CurlTalk

Books you're embarrassed you read and liked!

SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
I recently started reading the Georgia Nicolson series... And I'm enjoying it so much, because they're hilarious! Unfortunately, they're geared towards girls like 5 years younger than me. :laughing7:

And the names of the books are all so ridiculous - Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging being the first one. Yeah, the person working the counter at the library gave me a weird look for that one!

How about you guys? Are you reading/have you read any books you liked, but are embarrassing?

"And death is at your doorstep
And it will steal your innocence
But it will not steal your substance
But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey

Comments

• NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    The entire Twilight series.

ETA: These books really were poorly written and very cheesy, and I had no desire to read them the first few years. One day I picked up Twilight because I was bored and ended up reading all 4 of them in 3 days. That's embarrassing enough, but I read them 4 times in two weeks! :p
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • MarcieaMarciea Posts: 148Registered Users
    SCG wrote: »
    And the names of the books are all so ridiculous - Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging being the first one. Yeah, the person working the counter at the library gave me a weird look for that one!

That book has actually been made into a movie and it's really adorable! I watched on an airplane last month.
    3A!
    Low Poo: GTTT, TJ's Refresh

Rinse Out: LVP, TJ's Nourish, GFTN, 365, SSCC
    Styling: HEBE,
    Biotera Curl Cream/Gel, Marie Dean, EW SAJ, Pink Boots, Re:Coil, KCCC, CK
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Marciea wrote: »

That book has actually been made into a movie and it's really adorable! I watched on an airplane last month.

I saw it on tv a little while ago! It was actually what inspired me to read the books. It was a cute movie!

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • CafeAuLaitCafeAuLait Posts: 218Registered Users
    I still have my American Girls books, and I get them out occasionally. Judy Blume books, too.
    Formerly ElsaG
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I recently started reading the Georgia Nicolson series... And I'm enjoying it so much, because they're hilarious! Unfortunately, they're geared towards girls like 5 years younger than me. :laughing7:

How about you guys? Are you reading/have you read any books you liked, but are embarrassing?

I loved those! I listened to the audio versions, and they were great, too.

I liked Marcia Brady's autobiography. :confused5:
  • janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    I had 2 weeks off sick and ran out of reading material - and ended up reading the Twilight books (belong to daughter), and re-reading all of my Nancy Drew books.

It was great entertainment!

And I love the Angus, thongs and snogging film :)
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • mogirlmogirl Posts: 32Registered Users
    Ender's Game. All 8 books in the series. They are in the category for young adult boys. I'm a 26 year old female.

Ahh, but they are so good! Kids battling aliens..and taking over the world!
    2b/3b Cii using Fia system
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Melissa Gilbert's autobiography. I'll admit it, I only read it to see which celebrities she'd slept with. I was like, "Whoa, Half-pint!" It actually was pretty entertaining.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
    No! No!

Melissa Gilbert slept around?

Another illusion shattered.:sad10:
    Sorry, Ninja...
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    I just can't wrap my mind around the idea of someone with that many freckles --- and who wore gingham on a regular basis---being promiscuous.

It's like.....Little Debbie being a stripper, or something!
    Well, I wouldn't exactly say she was promiscuous. She was in relationships with most of the guys she was with. It was just a lot of guys (by my estimation). The stuff about her and Rob Lowe was pretty interesting.

I think it's best if we just forget we had this conversation, nynaeve.
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Percy Jackson and the Olympians...not really embarrassed (I recommend them to all my friends), anything by Marian Keyes. :smurf:
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • mrs.munkeymrs.munkey Posts: 25Registered Users
    Tori Spelling! Stori Telling was hilarious. Mommywood was good too but not as funny. I love reading about celebrities trying to be 'normal'. She almost had it too!!

I too must add Twilight to the list. I just had to know what all the hype was about!!

