Is this girl's hair 3c or 3c/4a??

barbidollcriolabarbidollcriola Posts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
theres this girl in maxwell's video get to know ya at 3:28 to 3:50 would that be an example of 3c hair or is it 3c/4a hair??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8WYwE3LUI

Comments

• Fab LynneFab Lynne Posts: 6Registered Users
    It looks like it maybe 3C, and it's gorgeous!
    Hair Type: 3C,fine, VERRRYY THICK
    Cowash: Suave Coconut Rinse out: Natures Gate Jojoba, Oyin HH
    DT: Giovanni Smooth as Silk/Natures Gate Jojoba
    Leave-in: KCKT/ GDLI/ GTTT Styling: OSHP/ KCCC/Ecostyler
    Moisture: EVOO/Ohemet AOHM/honey
    pree-poo DT: honey/evoo/avocado oil
  • VIVIDCURLSVIVIDCURLS Posts: 61Registered Users
    • 3c
  • JustSimplyTishJustSimplyTish Posts: 94Registered Users
    Looks 3C to me...I cannot wait till the day my hair is that length....So pretty ...Love it
    BC: Jan 1, 2010
    Hair Type: Curly (who knows), Color Treated
    Shampoo:None
    Conditioner: TJ Nourish Spa, Suave Tropical Coconut
    DC: HV Vatika Frosting, TJ Nourish Spa, Joico K-Pak
    Leave In: KCNT, KBB Milk, KBB Nectar
    Moisturizer: KBB Milk, QBRC
    Sealant: HV Cocasta Oil
    Stylers: AV Whipped Gelly, HV Whipped Gelly, UFD Butter
  • barbidollcriolabarbidollcriola Posts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte

It's 4a hair in the above YT video. I don't see anything 3c about it. Her curl circumference looks to small to be 3c.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    she has to have some 3c in there most of her curls are bigger than coffee stirrer circumference which would be the size of a 4a curl...there about the circumference of a pencil or straw....
    type 3C, is hair with tight curls in corkscrews. The curls can be either kinky, or very tightly curled, with lots and lots of strands densely packed together. Some people refer to this as "big hair." Getting this type of hair to blowdry straight is more challenging than for 3A or 3B, but it usually can be done. This includes those with very tight curls but finer hair, as well as coarser hair. 3C has really really tight curls, like pencil or straw circumference. 3B is like sidewalk chalk or salt shaker circumference, and 4A is like coffee stirrer circumference.
  • NaturallyNikéNaturallyNiké Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^^ Barbie, and Marah it seems like you two dont realize that most people's hair dont fit strictly into 5 categories, most people have mixtures and inbetween sizes...Andre System is a great headstart for finding out about your hair but it is really bogus when you think about it.... it is not as simple as he makes it, and his description of most of the hair types sound very misinforming....nobody can tell you whats going on in YOUR head

the LOIS system is much better http://www.tytecurl.com/v02/hairtypes.htm

Barbie are you trying to find our what you hair type is???...if so just post a few pics, and ask...but I must tell ya that curl size is a small matter (there is texture,porosity,and strand size) when it comes to finding something that works for ya, so dont stress it....
    Niké (Nee-Kay):nike:

My world of curls
    2hchy5z.jpg3C/4A,Fine-Meduim,Thick, Lo Porosity

http://public.fotki.com/lilnicka4u2nv/

Leave-in/Moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Sealants:EVOO, JBCO, Crisco
    DC:Matrix Condtioning Balm,Giovanni SAS,Honey, Glycerin
    Shampoo:Dr.Bronner's Castile soap bar
    Styler: Flaxseed,DM Miracurl, SheaMoist Smoothie, OYH S&D
    ^^ Barbie, and Marah it seems like you two dont realize that most people's hair dont fit strictly into 5 categories, most people have mixtures and inbetween sizes...Andre System is a great headstart for finding out about your hair but it is really bogus when you think about it.... it is not as simple as he makes it, and his description of most of the hair types sound very misinforming....nobody can tell you whats going on in YOUR head

the LOIS system is much better http://www.tytecurl.com/v02/hairtypes.htm

Barbie are you trying to find our what you hair type is???...if so just post a few pics, and ask...but I must tell ya that curl size is a small matter (there is texture,porosity,and strand size) when it comes to finding something that works for ya, so dont stress it....

I appreciate your inpute Nike... but LOL, No.. I've been natural long enough to know what's what about hair types. I personally identify as 3c but I have 3b hair at the crown, nape, and front of my hair. So I am well aware of the various types that can be on one head. Just as I know better than to think all 3c hair corkscrews when it doesn't.

She copied and pasted her definition from NC.. so she's not even using Andre's system because he has no 3c type. And the NC definition is not entirely accurate or cookie cutter for ever 3c.

I think my issue is more with people that are simply in denial about what their hair actually is.. we all know that among people of color 3c hair is considered "better" when in actuality it isn't..it's just a curl size difference. I find it sad that many people have this obsession with having 3c hair and identifying as such when they aren't.

I feel like if you have 4a-4c hair.. just accept it, nuture it and love it as you would if you had any other hair type and as you pointed out for hair care.. hair type isn't even an issue..it's about texture and porosity which I have stated on NC several times in other threads when people have asked these same sort of questions as Barbie.

Plenty of people in the 4 category have awesome hair and take good care of it.. frankly a lot of people in the 4 category have WAY better hair than people in the 3c category because a lot of 4a-4c's are very into hair care..when some 3c's have this mentality that because they have 3c hair they really don't have to focus on their hair care as much...and that's nonsense. Everyone has to take care of their hair if they want some according to it's individual texture, porosity, and density.

It is for this reason a whole thread was made about if there are any REAL 3c's on Youtube.. WHY ? It's because people are on YT with clearly visible 4a hair that wish they had 3c hair and identify as such misleading people and confusing the heck out of people new to natural hair. Which I think only adds to this 3c hair is better than 4a hair foolishness that makes people have more of a poor self image of themselves and start having weird obsessions of trying to make their hair fit into the 3 category when naturally..it just doesn't.

But I can appreciate your perspective... :) Oh and btw, I've seen your vids on YT and I LLLLLLLLLLOVE your hair...
    who's videos
    ????
    who's videos
    ????

Just that one lady from YT that you posted.

Not the lady from the Maxwell's video. On my laptop I couldn't see her hair clear enough to make a determination.. other people said her hair looks 3c..

All I could really see were her curls on top because it was so dark.. and those curls were definitely bigger than 4a. So I would assume the people that commented her hair was 3c are correct. But I just couldn't see her hair well enough..and I looked at the video 5 times.. LOL! (Just so I could really see Maxwell.. but I digress.. ROFL).

But that woman you posted from YT..she has 4a hair.

Now.. here is the thread about REAL 3c's on Youtube if you would like to see it:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=98365

There are links in that thread to people on Youtube that have 3c hair... and you can see their hair clearly.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair type just confuses me in general...I also think that people's curls can stretch or get weighed down with length.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file