WOW Its finna get REAL ugly for N.O. police!

Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
I hope this time unlike most police cases Justice gets served!!

http://www.nola.com/crime/law_and_disorder/

Police supervisor pleads guilty in Danziger Bridge probe; plea deal blows case wide open

By Laura Maggi, The Times-Picayune

February 24, 2010, 3:30PM

-907b19a54f44f2e6_large.jpgJohn McCusker / The Times-PicayuneU.S. Attorney Jim Letten talks to reporters Wednesday after retired New Orleans police Lt. Michael Lohman pleaded guilty to conspiracy to obstruct justice in the Danziger Bridge shootings after Hurrican Katrina.
Retired New Orleans police Lt. Michael Lohman has pleaded guilty in federal court to one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice in the Danziger Bridge shootings, which left two people dead and six others injured after police fired on a group of civilians trapped in the submerged city days after Hurricane Katrina.
Read the original documents
Bill of information charging Lt. Michael Lohman
Original NOPD report on the incident
Supplemental NOPD report on the incident
Two men -- Ronald Madison, 40, who was mentally challenged, and James Brissette, 19 -- were killed. The survivors included a husband and wife, their two teenage children and a nephew.
Lohman, who helped orchestrate an elaborate cover-up of the crime, supervised the investigation and was at the scene on Sept. 4, 2005, according to an 11-page bill of information unsealed today.
According to the document, Lohman was aware that a subordinate planted a gun at the scene, wrote a 17-page police report full of lies about the incident, and encouraged officers at the scene to remove shell casings.

He faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, plus possible restitution.

Lohman's plea in Danziger Bridge case spells trouble for other cops, analysts say

By Gordon Russell

February 24, 2010, 3:47PM

Lt. Michael Lohman's guilty plea today signals a huge break for federal prosecutors, and a potentially devastating blow to the other New Orleans police officers involved in the shooting on the Danziger Bridge and the subsequent investigation of it, lawyers following developments in the case say.
In admitting he conspired to obstruct justice, Lohman acknowledged helping concoct a cover story for a police shooting that left two New Orleanians dead and four injured in the chaotic days after Hurricane Katrina. Among other things, the government says Lohman participated in a scheme to plant a gun at the scene, and helped rewrite police reports to make a fabricated version of events seem more plausible.

katrina-bridge-shooting-4c702f5154723a55_large.jpgAlex Brandon / Times-Picayune archiveIn this Sept. 4, 2005 photo, an unidentified police officer turns the body of a man killed by police on Chef Menteur at the Danziger Bridge in New Orleans. Retired NOPD Lt Michael Lohman pleaded guilty today to conspiracy to obstruct justice in an investigation of killings by police officers in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.Making civil-rights cases against police officers is very difficult in large part because police in such cases often stick together, presenting a story that is internally consistent even if it is at odds with what the government believes is the truth. Lohman's plea changes all that.
"They've broken the blue code, the wall of silence," said former U.S. Attorney Harry Rosenberg. "It takes a lot to break through that strong allegiance among law enforcement officers. But now they've got not just a cooperating witness but one who wore a badge and is admitting he was part and parcel of the effort to cover up what went on."
Getting witnesses to "flip" is crucial in many prosecutions. But it's never more important than in cases in which police officers are defendants, said Dane Ciolino, a defense lawyer and professor at Loyola Law School.
"Nothing makes a civil-rights case stick like another police officer testifying" against fellow officers, Ciolino said. "Typically, the people complaining (of police misbehavior) are criminals or alleged criminals. So the only way to make an effective case is with video or a cooperating police officer.
"In this case, we now know they've got a cooperating police officer and they very well may have some video or audio surveillance. The news couldn't be much worse for them -- it's bad, and it could get even worse."
Read the original documents
Bill of information charging Lt. Michael Lohman

Facts that Michael Lohman admitted to

Original NOPD report on the incident
Supplemental NOPD report on the incident
Ciolino and Rosenberg both noted that it's been several weeks, at minimum, since Lohman agreed to cooperate, and his cooperation could date back as far as May. It's thus plausible that he agreed to have his conversations with other officers recorded, though both lawyers said it's impossible to tell from the documents filed thus far.
As big a victory as Wednesday's news is for federal prosecutors, Rosenberg cautioned that Lohman's plea does not mean the matter is settled.
"It's still not a slam dunk because all this is taking place in the aftermath of Katrina, and I don't know if everyone has full appreciation of the climate down here" at the time, he said. "But the statements Lohman is subscribing to are going to be pretty damning to the other officers."
Prosecutors have already sent target letters to at least two other officers involved in the Danziger incident -- Sgt. Robert Gisevius, who was among the officers who fired their weapons on the bridge on Sept. 4, 2005, and Sgt. Arthur Kaufman, who led the investigation into the matter.
The bill of information charging Lohman makes clear that charges against other officers will be forthcoming.
Rosenberg said he suspects the government will proceed with other indictments shortly, but will first offer potential defendants a brief window of time in which to absorb the news of Lohman's guilty plea and consider their own circumstances.
"I think the government is trying to send a message to the other officers that they may want to consider coming into the fold sooner rather than later," he said. "I think they send out the target letters, announce Lohman is cooperating and then see if other people start knocking on the door
subbrock wrote: »
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I knew in the past they had issues with corruption but I thought they had gotten better.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I knew in the past they had issues with corruption but I thought they had gotten better.
    This.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Finally the truth comes out. I knew something didn't smell right about that whole thing. The media didn't help with the ubsubstantiated rumors of rapes and murder. Police were shooting anyone that moved. Well...the ones that didn't abandoned their post first.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file