Now I'm onto Nicholas Sparks books and can't stop reading them... so sad.
    3a/b, high density, fairly coarse, medium porosity and elasticity, mid back length
    Low poo: Suave Moroccan Infusion Shine Shampoo
    R O: Moroccan Infusion Shine Conditioner
    L I: n/a (open to suggestion!)
    Stylers: Suave Luxe Style gel,(open to suggestions!)
    Oils: coconut
    Weekly Rinse: ACV
    Experimenting with: Pantene Curl Defining mousse (meh.), Biolage Curl Defining Elixer
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    Why hello there, Mrs. Munkey!!! I think I know you from somewhere!!! :)

Hmm...sometimes I am embarrassed about the vampire books that I enjoy. The JR Ward ones, specifically. They really aren't that great, but the steamy parts are pretty good.
    :rambo:
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users

I love those books!
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    All books from VC Andrews (that I still own btw!) :oops:

Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the one romance novel I bought. Something about a nightingale or something. But that one too.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    OMG. VC Andrews!!! I haven't read any of those in a LONG time...I will totally be looking for them at the used book store.

I liked the Flowers in the Attic series the best, and My Sweet Audrina was good, too!
    :rambo:
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »
    OMG. VC Andrews!!! I haven't read any of those in a LONG time...I will totally be looking for them at the used book store.

I liked the Flowers in the Attic series the best, and My Sweet Audrina was good, too!

That is the BEST ONE OF ALL!!!
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    I also love the Georgia N books! Laugh out loud funny.

Percy Jackson- adore and they are aimed at tween boys!

Twilight (hate them now but devoured them all in a 3 days)

Judith McNaught- sappy bodice ripper type (Im very sorry to say- but can only take these in very small dosage!)
  • CopaseticCopasetic Posts: 222Registered Users
    I love the Georgia Nicholson series! I even got some friends into it. One is a 25 year old big guy, and he definitely got some weird looks when he went to the library asking where Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants was located.

I also read Twilight and liked it. I would never admit that in real life.
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Copasetic wrote: »
    I love the Georgia Nicholson series! I even got some friends into it. One is a 25 year old big guy, and he definitely got some weird looks when he went to the library asking where Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants was located.

I also read Twilight and liked it. I would never admit that in real life.

that made me laugh sooooooooo much
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwalkintowhispers.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Forgot about this thread until now. I'm so glad I'm not alone!

That's too funny about your friend, Copasetic!

• P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users
    Twilight series

Black Dagger Brotherhood series

Jackie Collins' books

Shopaholic series

Bergdorf Blondes & the Debutante Divorcee by P. Sykes
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users

Hey hey hey... what's so embarrassing about reading THEE best Vampire Romance series EVER written ?? huh huh huh ? LOL! :toothy10:
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Hey hey hey... what's so embarrassing about reading THEE best Vampire Romance series EVER written ?? huh huh huh ? LOL! :toothy10:

Oh god lol! I tried reading the first book. It was soooo cheesy and badly written I cringed the whole way through. For such a 'hard-ass' vampire he sure does act like a pathetic sissy!

Im sorry I couldn't stand it! The characters were so one-dimensional and annoyingly wet! :laughing6:
  • amaliruamaliru Posts: 48Registered Users
    For me, the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, because I inexplicably fall in love with children's books.
  • New2NoPooNew2NoPoo Posts: 13Registered Users
    A knight In Shining Armour by Jude Deveraux I LOVED this book
    Currently using
    CoWash: Suave Naturals coconut
    Leave In/Rinse:GN triple nutrition
    Style:Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Mousse, thinking about trying gel...
    amaliru wrote: »
    For me, the Warriors series by Erin Hunter, because I inexplicably fall in love with children's books.

I find 'teenage' adventure books some of the best out there. I get bit bored with some 'adult' books lol

Probably why Harry Potter and Percy Jackson are and always be some of my fav books ever (along with Meg cabot!)

I got a new bookcase this weekend so I organised all my books finally in one place- I have 28 books by meg Cabot! Its a very pink section lol