Kitchen Counters

VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Hubs and I are thinking about doing a mini makeover in our kitchen. When we built almost 10 years ago, we couldn't get everything we wanted (imagine that!), and the kitchen counters were one thing we slighted ourselves on, figuring we could replace them relatively easy later on. It still might be another year or so, but we are in the "thinking" stage. This is what I want to do: replace counters, add tile backsplash, take down wallpaper and replace with paint. I'd also really like to add bead board under the chair rail, but I don't want to have to take down the chair rail (which is pretty substantial) to do it - is that possible? We went to a home show yesterday and I saw a beautiful piece of granite that would look fabulous in my kitchen.

What kind of counters do you have? Do you like them? How easy are they to take care of? If you had it to do again, would you get the same, or different? TIA!
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Comments

• roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a black granite. I love it, it's easy to take care of and looks beautiful.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    We have granite. I'd prefer a manmade quartz counter top though. I've also entertained the idea of polished poured concrete. Granite is pretty, but a PITA to deal with.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We are in the same boat-when we built we just could not do all the upgrades we wanted to. But we only built 3 years ago so we have some to wait before it makes sense to do it. I love the color of my *cheap* countertops-black with specks of brown/tan in them but mostly black. I would love to have the same in granite. I also want to do the tile backsplash. I also want to upgrade our sink and faucet (we might do that soon).
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • heart-of-dixieheart-of-dixie Posts: 392Registered Users
    I am in the process of doing a kitchen remodel. I have found a ton of good information at
    www.gardenweb.com. Under the home forum section,
    there is a section dedicated to kitchens. Almost everyone that has granite countertops loves them.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,487Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We have granite. I'd prefer a manmade quartz counter top though. I've also entertained the idea of polished poured concrete. Granite is pretty, but a PITA to deal with.
    I'd heard this, and the guy at the show told me they were super simple...of course he was trying to make a sale. What about them is a PITA?
    xcptnl wrote: »
    We are in the same boat-when we built we just could not do all the upgrades we wanted to. But we only built 3 years ago so we have some to wait before it makes sense to do it. I love the color of my *cheap* countertops-black with specks of brown/tan in them but mostly black. I would love to have the same in granite. I also want to do the tile backsplash. I also want to upgrade our sink and faucet (we might do that soon).
    I don't really know what I'm talking about, but if you're thinking about getting one of those "under the counter" sinks (don't know if that's the right name -- the ones where you can wipe stuff off the counter right into the sink), you might want to wait until you get the countertops.

I have a black granite. I love it, it's easy to take care of and looks beautiful.
    What do you do as upkeep?

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    VTmom wrote: »

Wipe it with a damp cloth, sometimes I use Windex Multi-Surface vinegar but I use that all over the kitchen. I have some Weiman's granite cleaner that I use from time to time. But normally, I just wipe them clean with a mild soapy dish cloth and buff them a bit with a microfiber. I haven't had any problems and it looks great. I'm anti housework and find granite meets my needs quite nicely.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.

Wipe it with a damp cloth, sometimes I use Windex Multi-Surface vinegar but I use that all over the kitchen. I have some Weiman's granite cleaner that I use from time to time. But normally, I just wipe them clean with a mild soapy dish cloth and buff them a bit with a microfiber. I haven't had any problems and it looks great. I'm anti housework and find granite meets my needs quite nicely.
    That's pretty much what the guy at the home show said...I just wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. Thanks!

• curlsAboundcurlsAbound Posts: 246Registered Users Curl Novice
    I, too, did/am in the process of doing a mini makeover in my kitchen. I replaced my laminate? formica? countertops with a dark granite (called Antique Brown) and love them! It is a dark espresso brown with flecks of metallic in it. Next is a glossy white subway tile for a backsplash. I don't find it hard for upkeep or cleaning at all but have heard from people that have it that the true black granites that are super shiny are harder to take care of because you can see everything...
    2b/3a in Vancouver, Canada
    loving my own homemade Satsuma scented agave spiked FSG
    faithful to Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Moisturizing Gelly
    also the combo of Satsuma scented AOMM and Biolage Gelée
    Desert Essences Coconut shampoo and conditioner

Discount code:
    For $$$$ off at iherb.com, use this linked code: DEY827

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    My kitchen is about 4 months old. The counters are Eco by Constantino in starlight. http://www.ecobycosentino.com/

From the website:
    ECO™ by Cosentino is a durable surface made of 75% recycled content composed of post-industrial or post-consumer materials and is bound by an environmentally friendly resin which comes in part from corn oil. ECO by Cosentino is also an ideal substitute for natural or engineered stone.

Basically, if you're into green products, it's great.

Good parts:
    Easy to clean
    strong like granite but not as expensive.

Bad parts:
    I underestimated how sparkly it would be. It's kinda too bedazzled for my taste, but it's more of a reflection of the color I chose than the product.
    hello.world.
    web, that looks interesting. By sparkly, do you mean the particles w/in the counter, or the counter is shiny, like a mirror? Did you see it on display first? I see Lowe's sells them. BTW, I like the starlight.

• LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    I'd heard this, and the guy at the show told me they were super simple...of course he was trying to make a sale. What about them is a PITA?
    I don't really know what I'm talking about, but if you're thinking about getting one of those "under the counter" sinks (don't know if that's the right name -- the ones where you can wipe stuff off the counter right into the sink), you might want to wait until you get the countertops.

They are sealed and require re-sealing periodically. Our home was built almost 8 years ago now and we've owned it for just about 2. The previous owners did not maintain the seal at all, so there are spots where there is no sealant left. To seal it, you have to put this sealer stuff on it and not touch it/get it wet for 48 hours. When you barely have time to wipe down the counters before you crash for the night after working 10-12 hour days.... thinking about sealing it and letting it sit untouched is not the first thing on my mind. I don't know, it's probably not that big a deal. I'd just prefer to have one less thing to think about. At this point, we probably won't get around to sealing it for another year. We'll have to plan to be out of the house for a weekend or something to ensure the seal doesn't get screwed up while drying.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Granite is pretty difficult to clean. A lot of basic household cleaners can dissolve the sealant. I wouldn't want granite counters, personally.
    I, too, did/am in the process of doing a mini makeover in my kitchen. I replaced my laminate? formica? countertops with a dark granite (called Antique Brown) and love them! It is a dark espresso brown with flecks of metallic in it. Next is a glossy white subway tile for a backsplash. I don't find it hard for upkeep or cleaning at all but have heard from people that have it that the true black granites that are super shiny are harder to take care of because you can see everything...
    I'm glad you like them. Did you find replacing the counters to be a larger project than you anticipated? When we do get around to it, I'm wondering if I'll feel I underestimated the whole thing. The slab of granite I saw yesterday was gorgeous...it would be really perfect in my kitchen. It was mostly varying shades of brown w/a little subdued green. I've been picturing it every time I go in there. :chef:

I like those but I am ok with the sit on top type too. I really want a black sink-SO is not so keen on the idea.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    They are sealed and require re-sealing periodically. Our home was built almost 8 years ago now and we've owned it for just about 2. The previous owners did not maintain the seal at all, so there are spots where there is no sealant left. To seal it, you have to put this sealer stuff on it and not touch it/get it wet for 48 hours. When you barely have time to wipe down the counters before you crash for the night after working 10-12 hour days.... thinking about sealing it and letting it sit untouched is not the first thing on my mind. I don't know, it's probably not that big a deal. I'd just prefer to have one less thing to think about. At this point, we probably won't get around to sealing it for another year. We'll have to plan to be out of the house for a weekend or something to ensure the seal doesn't get screwed up while drying.
    Thanks for telling me this... this is what I was wondering about. I knew I had heard something about their upkeep and I just couldn't remember what it was. That does sound a bit tedious.

Eilonwy wrote: »
    Granite is pretty difficult to clean. A lot of basic household cleaners can dissolve the sealant. I wouldn't want granite counters, personally.

Like VTmom I have heard this so I was not horribly upset that we did *cheap* ones. When you first see it - it looks like granite but of course close up it does not. And I know lots of people have tile for flooring but I hate the idea of the grout getting dirty etc we went with vinyl. I hate the idea of having to clean things with special stuff, etc. But I do love tile/granite when I see it in Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
    Central Massachusetts

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    webjockey wrote: »
    My kitchen is about 4 months old. The counters are Eco by Constantino in starlight. http://www.ecobycosentino.com/

From the website:
    ECO™ by Cosentino is a durable surface made of 75% recycled content composed of post-industrial or post-consumer materials and is bound by an environmentally friendly resin which comes in part from corn oil. ECO by Cosentino is also an ideal substitute for natural or engineered stone.

Basically, if you're into green products, it's great.

Good parts:
    Easy to clean
    strong like granite but not as expensive.

Bad parts:
    I underestimated how sparkly it would be. It's kinda too bedazzled for my taste, but it's more of a reflection of the color I chose than the product.
    I think I saw this at Ikea the other day. What I saw was definitely called Eco but it was way more expensive than granite. I thought it looked really nice but was disappointed to see that it was maybe 1/3 more.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    With granite, I only seal it once a year so it is not a PITA at all. As for cleaners, just use milder ones and no abrasives and you are fine! I was using milder more natural cleaners before anyhow to cut down on all the chemicals in (possible) contact with food anyhow.

Discount code:

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users

I clean my black granite countertops the same way. I try to keep the use of household cleaners to a minimum anyway. Our house is 4 years old, we've owned it for 2. I swear the previous owners never really used the kitchen cause it looked brand new when we moved in - heh.

The countertops look great and so far aren't showing any signs that they need to be resealed. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I think as long as they are cleaned with mild soap, the finish will last many years.

I also like being able to roll out pastry and knead bread dough on granite. The counters tend to stay cooler and are suited very well to those tasks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm glad you like them. Did you find replacing the counters to be a larger project than you anticipated? When we do get around to it, I'm wondering if I'll feel I underestimated the whole thing. The slab of granite I saw yesterday was gorgeous...it would be really perfect in my kitchen. It was mostly varying shades of brown w/a little subdued green. I've been picturing it every time I go in there. :chef:

Sorry, I didn't reply to the question that was asked of me a few posts above ....

