Newbie Here-no BC-thinking of Lacefront?

Mrs_NevilleMrs_Neville Posts: 1Registered Users
Hi - new here. Thinking about how exactly to start the process of sporting my own natural curls. I've had relaxers all my life and truly have no clue at all what my natural curls look like. I can assume they are 4a/4b but really haven't any clue.

My hair has been through SO MUCH.

I'm thinking I will continue to grow out the roots without relaxing them, instead of cutting our the relaxer. And, all the while, wear a lacefront wig and just cair for my hair underneath. It's not even past my ears because my last straight style was a Halle Berry pixie cut.

Any advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Is a lacefront a bad idea??

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Hi and welcome to our community!

You might want to post specific questions over on one of the hair boards.

Have you checked out our Grow Out Challenge?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/grow_out_challenge

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • HappyMarilynHappyMarilyn Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hello,

My understanding is that lace front wigs are not that good for your hair in that they do not allow your hair and scalp to "breathe". Also they can feel very hot if you are not used to wigs. I have never wore one so my comments are based on what I have heard from knowledgeable people.

I would recommend doing braids if you don't want to do a big chop. Try to get braids done not too tightly so as not to pull out your baby hair. Also while your hair is in braids do wash it regularly and oil your scalp.

When you remove the braids, make sure to get a deep conditioning treatment and a trim. Keep doing this until your natural hair gets to a length you are comfortable with. I have met women who got braids regularly for about 2 years before wearing their hair out.

I was too impatient, so after 3 months of braiding I BC.
    I would say the advantage of doing a cut early is that you get to learn to take care of your hair while it's short. It can be very daunting to try to learn how to style 2 years of growth when you have never taken care of your curls before.

Good luck
  • aishamodelaishamodel Posts: 136Registered Users
    I think wearing a lace front would be fine. However, you should do your research. Get one that will allow your hair to breathe. You can ask the supplier/maker which would allow that.

I am thinking of getting a lace wigs, and I am already 2 years natural! Just to give my hair a break. I would recommend getting a texture that is close to your texture, and allow you to possibly leave some hair out in the front. depending on how long your hair is, you could do this to avoid glueing, which might ruin your hairline.

Have you thought about braids? Braids really helped me transition. When I clowdried my hair after one year of transitioning with braids it reached my shoulders!

Whether you do braids or a wig, it's all about caring for your real hair in the process. Good luck!
    4a-4b hair. Not sure yet so I'll just say both!
  • FoxyCleopatraFoxyCleopatra Posts: 412Registered Users
    Hi - new here. Thinking about how exactly to start the process of sporting my own natural curls. I've had relaxers all my life and truly have no clue at all what my natural curls look like. I can assume they are 4a/4b but really haven't any clue.

My hair has been through SO MUCH.

I'm thinking I will continue to grow out the roots without relaxing them, instead of cutting our the relaxer. And, all the while, wear a lacefront wig and just cair for my hair underneath. It's not even past my ears because my last straight style was a Halle Berry pixie cut.

Any advice for this newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Is a lacefront a bad idea??

Lacefronts are not a bad idea, ONLY if you know how to apply them properly. I am usually weary of wearing anything that involves glue or tape or whatever. Wearing sew-ins, micro braids, kinky twists, etc. are all good ideas while you are in the transitioning process. Just make sure whatever method you choose allow you to take care of your hair underneath & keep it clean and moisturized!

I'm always glad to see someone transitioning! You and I are in the same boat :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file