dress styles for an apple shape

rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
a dear friend of mine has a charming 13-year-old daughter. she's into horses and dogs and Apple computers and wants to learn to sew.

a few times last year, her dad brought her over and we sewed some bedding items for her room and made a blanket for her horse.

she is graduating grade school this year and would like to make her own dress. so in a few weeks, she and i are going pattern shopping.

Claire is an apple shape, and i have NO idea what style of dress would be suitable for her. she wants strapless, her parents have both put the kibosh on that (i agree with them).

i've watched enough of What Not to Wear to know that i need to do something to give her the illusion of a waist, but other than that, i'm not sure what direction to go.

could the fashionistas help me out? i'm at a loss...
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!

Comments

• kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    STAY AWAY FROM STRAPLESS!!! Seriously, they have a bad habit of falling down at the worst times....
    ....not that I would know or anything....:)

Even from one apple to another apple there are variations, and very few people fit into one category....(I'm apple/hourglass...I have a defined waist, but I have a bigger bust measurement than my hips, so not a true hourglass) So I would say go into a store and try on dresses until you find a style that she looks good in. Also, see if you can convince her into a skirt. It would be a much quicker (and less frustrating) project because there wouldn't be so many darts and such.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Would a v-neck wrap style dress (with side tie) be appropriate for a 13yo?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think she should look through some catalogs that sell her size range and pick a few things she likes, then the three of you can decide what would work best and go from there. Unless she's quite over weight, I don't know how much shape your average 13 year old has anyway, so I wouldn't worry much about that. A line and empire waist seem to help a whole bunch of figure issues.
  • KindredsTwin1983KindredsTwin1983 Posts: 347Registered Users
    How much of an apple is she? Like, does she look almost pregnant?

How about a wrap dress, June Cleaver style? A wrap dress a classic style that will last forever, and compliments ALL body types.
    Hair Type - 3c, with a touch of 4a and a touch of 3b

Favorite Detangler - Any conditioner with high amount of behentrimonium mehtosulfate

Favorite Leave-in Conditioners - Suave Coconut, Giovanni Smooth and Silk and Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Pantene Relaxed and Natural

Favorite Hair Moisturizers - Silk Elements Hairdress
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Does a 13 year old really want a June Cleaver style wrap dress that will last forever?

Just ask her what she wants.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CGNYC wrote: »
    Does a 13 year old really want a June Cleaver style wrap dress that will last forever?

Good question. I can't see my 14 year old being interested in a wrap style dress. I nixed the strapless last year, too. What about a similiar style, but with narrow straps (1-2 inches) to hold it up? That's what DD wore, it looked very nice, was age appropriate, and yes, very much like many of the other girls were wearing. You could go to the mall to try on various styles. Maybe get the input from salespeople?
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think she should look through some catalogs that sell her size range and pick a few things she likes, then the three of you can decide what would work best and go from there. Unless she's quite over weight, I don't know how much shape your average 13 year old has anyway, so I wouldn't worry much about that. A line and empire waist seem to help a whole bunch of figure issues.

I agree with the bolded part. I'm not sure what is good for an "apple shape." It might please her and help her feel good about her appearance, whatever her body shape to focus on what colors might flatter her face/hair.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    All from Macys

722942_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

728492_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

but make it with a not-so-deep V
    728034_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

728508_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

718951_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

this one is cute, but needs to be longer for a 13 year old
    718916_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

722946_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

712107_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

719257_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&wid=167&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    All from Nordstrom

_5974992.jpg

_5974991.jpg

_5983410.jpg

_5929744.jpg
    All from Torrid

534592_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

542916_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

514082_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

535933_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

593210_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

581864_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

572421_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

525453_hi?wid=150&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.0,0.0,0,0&iccEmbed=0
  • ursulaursula Posts: 1,461Registered Users Curl Neophyte

ITA! I doubt she would want a wrap dress. And I agree with kenzallan1212 that there are many variations on the apple shape. I prefer Trinny and Susannah's classification system of body types:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-488236/Trinny-Susannah-reveal-12-womens-body-types--you.html

Using the apple-pear binary, I'm an apple, but with their more precise system, I'm a cornet. It makes a difference in what looks flattering, IMO. I like KurlyKae's idea of just trying on a bunch of styles at the mall.

Most of the styles posted by Windflower would probably look good on her. I bought a dress similar to the first style she posted and was surprised by how flattering the banded waist (is that what you call it? Kind of like a built-in cummerbund) was. I would also recommend avoided spaghetti straps if she's big on top. Use thick straps.
    In search of a lost signature...
    Rou,
    What type of dress did you and the young woman sew?
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I liked that link. I feel too big to be a true hourglass, and the cello makes much more sense to me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Windflower wrote: »
    Rou,

we didn't...

her mother didn't want her spending time with me.

:(
    My blog:

rouquinne wrote: »
    Windflower wrote: »
    Rou,

we didn't...

her mother didn't want her spending time with me.

:(

Why not?? You're one of the nicest people I know!! Well, I don't really know you but....you know what I mean....

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    she didn't think it was appropriate for her daughter to spend time with one of her father's friends. not sure what changed... :(
    My blog:

I'm sorry rou, I hate it when people do stuff like that....:sad3:

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rouquinne wrote: »
    she didn't think it was appropriate for her daughter to spend time with one of her father's friends. not sure what changed... :(

Sounds like a little insecurity on the mother's part.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file