Petnames?

ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
Do you like them or not when in a relationship?

In my current relationship we do not use them in person. Sometimes in text we say "baby", "cutie" or "handsome."

I spoke to him about it. I am not upset that he doesn't say it in person because he is shy about it and so am I. I just feel so awkward saying it.

I notice I am like this with nicknames as well. I know a lot of people who have nicknames they liked to be called but I just feel so weird using them. Shortening of the name is fine or a variation of it like Nikki for Nicole or Steph for Stephanie, but anything else I feel awkward.
3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued

Comments

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My SO and I don't really use pet names. Occasionally we will say "babe" "hun" or "sweetie" but its not a daily thing. I actually call him "G"
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Residual wrote: »

In my current relationship we do not use them in person. Sometimes in text we say "baby", "cutie" or "handsome."

I spoke to him about it. I am not upset that he doesn't say it in person because he is shy about it and so am I. I just feel so awkward saying it.

I notice I am like this with nicknames as well. I know a lot of people who have nicknames they liked to be called but I just feel so weird using them. Shortening of the name is fine or a variation of it like Nikki for Nicole or Steph for Stephanie, but anything else I feel awkward.
    then don't say it if you feel awkward. Let it happen naturally.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We pretty much always call each other 'honey' or 'babe'. We rarely use our names.

I generally call everyone some nickname, but my nicknames are pretty generic. They're not person specific.

hon, sugar, pumpkin, sexypants, shmoochie poo, shmumkin.....

but it's in my personality to do so. If it's not, you don't want to force it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was never comfortable with them either and then when my SO and I started dating 4 years ago it suddenly came naturally. Mostly it's "babe" or "love." I feel weird calling him by his actual name sometimes

• cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
    We refer to each other as 'babe' almost 100% of the time, even in public. I have no idea why.
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    Residual wrote: »

then don't say it if you feel awkward. Let it happen naturally.

Oh, I don't say it. I feel weird if I even think about it, lol. I was just curious as to what others thought.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    We call each other our own made-up petnames,not your typical "honey" or "baby." It's rare when I call him by his first name. We weren't always that way though, definitely moreso that we've been living together for a year+.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I love pet names and nick names. My current boyfriend and I call each other by names that would all be censored here, such as f**khead, bi**h, a**hat, and worse. It's all in fun and we 'get' it so it's cool.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    *LC* wrote: »
    We refer to each other as 'babe' almost 100% of the time, even in public. I have no idea why.
    That's us. Or in public I call him dad.
    We call our son Bud, and sometimes hubs will call me bud when he means babe.
    I love nicknames and making up names.
    I sometimes call hubs Count-smookula. Have no clue where it came from but we've had that name a long time.
    I love pet names and nick names. My current boyfriend and I call each other by names that would all be censored here, such as f**khead, bi**h, a**hat, and worse. It's all in fun and we 'get' it so it's cool.

I was checking the messages at work, and one woman was mad at my boss for not getting back to her sooner, so she left this clippy message about how she needed a call back and blah blah blah. Well at the end, she thought she had hung up, but hadn't yet, and before she slammed down the phone she yells "F*&%$ng DOUCHE BAG!"

It was the funniest thing every. I called my boss and had the whole office listen to the message. Since then, effing douchebag has kind of been the word to use.

But ya, I lovingly call my husband a55 hole, d1ck head, dip sh1t, fu46 tard, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Many years ago I thought the whole "honey, babe" thing was ridiculous. Then I started dating my hubs and the rest is history. We say babe a lot, but I often call him rude names that I'd not repeat in public. He calls me heifer a lot. :lol: It's nice to be so close to someone they don't take it serious when you call them a sh*t weasel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As a joke, I call him PFDB sometimes (stands for Prick Face Dog Boy). Most of the time I call him by his name. Or Stud (if he's being particularly helpful around the house).

He calls me Hon most of the time. Sometimes I think he doesn't remember my name.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My bf pretty much calls me only by pet names. I think I have heard him say my real first name twice.

He says he never really called the other women he's dated by those names or really any names. But some of the names he calls me, are the same names he calls his kids. Strange.

I'm not as big on pet names as he is. I will sometimes call him "hon" but not much more than that.

• mandatoryfunmandatoryfun Posts: 878Registered Users
    *LC* wrote: »

My boyfriend and I are like this, too. I don't know why it comes so naturally to us...it sounds so weird when other people say it.
    CG since 07/26/09
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    My boyfriend and I are that obnoxious couple who only use gushy names for each other. I rarely call him by his real name, and he rarely calls me by mine. I had most of our usual nicknames typed up, but the list was long and silly so I'll just say we use all the traditional ones and some that are our own
    http://www.dormroomcurly.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/dormroomcurly

Fine/thin 2c/3a, Low-Medium Porosity, Dry!
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    There was someone I was involved with in college who I referred to as "Crackhead." That was as close to a pet name as I got. "Sweetie," "dear," "hon" and the like sound fake coming from me.

My dear husband calls me "Beautiful" which is sweet. :)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    we dont use petnames. and im pretty glad we don't because ive used them in past relationships, so its rather impersonal for me now.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    We call each other "hon." We never use each other's actual names.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    We call each other "honey" most of the time.

And I just thought of Shmoopy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

SuZenGuide wrote: »

This is pretty much the daily 'us'. In fact, once and a while I'll be saying something across the room, and in sentence I'll say "Shawn" - not only does that sound so odd to me, but then he'll answer me and kind of emphasize "Cori", to make it obvious that it was just weird that I used his name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iroc wrote: »
    SuZenGuide wrote: »

This is pretty much the daily 'us'. In fact, once and a while I'll be saying something across the room, and in sentence I'll say "Shawn" - not only does that sound so odd to me, but then he'll answer me and kind of emphasize "Cori", to make it obvious that it was just weird that I used his name.

same here. with my ex of 5 years we called each other "hun" 99% of the time. the 1% is when we're pissed off then we use our names.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file