hi! and a question

X5-452X5-452 Posts: 9Registered Users
Well, I finally reached a breaking point in the struggle to "tame" my hair into something resembling straight hair and found this site in my effort to find out how I take care of and start loving my curly hair.

I've been lurking for a bit and now I registered to say hi and maybe get a bit of advice.

After reading alot of posts I recently got the Curly Girl book from my library and I think it makes a ton of sense, and maybe why I was so unhappy with my hair is because I've been shampooing the life right out of it forever. So I ditched my shampoo and went on the hunt for some products that fit this routine.

I found that Dove makes a clear gel with pvp and with out any silicones (I used to use them alot when I tried to straighten my hair, and I think that must be why I felt like a greasy head all the time and just shampooed more!), but I can't for the life of me find a conditioner with out silicones. The rub is that I don't buy products that have been tested on animals. Dove doesn't, but their conditioners have silicones. I even looked up the Body Shop online (since their ingrediants aren't tested on animals either) but they've got silicones in the conditioners too.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd truely appreciate it.

I read the book about a week ago, and today took pictures with my camera phone this morning. I was really happy with the results and I'm hoping that they last the day (my "straight" styles never did). Check out the WWW link for the pics.
Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls, and just wanted to go to sleep forever? ~Bo Goldman, "The Start of an Education,"

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    We're glad you've joined us!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • X5-452X5-452 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks!

I did some looking around in the product review forum and I went to a beauty supply store. The lady was really nice even if her suggestion was to go ahead and buy a conditioner with silicones in it and use a deep clarifying shampoo. But she had super straight hair and I didn't want to try to explain the no shampoo thing to her. She still helped me read labels and I ended up actually having a choice of conditioners. It was cool. I went with a 100% vegetarian 70% organic not tested on animals (ingredients too) from Avalon Organics. They even sold it cheaper than the company's website.

I haven't used it yet since my hair is still doing pretty good with just being rinsed. I hope it works well.
    Have you ever buried your nose in a mountain of curls, and just wanted to go to sleep forever? ~Bo Goldman, "The Start of an Education,"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file