Well, in terms of the size of the project, it definitely was much less 'crazy' than it would've been had I replaced all cabinets and flooring as well. I didn't want to deal with a long term project and all the dust and people traipsing in and out of my place ... Plus, my cabinets are still in good condition and I like them so ... However, it still is an undertaking to replace the counters as you must also think whether or not you want to replace the sink and faucet as well. (I figure you might as well as this is your chance to get it all in at once. At least, that's what I decided to rationalize it for myself! ;) ) But for me, it was definitely worth it; every time I go into my kitchen and see my sleek granite countertops and bartop, I smile.

Discount code:

• MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I am really, really sick of granite counters everywhere. I love Silestone and Vetrazzo (recycled glass) though.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
    web, that looks interesting. By sparkly, do you mean the particles w/in the counter, or the counter is shiny, like a mirror? Did you see it on display first? I see Lowe's sells them. BTW, I like the starlight.

The particles within the counter. Since there's recycled mirror in the product, there are little sparkly flecks.

Edited to add:
    The kitchen sink, faucet, and backsplash tile were all found through Costco.com I highly recommend using them for some of your construction materials because of their great return policy. Also, the prices are pretty good too.

here's a link to the photos taken of the house constuction. The pics are out of sequence, but there are some photos of the countertops. The cabinets are bamboo.
    hello.world.
    Well, in terms of the size of the project, it definitely was much less 'crazy' than it would've been had I replaced all cabinets and flooring as well. I didn't want to deal with a long term project and all the dust and people traipsing in and out of my place ... Plus, my cabinets are still in good condition and I like them so ... However, it still is an undertaking to replace the counters as you must also think whether or not you want to replace the sink and faucet as well. (I figure you might as well as this is your chance to get it all in at once. At least, that's what I decided to rationalize it for myself! ;) ) But for me, it was definitely worth it; every time I go into my kitchen and see my sleek granite countertops and bartop, I smile.
    This is me. My cabinets still look like new and I like them. My floors, too, so I don't have any interest in replacing either of them. I'm hoping this "mini" makeover will satisfy my urge for a little change.

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    We have a Silestone quartz countertop. We love it! Totally maintenance free and durable. We chose an undermount sink too, so we got a copper sink and the quartz top so we know they will last forever.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    guano -- webjockey, what kind of flooring did you go with in the kitchen? I can't tell in the photos.

We didn't replace the vinyl flooring, that's our next (and last) step for the kitchen. Everything else has been upgraded.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    webjockey,

I really like your house.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, webjockey. Your house looks beautiful. I didn't realize you had come so far in construction. Are you moved in?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have ceramic tile counters. I hate hate HATE them. I'm going to replace soon (along with an undermount stainless sink). If the eco/silestone products were cheaper, I would use them, but they're just as expensive as granite, if not moreso, and, quite frankly, they look like cheapo formica. For the same money, I can get a "wow" factor with granite that buyers are always looking for, which keeps the resale value of my home up, so I'm going to go with granite. I don't use many household cleaners anyway...just usually water or well-diluted mild dish detergent to clean my counters, so I'm not worried about compromising the seal on granite.

I really like the look of poured concrete counters, but I hear it cracks if it's not done just right, and how it's done is going to vary widely by contractor, so it's just too chancy for me.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have ceramic tile counters. I hate hate HATE them. I'm going to replace soon (along with an undermount stainless sink). If the eco/silestone products were cheaper, I would use them, but they're just as expensive as granite, if not moreso, and, quite frankly, they look like cheapo formica. For the same money, I can get a "wow" factor with granite that buyers are always looking for, which keeps the resale value of my home up, so I'm going to go with granite. I don't use many household cleaners anyway...just usually water or well-diluted mild dish detergent to clean my counters, so I'm not worried about compromising the seal on granite.

I really like the look of poured concrete counters, but I hear it cracks if it's not done just right, and how it's done is going to vary widely by contractor, so it's just too chancy for me.

Me, too. It's a PITA to keep the grout clean. I can't wait until we can afford to upgrade them.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    guano -- webjockey, what kind of flooring did you go with in the kitchen? I can't tell in the photos.

We didn't replace the vinyl flooring, that's our next (and last) step for the kitchen. Everything else has been upgraded.

The floors are bamboo. They are Ty Pennington (yes that Ty Pennington) stained bamboo in sambuca.

Good parts: It's sustainable, and beautiful when clean. Easy to install. Relatively cheap.

Bad parts: it's a pita to keep clean because it's a dark wood. All dirt shows much quicker than a lighter wood floor. I've only found one product that cleans it really well, and it's like 10 per bottle. The Bona stuff doesn't work at all and leaves a dull film.

Also it does ding easier than a hardwood floor, but it's much better than the cheaper bamboos I've seen out there. If you're going to go w/bamboo anyway, it's a good product.

We moved in in late November. It's awesome!!!!!
    hello.world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file