How is good quality unrefined coconut oil recognized ?

taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
I mean of course not based on the label (as we know many manufacturers just write whatever they want on their labels).
So how can one really tell ? What should it smell like/taste like ?
I bought a jar of extra virgin coconut oil which has no smell at all, and I'm wondering whether it's just RBD (refined, bleached or deodorized).
I've previously used coconut oil which had a very distinct coconut smell.

TIA

Comments

• FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    I was wondering the same thing because I bought some coconut oil this weekend that has no smell at all. This is just my second time buying it so Idk what to rly expect having had 2 different experiences.
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about coconut oil on this forum. (this may seem off topic but I'm getting to your answer).

Coconut oil comes unrefined/virgin and fractionated/ refined. It is the fractionated kind that is absorbed into skin and hair. The other kind coats the hair and forms a film and does not penetrate the hair easily. The fractionated kind is the oil closest in resemblance to human subcutanous fat and highly compatable with human skin so it won't clog pores.

So it depends on what you want your oil to do when choosing the type of coconut oil you want. If you want to coat the hair used virgin or unrefined. If you want the oil to penetrate the hair use fractionated.

The virgin oils can be found in supermakets and are usually good quality since it will most likely be ingested and the US has strong regulations on the foods we eat. So if you buy it from a trustworthy market it is probably good quaility. It has a pungent smell but should not smell rancid. The refined oil does not have a strong scent or no scent at all. It is cheaper and can be purchased on line at aromatherapy or soap making e-sites and the quality depends on where the vendor gets the oil from. Most will answer any questions you have.

Also, in general, the virgin oil will spoil or go rancid faster than the refined oil.

Taltal, if your oil is claimed to be virgin and it doesn't smell, doesn't turn white or harden when cool then the vendor probably sold you refined oil. But I think the refined oil is better for hair. So try using it, you'll probably like it. Also, if you really want virgin oil for your hair, then use the refined one for your skin. It's great for healing dry or irritated and problemed skin conditions.
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have wondered about this as well. I have some extra virgin coconut oil that I use in my FSG and I also cook with it and it smells soooo good. I've bought the jar of the coconut oil from Walmart some time back (no longer have it) and was wondering about it. It's the LouAna brand and I purchased it because it was so cheap.
    0002670011513_215X215.jpg

Non Hydrogenated
    0G Trans Fat
    Kosher
    100% Pure
    Recommended Uses: Coconut Oil Can Be Used In Place of Butter, Margarine, and Liquid Cooking Oils Ot Saute and to Pan Fry Foods. Excellent For Popping Popcorn. Makes Non-Greasy Tortilla Chips and Taco Shells.
    Coconut Oil Will Become Solid At 76 Degrees Temperature Or Lower and Become Liquid At Temperatures 77 Degrees and Higher

It does not really have a scent. Anyone use this for hair or cooking? Any thoughts?
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    belasuna wrote: »
    I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about coconut oil on this forum. (this may seem off topic but I'm getting to your answer).

Coconut oil comes unrefined/virgin and fractionated/ refined. It is the fractionated kind that is absorbed into skin and hair. The other kind coats the hair and forms a film and does not penetrate the hair easily. The fractionated kind is the oil closest in resemblance to human subcutanous fat and highly compatable with human skin so it won't clog pores.

So it depends on what you want your oil to do when choosing the type of coconut oil you want. If you want to coat the hair used virgin or unrefined. If you want the oil to penetrate the hair use fractionated.

The virgin oils can be found in supermakets and are usually good quality since it will most likely be ingested and the US has strong regulations on the foods we eat. So if you buy it from a trustworthy market it is probably good quaility. It has a pungent smell but should not smell rancid. The refined oil does not have a strong scent or no scent at all. It is cheaper and can be purchased on line at aromatherapy or soap making e-sites and the quality depends on where the vendor gets the oil from. Most will answer any questions you have.

Also, in general, the virgin oil will spoil or go rancid faster than the refined oil.

Taltal, if your oil is claimed to be virgin and it doesn't smell, doesn't turn white or harden when cool then the vendor probably sold you refined oil. But I think the refined oil is better for hair. So try using it, you'll probably like it. Also, if you really want virgin oil for your hair, then use the refined one for your skin. It's great for healing dry or irritated and problemed skin conditions.

Mine is solid, white, and has no smell. The container does not say virgin, it just says coconut oil on it. Got it near the Olive Oil and Grape Seed Oil. I have had so much trouble finding coconut oil anywhere that isn't the petrolatum based kind that they sell in the BSS. I went ahead and jumped on it when I saw it.

Ehh, all this stuff can be such a headache :-/
    Curlykey wrote: »
    I have wondered about this as well. I have some extra virgin coconut oil that I use in my FSG and I also cook with it and it smells soooo good. I've bought the jar of the coconut oil from Walmart some time back (no longer have it) and was wondering about it. It's the LouAna brand and I purchased it because it was so cheap.
    0002670011513_215X215.jpg

Non Hydrogenated
    0G Trans Fat
    Kosher
    100% Pure
    Recommended Uses: Coconut Oil Can Be Used In Place of Butter, Margarine, and Liquid Cooking Oils Ot Saute and to Pan Fry Foods. Excellent For Popping Popcorn. Makes Non-Greasy Tortilla Chips and Taco Shells.
    Coconut Oil Will Become Solid At 76 Degrees Temperature Or Lower and Become Liquid At Temperatures 77 Degrees and Higher

It does not really have a scent. Anyone use this for hair or cooking? Any thoughts?

I posted my reply before I saw yours. I took a very deep deep inhale of mine and barely smelled a thing. I have already mixed it in with my shea butter whip. Haven't used it yet though.
  • belasunabelasuna Posts: 599Registered Users
    If it doesn't smell then its not Virgin Coconut Oil. Also VCO is not cheap. It is definitely more expensive than the refined one. Since it was solid white, it's probably a refined coconut oil made from dry coconut not fresh coconut meat (this will always be more expensive) as fractionated is always liquid. Also, VCO is pure white and looks like lard when solid. Refined oil has a slightly greyish or yellow tint when solid (not as white).

I put more detailed info about coconut oil on the thread about heating coconut oil in a crockpot (under Recipe forum also).
    ~belasuna :angel1:
    3a/b, very dry, fine/med-coarse, high porosity
    CG since 7/27/09
    Bella Curl Products
    CW: protein free-cleansing creme
    CO: protein free MRcondish
    Styler: FSG + protein free LI Elixir, Gellie, Shine & Seal Serum
    Lady of Elixir, Keeper of the Secret Blend, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been buying extra virgin coconot oil for a couple years now (first for cooking, recently using on hair). I love, love, love the smell. I always enjoy opening the lid and smelling that wonderful fresh coconut smell. L ike the coconut homemade candy my mom used to make from fresh coconuts and sugar.

And the smell lasts. My first jar of coconut oil (organic, extra virgin) was so large, it lasted me a year, and the great scent lasted the whole time.

Ditto about the white color at room temp. But it turns to liquid immediately in my fingers.

I'd be suspicious if it doesn't smell beautifully coconutty.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    I got a bottle of parachute coconut oil, the one which comes in the blue plastic bottle. Since the bottle wasn't transparent, I cut it open in order to check what's inside. Well the results weren't at all satisfying. The coconut oil at the bottom of the bottle wasn't at all white as good quality coconut oil shoud be, rather it was a yellowish brownish colour.

Well I tossed that bottle and I don't intend to buy any more of that brand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file