How do you choose your foundation color?

CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I took a trip down the cosmetics aisle at Walmart today and saw a couple foundations I would be willing to try. I went to pick one out, then I realized I have NO idea where to start with my coloring. I have always gone to Clinique and been matching but quite frankly I don't like any of the foundations and I am not willing to pay the price of the other brands.

For those of you that pick out your own color, how do you even know where to start?!
Currently Loving:
Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam

Comments

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I always just go to Clinique and ask the saleswoman to match me.

If I had an existing foundation that was a good match, I would take the bottle to the drugstore and try to get the same or a very similar shade.
    ehLB.jpg
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's pretty much impossible to do in the store. The lighting in drugstores tends to be really weird, so you just can't tell if foundation matches your skin. Depending on the store's return policy, you'll get at least 50% of the purchase price back if you return it. You'll probably just have to do a lot of guessing, perhaps at the risk of losing some money.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I use mineral foundation from Merle Normans and just go in person and have an associate match a good tone for me. It was always hit and miss when I bought foundation at Walmart or a grocery store.
    It's pricier foundation but works great and I figure that I'm actually saving money because 1) a lot of stores have a no return policy on used makeup 2) I don't have to bring any back because it's perfect the first time around.
  • shorticurlzshorticurlz Posts: 1,056Registered Users
    I tend to buy two of the same brand foundation in two different colors and mix them to match my skin as it changes from summer to winter.
    Fine, very porous 3a
    Boycotting all brands owned by L'oreal
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Speckla wrote: »
    I use mineral foundation from Merle Normans and just go in person and have an associate match a good tone for me. It was always hit and miss when I bought foundation at Walmart or a grocery store.

I have never heard of this. Where is it located?
    Currently Loving:

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    It's pricier foundation but works great and I figure that I'm actually saving money because 1) a lot of stores have a no return policy on used makeup 2) I don't have to bring any back because it's perfect the first time around.
    Yeah, I agree. I always go to department stores, Sephora, and MAC for foundation, concealer, eye shadow, and lipstick. Between the return policies and being able to test it in the store, it definitely saves money in the long run. Of course, my skin is too pale for drugstore brands, anyway.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I took a trip down the cosmetics aisle at Walmart today and saw a couple foundations I would be willing to try. I went to pick one out, then I realized I have NO idea where to start with my coloring. I have always gone to Clinique and been matching but quite frankly I don't like any of the foundations and I am not willing to pay the price of the other brands.

For those of you that pick out your own color, how do you even know where to start?!
    Not at WalMart, sorry. But if you must...pick a medium shade with a warm/yellow undertone. A lot of brands list which tone categories their shades belong to. Yellow, supposedly, is the most common skin undertone. So start there.

Apply a dime-sized dot of the foundation to your jaw and blend down to your neck. You might want to try this same technique with the next shade lighter and the next shade darker also. Then go outside (during the day) and look at the color strips. Which shade matches you best and blends into your skin without looking obvious. That's your shade.

If none of them blend in go back and try some more. You might have to adjust for your undertone.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. I always go to department stores, Sephora, and MAC for foundation, concealer, eye shadow, and lipstick. Between the return policies and being able to test it in the store, it definitely saves money in the long run. Of course, my skin is too pale for drugstore brands, anyway.

There is no sephora in the state :sad11:
    It greatly upsets me. I just don't have a match at Clinique and the Lancome counter foundations break me out. There aren't many high end foundations in the state it seems.
    Currently Loving:

I have never heard of this. Where is it located?

Here's a linky...

http://www.insiderpages.com/store_finder/find/merle_norman_cosmetics

Their return policy is great. They will refund 100% of your money or exchange a product you don't like even if you use all of it. They exchanged an eyeliner one time. The tip kept breaking off after being sharpened and it was just a nub when I brough it back. I told them that I never used it more than 3 times because it kept breaking. They replaced it for free and the replacement worked great. Very friendly, very professional, and very very helpful.
    Have you tried JC Penny's? A lot of them have mini Sephoras. You can check if yours has one at the JCP website.

Also, you could purchase or swap for samples at Makeup Alley. It's not terribly sanitary, but dabbing it on your jawline and then washing it off shouldn't do any damage.
    Have you tried JC Penny's? A lot of them have mini Sephoras. You can check if yours has one at the JCP website.

Hm, I didn't know that! I bet Portland JCP might have one and I will be there next month. I will check it out.
    Currently Loving:

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    Personally, I start with the lightest shade in the line and work from there. More often than not if the lightest one isn't right for me, none of the shades will work. I'm very fair and exceptionally neutral, so if it's the least bit pink or yellow it'll look weird.

