Can you use henna if you have color chemical in your hair?

CoaCoaBean08CoaCoaBean08 Posts: 734Registered Users
My mom was telling me this. She said that she couldnt use henna because she has color chemicals in her hair. is this true?
head full of wild crazy kinks and curls :cool:
"Make your choice adventurous stranger;
Strike the bell and bide the danger.
Or wonder, til it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had."

"I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying 'this is fiction.'" -Ian McKellen

Comments

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    I would say yes because it's a natural herbal clay but to be safe, i had to find it in writing.

Check out the Henna for Hair ebook.
    Specifically Page 21.

"Only body art quality henna is safe to apply over dyed, bleached, streaked, highlighted, relaxed, and permed hair."

http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf

ETA: I colored mine three times in 2008 with Naturtint prior to falling in love with henna in 2009.
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    Yes, you can. It's only herbal, and in my opinion streghthens the color treated hair.

I also notice that the sections of my hair that is color treated, the henna brightens it.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks Kinky Rhonnie for the link. I always wondered why people had bad reactions to certain hennas. I had no idea to make those other colors they were mixed with metals and such. I'll stick with regular henna then.

I've been using some henna on a semi-regular basis. My hair likes it. This summer I may color over it though.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • NaturallyCurlyEnnovyNaturallyCurlyEnnovy Posts: 992Registered Users
    Yes, you can. My hair had color on it when I started doing Henna treatments. I will admit it had been at least a year and a half since I had the color applied. But, it was still on my hair when I started using Henna. I never had any issues.
    YouTube & Twitter <<TheCurlyFitChic
    www.thecurlyfitchic.com
    Fotki<< Updated 2/10
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think you can use henna over dyed hair, but not vice versa...when I used to dye they always said to not use on henna'ed hair.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I think you can use henna over dyed hair, but not vice versa...when I used to dye they always said to not use on henna'ed hair.

Oh ok. I won't do it then. Thanks!
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file