - i never update. shame on me :(

Last Relaxer - January 30, 1999
    BC - March 21, 2000

Currently using: AO HSR & GPB conditioners, Vatika Oil, SheaMoisture, homemade African Black Soap shampoo & hair lotion.
    oh yeah kiss my face made me go bright red for some reason.
    love this stuff!
    event.png

Badge001.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file