At some point I started blending liquid foundations for a better color match, which is actually pretty effective for me. It means I can adjust for my color and for my coverage needs any way I choose. I need long-wearing foundations because I have oily skin, but they so frequently come up chalky looking on me. Blending a long-wear foundation and a non-long-wear foundation together works perfectly.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You should try independently owned boutique cosmetic stores. Often they have the higher end lines. This is one near me: http://mirrormirrorvt.com/

Try yelp.com

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,228Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not pushing dept. stores - just offering a strategy. Often in department stores, they'll give you a free sample. Good counters are Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown, Lancome and Clinique. Then just take the samples with you to the stores where you want to buy your makeup and hold up the sample against the bottles in the store to get a close match. Some Sephora stores offer free samples also.

The bonus of this is that you have all these little free samples to try out. One thing that's helpful is to see what texture/formulation you prefer. The samples help you figure that out. Oily? Dry? Combo? Sensitive? Some liquid foundations have slight coverage, others are like masks.

After all that, I have to say that I have never been satisfied with a foundation color/formulation and I have bought in both dept. and grocery/drug stores. I'm still searching.... Happy hunting!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SarahMarieSarahMarie Posts: 901Registered Users
    I used to work at Walgreens when I was in school and I know we took back anything and everything. If you bought the wrong foundation, you could return it for 100% money back and try again. I didn't work in cosmetics, but I know that our person there was also able to help with testing colors if you asked. Of course, they're not really trained, and things may have changed in the past few years. I guess my skin is fairly easy to match and I like the L'Oreal Bare Naturale. I only use a little, so it lasts for a while, too. I don't know how it would work on other people, but mine skin is weird. I have very dry cheeks and nose, normal forehead, and almost oily chin.
    SarahMarie wrote: »
    I used to work at Walgreens when I was in school and I know we took back anything and everything. If you bought the wrong foundation, you could return it for 100% money back and try again.
    As of 2009, they'd only let you get back 50%... at least at my local Walgreens.
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    I used to work at Walgreens when I was in school and I know we took back anything and everything. If you bought the wrong foundation, you could return it for 100% money back and try again.

But they'll let you exchange anything, and you can get 100% of your money back in store credit.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • SarahMarieSarahMarie Posts: 901Registered Users

Wow, it may have changed, or that may be a local thing. I remember this one lady used to come in every two or three weeks with an almost completely used something or other and get a refund. It was really ridiculous. I wonder if all the drugstores are that way.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte

At ours it's still 100% money back. I just took a foundation back because yet again I was testing some stuff I saw on YT.. they gave me all my money back at Walgreens.. no questions asked.

I did the same thing at Rite Aid.. no questions asked. Just all my money back.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    Covergirl has this application on their website that allows you to get a Cover girl "equivalent" for the department store shade/brand you know matches you already. I don't know if other drugstore brands have anything similar.

I only wear makeup once or twice a year, tops. I went into my makeup bag the other day and realized I've had the Mac compact in there since college. Not good.
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
  • CurlywavesCurlywaves Posts: 104Registered Users

Hm, I didn't know that! I bet Portland JCP might have one and I will be there next month. I will check it out.

I think the JCP in Waterville has one, too.
    Baby fine 2c/3a...modified CG since 07/30/08 & lovin' it so far :toothy7:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have to retract what I said earlier in this thread. I bought True Match (concealer) and it looks fantastic on me. It's every bit as good as the department store stuff I have, actually it matches a bit better than the Bobbi Brown and Mac I've bought. It's not quite heavy enough to cover really dark spots, but for undereye circles it's fab. I'm encouraged to try the foundation now.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    I have to retract what I said earlier in this thread. I bought True Match (concealer) and it looks fantastic on me. It's every bit as good as the department store stuff I have, actually it matches a bit better than the Bobbi Brown and Mac I've bought. It's not quite heavy enough to cover really dark spots, but for undereye circles it's fab. I'm encouraged to try the foundation now.

I have that too, it works great, my mom put it on me in the store to test it LOL, don't think she was supposed to do that, but it isn't heavy but it still is really good!
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    nevermind..repeat. LOL!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just get the lightest one and hope it is light enough.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,775Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Nude always seems to work for me. I have 2 foundations right now from different companies and they are both in nude. I buy from the drug stores.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the makeup person choose it for me. I am totally inept at anything having to do with choosing makeup.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file